Dishonored impressions

Just finished it.Very good game but as Gaxkang said not good as Deus Ex:HR.Bit strange thing is that DX:HR scored lower score overall and wasn't received as well by gamers as Dishonored.

Just finished it.Very good game but as Gaxkang said not good as Deus Ex:HR.Bit strange thing is that DX:HR scored lower score overall and wasn't received as well by gamers as Dishonored.

Not really strange. It's due to the mythical status of the original Deus Ex. I find that a lot of people were overly harsh on DE:HR - based on a somewhat exaggerated memory of the quality of DE.

I think DE:HR outdoes DE in several ways - and ends up being on par in most other ways.

But, considering the legacy of DE - it's a minor miracle that HR was as well received as it was - and getting the core fans to acknowledge it as a worthy sequel is quite an achievement.

Anytime a sequel is 10 years more recent than its predecessor, it's undoubtably going to be better in some ways. That's a given unless the devs were completely incompetent. That said, I still feel the original Dues Ex was better for its time.

Anytime a sequel is 10 years more recent than its predecessor, it's undoubtably going to be better in some ways. That's a given unless the devs were completely incompetent. That said, I still feel the original Dues Ex was better for its time.

Technically, sure. But in terms of gameplay, the overall feature-set and so forth - I find it's rare to have sequels live up to classics.

I think DE:HR outdid DE in several ways in terms of gameplay. Hacking was quite superior, the basic stealth and cover mechanics were superior - the gunplay was superior. I think the power/upgrade arsenal was superior. The NPC interaction was superior.

The biggest weakness was the boss fight design - and I didn't like the balance of the energy system. Also, the game was overly generous with Praxis points.

As for time of release - I'll admit that Deus Ex was quite ahead of its time, even if it did borrow quite a few gameplay elements from games like Thief and System Shock.

The level design is a wash, in my opinion. DE had bigger levels, but much less visual diversity. Also, I find I appreciate the content density of DE:HR a lot.

But I think we've been through this before. We just appreciate different things.

Suffice to say, I disagree on a few of those points, but yeah.. we've already been through that.

I do think it was a worthy sequel though, and it was probably as good as we could expect for that type of game in the current era.

In Dishonored non-lethal you have to carry your unconscious bodies for miles otherwise they will be found (or will die from falling etc). In DX:HR there are clearly rooms that are 'off limits' to the guards, so the game doesn't make you feel like an undertaker. +1 DX:HR

Unconscious bodies need to be put on high area or trash bind, otherwise they will count as kills (eaten by rats or fallen somewhere) when you finish the map. Unconscious guards knows exactly where you are when they wake up too...

The guards have patterns though, but reload seems to screw the timing. They also seems to "pick" unconscious guards patterns sometimes. I strangled 3 guards on a map in exactly the same spot, because of this.

How does an unconscious body die from falling?

If you put the unconscious body close to a ledge he might fall off because of the radgoll.

I tend to put bodies higher up to avoid them being eaten by rats, so some slip down and might die from the "fall".

I also once killed an unconscious dude by running over his body. :/

Strange. I was looking forward to Dishonored but now it's moved down to low on the buy list... Doesn't seem like they implemented stealth correctly. Major issue for a non-lethal sneaker, like myself. Not really interested in playing a full-on bloodthirtsy assassin. There are "other" games for that.

Well, it's certainly no Thief or The Dark Mod, but its stealth mechanics are on par with any other sneaker out there. If you're a stealth game veteran you'll manage (after realising, that you need cover or elevation instead of shadows). In some places it even beats Thief (I especially like how guards can be a bit unpredictable, so you need more skill than just memorizing their patrol routes. While i know, that lots of stealth game newbies lament this as something bad, i strongly disagree).

Back
Top Bottom