Risen - Official Blog Launched

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver have launched a blog subsite for Risen. there isn't much there at the moment but should be worth watching:
Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver welcome all their fans to the Risen blog. Soon you will find more here on the topics of role playing games, game development, and of course Risen, the new project from Piranha Bytes for the Xbox 360™ and the PC! Every now and then, Ralf, Mike, Björn, Kai, and friends will give you a look behind the scenes and let you share in the development. Furthermore, Deep Silver will keep you up to date on important events, contests, and community actions. We look forward to seeing you on a regular basis!
More information.

I hope they will update it often with screenshots, and music tracks, and movies, and contests, and demos and....! Err... okay, maybe just with some screenshots and music. ;) Anyway, I'm looking forward to any future updates.

One of the extremely few titles to get me excited... I'm very interested to see if they can carry on the legacy of the first two Gothics successfully. My gut instincts tell me they can, so that's something ;)

That line makes me nervous.....

I believe they said that PB will first finish the game for the PC, and then they will focus on the Xbox360. And I'm not sure, but I think I even read on the risen forums that some other team will be handling the console port? Not sure about that though.

I look at Sacred 2 and I'm not so nervous ... it might be coming for consoles as well but it is very much a PC game.

Dunno why the fear, the first Gothics could have been easily mistaken for console-to-PC ports, with the arcadey combat and the somewhat clunky inventory.

The first Gothic was originally intended for consoles, so that's not surprising.

Indeed, that's why the controls are so ackward for many pc gamers. Fortunately for me I wasn't much of a gamer at all (not that I am one now, but ..) so the controls were just something I needed to learn like I did for every game.

Some new info found on the GameStar preview.

General:

The hero was a passenger of the ship.
He's nameless again.
The first person you meet in the game is a woman.
The woman Sara and our hero are the only survivors of the wreck.
The outlaws/rebels live in a swamp camp.
The Inquisitor resides in a Volcano Stronghold.
The Volcano is active.
There will be cinematic sequences.
You have to choose a fractions almost from the very beginning of the game.
GameStar thinks the game is gonna be released latest at fall.

Monsters/Races:

Stingrats (Stachelratte)
Gnomes (neutral)
Boars, wolves, skeletons etc.
Gyrgers (evil and good, a sort of own race.)
Vultures
Ghouls
Ashbeasts (an eyeless, earless, noseless gorrila like magical monster)
http://risen.lefora.com/2009/01/25/pics/page1/ <----- Check it out!

Me too but don't forget Gothic 3, that was toxic waste compared to Gothic 1 and 2, it felt like American consolized trash, with crappy American voice actors that they dub Anime with :/

The only good thing about the third one was the music, the rest was kind of bad. At least they got a new publisher now, nothing can be worse than Jowood can it? lol.

- The vulcano was dormant before but now, whenever it erupts, new ruins rise from the ground
- Creatures that can be found in the ruins are (at least) the ashbeast and skeletons; monsters down there are supposed to be scary, have a good hearing and sharp claws
- Ruin exploration will be rewarded by finding mighty artefacts (what a surprise )
- Some details are still missing
- Realtime shadows and "lavishly" illumination system
- Sounds are calculated dynamically; the ruins "soak up" the sound of the environment and a wind (draught) is blowing through the debries every now and then because the lava from the vulcano creates a stack effect (like a chimney)
- There will be traps to disarm and riddles to solve
- Sometimes, you will need to transform into another creature to progress further into the caves
- About 40% of the play time will be underground

Credits to foobar

I'm kinda nervous about the last one, I hate dungeon crawling.

C'mon dungeon crawling is the thing!
Maybe but not for Gothic-style games.
Sleepers temple and Halls of Idorath weren't the most interesting locations in Gothics.
VoM and Khorinis were.

Well I don't agree. To me The Temple of Krushak was stunning. Yes VoM was awesome but the temples were awesome in their own way. I don't compare them really I enjoy them differently.

Maybe but not for Gothic-style games.
Sleepers temple and Halls of Idorath weren't the most interesting locations in Gothics.
VoM and Khorinis were.

It is all in how they handle the balance of combat and questing.

Back
Top Bottom