RPGWatch Feature: Age of Decadence Reader Interview

VDweller said:
Why? Too much?
No, that price is very reasonable. Academagia, somewhat similar in that it is a huge game for a "niche audience", was sold at the same price and from what I gather the developers initially wanted to sell it with a lower price but their DD partners encouraged them to raise it.

VDweller said:
No.

For example, in the second thieves guild quest you're told that about a valuable shipment. You can:

- set up an old fashioned ambush "highwaymen" style (you and other members of the guild)
- set up a trap (mentioned in the article)
- forge an order redirecting the shipment to the guild's safe house (a very complicated option involving quite a lot, plus you get quite a few options at the safe house)
So there are no quests which are outright denied to certain characters based on their stats and skills?

Let me illustrate what I mean: A questgiver, let's say a traveling merchant, might only be looking for a bodyguard, so only a sufficiently intimidating warrior would be offered that particular quest. Or someone might need a very specific potion. Or a wild animal might need to be slain, where ranged weapons might be the only safe choice.

Having multiple path for a quest is of course good. But having unique, little quests only accessible by fulfilling certain skill requirements could go a long way into making each character feel unique.

Regarding the last question, I do think VD is way off if he thinks "pure" RPGs are not part of the mainstream of gaming.

Because?
I can obviously only talk from personal experience, but the people I know that have never played a good RPG are definitely in the minority of gamers. They might not worship Avellone or mourn the demise of Troika, but they enjoy a good RPG when they see one.

One thing Vince, and I noticed this in the latest combat build, when you up the resolution it gets very hard to read the text when in conversation mode. Will there be an option to increase text size???

I'm curious about this as well. Would love to see font-size options, as small text has been a problem for me in several games.

The game sounds good, except I play mages. I want this game to get finished so Vince can make a "real" crpg :D

Yes, there will be an increased font size for larger resolutions :)

See, I knew I should have asked this in the interview;)

Personally I think 25 is the going rate for an indie rpg now, I really didn't blink at that. Thats an order of pizza guys, were not talking huge amounts of money here.

I agree with you. Its not much money if you look at the fun/cost ratio !
To the movie cost perhaps half but it only last 2 hours. This game last alot longer then 2 hours.

I'm with Nut on this, I only play mages too!! :)

I just wish I was a German distributor - I'd put all of these games on discs and sell them here in Germany - because there is still a part of the audience" who prefer retail.

Germany is different in several things regarding games and markets, I guess.

I just wish I was a German distributor - I'd put all of these games on discs and sell them here in Germany - because there is still a part of the audience" who prefer retail.

Germany is different in several things regarding games and markets, I guess.

Alrik, IIRC Vault Dweller announced that the game will be available boxed for ordering worldwide. The price is unknown, though.

As a fellow German, you should do as I do: Order a boxed copy and be happy. The chances of this game getting a german publisher are very, very small, after all possible candidates (FIP-Publishing, CDV, Atari Germany, TGC, HMH) have gone belly up or got themselves burned with their last hardcore RPG (BHV with "World of Chaos").

Add me to the mage-only list.

OK I can make the occasional exception, especially if there's a glossy world map to be had :)

I'm very much looking forward to this game.
25$ is a fair price.

Nice interview, Rune.

I generally only play mages, but I'm looking forward to a game where an intelligent character actually gets special paths and non-combat options (instead of just more mana). I want to play an adventurer-scholar, beating the plebs with his keen wits! :D

Yes, there will be an increased font size for larger resolutions :)

Ah, thanks for this. You guys will be getting my money for sure. I'll probably buy the boxed version, largely to support projects such as this. I hope your profit margin is larger with the boxed version, although I know actual printing and binding isn't cheap.

The price seems about right to me. I'll probably end up getting the box version so I can wax nostalgic about colour game manuals.

Full color manual!
Glossy map!

Looks like the boxed version will be worth it.

Thanks for the interview Rune. More I hear about this game more I'm impatient with the release of it. I never remember waiting an indie game as much as AoD. It's been quite some time since I played a deep text heavy RPG as this (it has been ten years since I last play Arcanum). I'm definitely going to buy the boxed version if they send to eastern europe.

Alrik, IIRC Vault Dweller announced that the game will be available boxed for ordering worldwide. The price is unknown, though.

As a fellow German, you should do as I do: Order a boxed copy and be happy. The chances of this game getting a german publisher are very, very small, after all possible candidates (FIP-Publishing, CDV, Atari Germany, TGC, HMH) have gone belly up or got themselves burned with their last hardcore RPG (BHV with "World of Chaos").

The price is in this interview - $50 for the full boxed version.

The price is in this interview - $50 for the full boxed version.

Sorry, didn't read it. Just reacted to Alrik's posting.

50$ = 36 €. Nice price :)

I think p&p will add another tenner, though :-/

Back
Top Bottom