RoA: Blade of Destiny - Several Patches Released

cnut, if you say it's playable I'll grab it too. you've earned my trust with LoD.

I got bored and am downloading this now. I'll post initial impressions from the current version and let you guys, especially those watching their money, know when I believe the game is stable. I'm sure its still buggy right now, but I want to see where they're at.

Thanks, I'm looking for a new RPG and ROA might do the trick. If possible, try and post tonight because I am toying with getting either Age of Wonders 2 or Spellforce 2. Two hybrid RPGs that are not likely to satisfy.

CRPG gamer hungry . . . . . .

I got bored and am downloading this now. I'll post initial impressions from the current version and let you guys, especially those watching their money, know when I believe the game is stable. I'm sure its still buggy right now, but I want to see where they're at.

Will be interesting to see what you make of it.

Random thoughts:

Okay, rolled a party and played through the first dungeon tonight. You create a party of 6 and I'd suggest giving everyone some type of missile weapon. Spells will fail a lot and you'll also miss quite a bit with all weapons, but the enemies suck at first too, so it evens out.

I went with a dwarf, warrior, Leaf Elf, Ice Elf, Witch and Magician. The graphics are about the same as Two Worlds I, or slightly worse. Magician killed more baddies than anyone else, with fulminictus, I think. Ice elf sucks with bows, but is decent with thrown.

The first town is huge, but there really isn't anything to differentiate one store, inn, tavern, temple from the other. No random barrel smashing and the whole game takes a minimalist approach to treasure. You might find 100 gold or less in the whole first dungeon unless you want to lug a lot of weight around to sell the junk.

Had fun with it tonight, but the game did lock up 2 or 3 times, so save frequently.

@joxer: no respawns in the first dungeon at least.

Cool C-nut, thanks for the tips.

Keep posting - while trying to decide what to play I found Risen 2 in my steam queue, so I downloaded and installed that game. BTW, I have no problem with a Two World 1 look. I've pledged to some KickStarters that have a far worse graphic quality.

Here's a very important tip for anyone who decides to play this. Make sure and give every character the max in strength. Treasure is heavy! 13 is the max and even my elf and magican types have it. Your fighters will need to upgrade strength for the first few levels; you get one chance for a new point every level, to be able to wear better armors.

This is a real crpg when it comes to encumbrance. 5 swords will weigh you down and you won't be able to move very far in turn based combat. You need 3 AP to attack, so if you're carrying too much, you'll just be a sitting target. The best plan is to kill everything in the dungeon and go back for treasure once everything is cleared out. There are no wandering encounters so this is a viable tactic.

The complaints on the forums seems to be that there are only a dozen dungeons in the whole game and not much to do in towns at all. I haven't been outside the first town yet, so I don't know how that will play out.

Wow, fantastic tip

Worthy of the Might and Magic 7(?) tip to load everyone up with bows when you start the game.

Risen 2 is no Risen 1, let alone Gothic. I might be jumping into ROA pretty soon.

@joxer: no respawns in the first dungeon at least.

Say no more!

I don't care for remaining bugs, this is instabuy for me.

I had fun with it this weekend. It could get very repetitive fast if the game doesn't offer more down the line. The devs admit the game isn't done and they're adding stuff all the time. What I play today won't be the same game in 3 months, but there was enough here for me to get $20 of fun out of it, I think. Do not read the rest if you like a challenge. The below is for those who like to "game" their games.

If you want an easier game:
create one character with good streetwise, appraise, and fast talk. Add 5 pre-created characters from the temple, strip them and then take two steps outside and sell all their stuff. Note, there is no reason to do this, as the game assumes you only have 30 Ducats to spend and the challenge is set to that level. You can make 300-400 Ducats if you sell all the gear at the temple. I did that the first time and then started over as my party was too well equipped, by far, for the challenges of the first dungeon.

What I play today won't be the same game in 3 months
Good. Because in 3 months they can add infinite mobs so I'll jump in before they get the idea to do something like that.

Risen 2 is no Risen 1, let alone Gothic. I might be jumping into ROA pretty soon.

Risen 2 gets better later on. A few of the bigger islands bring the Gothic vibe back.

I will wait 3 months :)

And in the meantime you will...

Oh I still have 5 or 6 games in my stash to keep me occupied

Tetris, Solitaire, Reversi, Hearts and… 5th is? :evilgrin:

Mahjong? :)

Actually, I have never managed to play Drakensang further that the first city. And, would you believe, I haven't yet touched Deus Ex Human Revolution. Or Venetica…

OMG a blasphemer! :beadyeyed:

Quick, install 'em!
Or buy RoA already. :D

You invested money in Attic Entertainment joxer? :lol:

Nah, I wish I had enough money enough to do something like that.
Then again, I'd probably invest into sure bets like those different devs in Montreal for example.

I will wait 3 months :)

Not a bad plan. You'll get a more fleshed out game as the devs are trying to fix their mistake. I guess enough early adopters bought this so they can stay afloat. Crafty Games is mostly a browser-based dev, so I don't mind supporting them in expanding their horizons. They want to make Star Trail and Shadows over Riva too, so they're really trying to get this game up to snuff.

Back
Top Bottom