Neverwinter Nights: EE - New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Neverwinter Nights: EE - New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea

Default Neverwinter Nights: EE - New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea

August 29th, 2019, 16:05
Originally Posted by you View Post
Don't know the accuracy of these reviews but a lot of them are in the last 2 - 4 months.
I have played NWN:EE over the last year on my gaming PC laptop, Samsung Android tablet, and most recently been replaying some of it on my MacBook Pro.

Have not had a single crash, a single ‘game ending bug’, a single unexpected behavior.

I will just file those reviews with the bulk of YouTube comments … basement dwelling trolls who have decided to have an agenda against a developer or other company based on X, and copy-pasta false arguments to pretend that there are actual issues in an attempt to financially punish the developer for the perceived grievances.

We watched a movie recently, and when I went to leave a review I noticed that the reviews were bimodal - 5s and 1s (it really didn’t deserve either). The 5s reflected that it was a sweet and fun little rom-com that delivered exactly the feel-good experience you could easily predict. The 1s on the other hand … almost universally had an all-caps mention in the first sentence about ‘pornography’ and how a warning should have been attached, with most talking about ‘homosexual agenda. Reality? There was a secondary character (sister to main character, appears in <5% of film) … and in the first several minutes this character has a <0.5second closed-mouth kiss with another woman. That is all. Based on reality, it is easy to discount the entirety of those reviews as having a political agenda and not being honest or worth reading or considering (unless you are such a homophobe that the thought of a quick peck sends you into a tizzy). So - I see these NWN reviews as likely the same.
--
-- Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch
Moderator

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 14,144
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 29th, 2019, 17:18
So is the module any good? Anyone care to share their opinions?
Elwro is offline

Elwro

Elwro's Avatar
Filthy Codex Spy

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 29th, 2019, 17:59
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
We watched a movie recently, and when I went to leave a review I noticed that the reviews were bimodal - 5s and 1s (it really didn’t deserve either). The 5s reflected that it was a sweet and fun little rom-com that delivered exactly the feel-good experience you could easily predict. The 1s on the other hand … almost universally had an all-caps mention in the first sentence about ‘pornography’ and how a warning should have been attached, with most talking about ‘homosexual agenda. Reality? There was a secondary character (sister to main character, appears in <5% of film) … and in the first several minutes this character has a <0.5second closed-mouth kiss with another woman. That is all. Based on reality, it is easy to discount the entirety of those reviews as having a political agenda and not being honest or worth reading or considering (unless you are such a homophobe that the thought of a quick peck sends you into a tizzy). So - I see these NWN reviews as likely the same.
Yep, and that is exactly why people need to be wary of user-scores. Too many user-reviews are motivated by an emotional reaction rather than an attempt to give the game/movie/show an objective review.

That's why I get a kick out of people who dismiss critics but think their fellow users are somehow more honest and reliable.

In truth, one should use a combination of sources to get an impression of something, and, more importantly, try to experience it themself.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#23

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 26,899
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2019, 01:57
I don't look at the score - i read the reviews and the ones I read were very specific about what didn't work. It sounds like there was a patch a couple of months ago that broke a lot of things and they haven't been fixed (at least when the rewviews were made).

Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I have played NWN:EE over the last year on my gaming PC laptop, Samsung Android tablet, and most recently been replaying some of it on my MacBook Pro.

Have not had a single crash, a single ‘game ending bug’, a single unexpected behavior.

I will just file those reviews with the bulk of YouTube comments … basement dwelling trolls who have decided to have an agenda against a developer or other company based on X, and copy-pasta false arguments to pretend that there are actual issues in an attempt to financially punish the developer for the perceived grievances.

We watched a movie recently, and when I went to leave a review I noticed that the reviews were bimodal - 5s and 1s (it really didn’t deserve either). The 5s reflected that it was a sweet and fun little rom-com that delivered exactly the feel-good experience you could easily predict. The 1s on the other hand … almost universally had an all-caps mention in the first sentence about ‘pornography’ and how a warning should have been attached, with most talking about ‘homosexual agenda. Reality? There was a secondary character (sister to main character, appears in <5% of film) … and in the first several minutes this character has a <0.5second closed-mouth kiss with another woman. That is all. Based on reality, it is easy to discount the entirety of those reviews as having a political agenda and not being honest or worth reading or considering (unless you are such a homophobe that the thought of a quick peck sends you into a tizzy). So - I see these NWN reviews as likely the same.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,386
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 30th, 2019, 02:13
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I haven't come across any game ending bugs and all the modules have worked fine for me (including Aelund Saga etc). I've got 70hrs in the EE. Not saying there aren't problems, just that my personal experience has been positive.
The system requirements for the game are:

Minimum:
OS: Windows 7, 8, or 10
Processor: 1 GHZ
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 3.0 compatible
Storage: 10 GB available space

So I bought the game to play the EE modules on my old Windows 7 laptop. The Diamond Edition works perfectly on that machine, but I was concerned that the EE might increase the requirements. It matches the above minimum though.

I had game ending crashes from the outset at the start of Darkness Over Daggerford. I was ok standing in the first room, but as soon as I clicked the door to exit the room, the game crashed, no matter what I did in the options and no matter how many times I turned it on and off again and no matter how many times I made a new character.

I postponed playing it on my 'old games laptop' and it's now queueing in my 'to play' games on my up to date Windows 10 laptop.

I'm not one of the reviewers but by my experience it could be people who are running older machines and the system requirements have lulled them into a false sense of compatibility.
Last edited by lackblogger; August 30th, 2019 at 02:37.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#25

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,973
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 30th, 2019, 06:48
Can you test it on your 'game' machine (since this happens at the very beginning) to see if it crashes there or is hardware specific ?

Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
The system requirements for the game are:


I had game ending crashes from the outset at the start of Darkness Over Daggerford. I was ok standing in the first room, but as soon as I clicked the door to exit the room, the game crashed, no matter what I did in the options and no matter how many times I turned it on and off again and no matter how many times I made a new character.

I postponed playing it on my 'old games laptop' and it's now queueing in my 'to play' games on my up to date Windows 10 laptop.

I'm not one of the reviewers but by my experience it could be people who are running older machines and the system requirements have lulled them into a false sense of compatibility.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,386
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2019, 10:32
Sure thing. I'm exceptionally busy for the next couple of days, but I could get to it maybe Sunday night/Monday morning/afternoon.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#27

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,973
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2019, 13:47
Originally Posted by you View Post
I don't look at the score - i read the reviews and the ones I read were very specific about what didn't work. It sounds like there was a patch a couple of months ago that broke a lot of things and they haven't been fixed (at least when the rewviews were made).
Interesting … as noted, I have just restarted the MacOS version these last couple of weeks and have yet to hit a problem. Not sure if there was an intermediate patch. One thing for sure - pretty much ZERO of the ‘ZOMG evreythnbg r broken’ crew will go back and update their reviews when things are fixed. Quick top complain, never admit they were wrong, never acknowledge fixed problems. Well, at least that is the bulk of my experience with these sorts of things.
--
-- Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch
Moderator

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 14,144
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2019, 16:14
Yes and that is why it is important to look at the dates of the reviews and if reviews are consistent across different reviewers (with regards to game issues). To be honest this didn't sound like a hardware issue it sounded like something in the script engine broke and certain triggers (probably a set of conditions or type of condition) was broken.
-
As always with a game receiving frequent updates this is a moving target - and I agree that frequently reviews will not be updated when a problem is fixed.
-
My normal method of looking at a product is to start with the score - and then dwell deeper into the nature of the negative reviews - I tend to ignore things that are not relevant to myself and focus on those things that would irritate the heck out of myself (such as bad controls; game breaking bugs; ….). Anyway if your having a blast with the game well that's a good thing


Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Interesting … as noted, I have just restarted the MacOS version these last couple of weeks and have yet to hit a problem. Not sure if there was an intermediate patch. One thing for sure - pretty much ZERO of the ‘ZOMG evreythnbg r broken’ crew will go back and update their reviews when things are fixed. Quick top complain, never admit they were wrong, never acknowledge fixed problems. Well, at least that is the bulk of my experience with these sorts of things.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,386
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

Default 

September 1st, 2019, 20:57
Originally Posted by you View Post
Can you test it on your 'game' machine (since this happens at the very beginning) to see if it crashes there or is hardware specific ?
When I first tried, I got to the main menu and it froze, clicking any button did nothing. I booted it up again and aside from some stuttering in the opening cinematic it worked fine, I was able to exit the room's door and engage in the opening encounter.

Edit: Also noticed that pathfinding was annoying during walking about after that encounter, I would regularly get the clunk clunk sound effect when clicking on the map in perfectly open spaces and not move. A small annoyance, but I suppose notable.
Last edited by lackblogger; September 1st, 2019 at 21:12.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#30

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,973
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 2nd, 2019, 01:35
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I have played NWN:EE over the last year on my gaming PC laptop, Samsung Android tablet, and most recently been replaying some of it on my MacBook Pro.

Have not had a single crash, a single ‘game ending bug’, a single unexpected behavior.

I will just file those reviews with the bulk of YouTube comments … basement dwelling trolls who have decided to have an agenda against a developer or other company based on X, and copy-pasta false arguments to pretend that there are actual issues in an attempt to financially punish the developer for the perceived grievances.

We watched a movie recently, and when I went to leave a review I noticed that the reviews were bimodal - 5s and 1s (it really didn’t deserve either). The 5s reflected that it was a sweet and fun little rom-com that delivered exactly the feel-good experience you could easily predict. The 1s on the other hand … almost universally had an all-caps mention in the first sentence about ‘pornography’ and how a warning should have been attached, with most talking about ‘homosexual agenda. Reality? There was a secondary character (sister to main character, appears in <5% of film) … and in the first several minutes this character has a <0.5second closed-mouth kiss with another woman. That is all. Based on reality, it is easy to discount the entirety of those reviews as having a political agenda and not being honest or worth reading or considering (unless you are such a homophobe that the thought of a quick peck sends you into a tizzy). So - I see these NWN reviews as likely the same.

Anyone that doesn't like to see two women kissing has some major hang ups. I would call them communists. I could watch a full movie of just women kissing
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#31

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Neverwinter Nights: EE - New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:17.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch