Sacred 3 - One More Review Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here are a few more reviews I found this week for Sacred 3. I warned you guys before about the game, and I was right. So here we go with the next roundup.

Mouse N Joypad - 75/100

Taking cues from other genres, Sacred 3 spins its gameplay yarn so as to satisfy a very specific niche. Seemingly a combination of Diablo and Devil May Cry series, the game is a hybrid that wants to attract fans of both game archetypes. The final product is much better than I had anticipated, but is still missing some key features that would greatly extend its longetivity.
Hooked Gamers - 7/10

Sacred 3 doesn’t do a whole lot wrong other than having lackluster writing. However, as has always been the case with the series, the action is very standard. There’s not a great deal of depth, but if you want to spend a few hours hacking and slashing your way through hordes of enemies, you could do a lot worse.
Strategy Informer - 8/10

While we're certainly not starving for Action RPGs these days Sacred 3 does manage to stand out. A poorly-told story with odious voice-acting, crushing linearity, a total lack of customization right down to clothing and levelling upgrades, and an absolute distain for single-player gamers are its biggest faults. None of these manage to stop it from being a really fun and well designed ARPG, which is addictive with one player and utterly glorious in co-op. The linearity and other lack of reasons to do so stop replayability dead however, so beyond maybe an odd further playthrough of certain maps in co-op you'll be done in about 10-15 hours. If ARPGs, particularly co-op ones, are your thing then Sacred 3 should definitely be on your to-buy list, but don't expect it to take over your life the way other games in this genre have a tendency to do.
PCGamesN - No Score

I was going to preface this review of Sacred 3 with a gag about nothing being sacred anymore, but I can’t. The game itself has maxed out the global quota for shit jokes, and I’m not laughing. It’s a crude cooperative fantasy brawler that’s completely without charm. Instead, it’s laden with mindless combat and a banal premise involving an evil empire and a plucky resistance.

And it’s important to note that it’s Sacred in setting only. The core elements of the series, the open world ripe for exploration, the day and night cycles and changing weather, the quests - all gone. Now it’s a linear hack and slash game that has more in common with the less popular spin-off, Sacred Citadel.
More information.

After a few hours of playing I honestly have no idea how anyone could say 8/10. Nice graphics, bare bones story, extremely poor writing, extremely poor writing (I've seen better ESL translated writing), character development is virtually static, and extremely poor writing (did I say that already?).
Only decent implementation is co-op.

I'm looking forward to this when it hits the sub $10 price point.

After a few hours of playing I honestly have no idea how anyone could say 8/10. Nice graphics, bare bones story, extremely poor writing, extremely poor writing (I've seen better ESL translated writing), character development is virtually static, and extremely poor writing (did I say that already?).
Only decent implementation is co-op.

What about the writing?

pibbur who admits this is a very obvious and predictable follow-up, but who can't resist the opportunity.

What about the writing?

pibbur who admits this is a very obvious and predictable follow-up, but who can't resist the opportunity.

Aurgh. Sorry. I can't believe I missed this. The writing is extremely poor. It would have been better if they just gave a one liner cutscene at the beginning. "Go forth and kill stuff for reasons!". Would have saved them some money and time they could have put into loot development.

Still doesn't sound worse than the other Sacred games - and perhaps even a little better :)

But no loot man! How you can have no loot in a hack and slash game? It's like not being able to group in an MMO! :biggrin:

But no loot man! How you can have no loot in a hack and slash game? It's like not being able to group in an MMO! :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, it sounds awful - but it could be a better kind of awful. Sacred and Sacred 2 were broken, hollow and dull.

Well, they were to me.

Also, unlike Zahra "sexism" tustra - I like to, at least, take a look at things for myself before writing them off as crap.

I will take a look. When it goes FtP.

Sacred and Sacred 2 were broken, hollow and dull.

Well, they were to me.

Yikes o_o.

Sacred 2 was amazingly fun for me. So much character customization and loot, it really kept me and my dad hooked for tons of hours.

I would recommend that game to anyone who enjoys endless character customization and loot-fest RPGs.

Yikes o_o.

Sacred 2 was amazingly fun for me. So much character customization and loot, it really kept me and my dad hooked for tons of hours.

I would recommend that game to anyone who enjoys endless character customization and loot-fest RPGs.

I will spare you my opinion of those features and leave your memory of the game untainted :)

Also, unlike Zahra "sexdism" tustra - I like to, at least, take a look at things for myself before writing them off as crap.

Whoa! Hauling up conceptions from previous threads! Did you recently have a surge of estrogen :p

Whoa! Hauling up conceptions from previous threads! Did you recently have a surge of estrogen :p

Did you happen to notice his little remark about grouping in MMOs? If you want to follow these little personal jabs - you should pay attention :)

I will spare you my opinion of those features and leave your memory of the game untainted :)

You really are going to knock Sacred 2's loot and character customization systems? Those systems were amazing and the strongest aspects of the game! The hundreds of quests were also good.

But hey, to each their own.

Just curious, how long did you play Sacred 2 for? My dad and I played for an estimated 300 hours or so, and it was an excellent co-op experience...

You really are going to knock Sacred 2's loot and character customization systems? Those systems were amazing and the strongest aspects of the game! The hundreds of quests were also good.

You don't really want me to get into it, do you?

Just curious, how long did you play Sacred 2 for? My dad and I played for an estimated 300 hours or so, and it was an excellent co-op experience…

We played it for the better part of two days during a LAN session in the summerhouse - and I played it a bit by myself as well.

I couldn't imagine playing it for 300 hours unless it was the very first cooperative ARPG experience you had :)

Cooperative gameplay can turn even the worst turd into a fun shared experience. Incidentally, that's how I played the first Sacred - with my ex-GF. It was pretty awful overall - but it was enough for us, and I think we played it a few hundred hours as well. That's basically where I discovered the deeper flaws of the Sacred systems - most importantly the combo system which was a great system in theory - but utterly broken due to incompetence from the developers.

S2 was incredibly hollow, the loot was super generic, the quests excessively samey and "generated" in feeling, the combo system just as broken and useless in terms of combinations and time-to-execute as the first game, the level scaling was abysmal, the "voices" of the enemy mobs as grating as anything I've ever heard in a game, the performance uneven at best, crashy, buggy and so on.

But it was reasonably pretty :)

S2 was incredibly hollow, the loot was super generic, the quests excessively samey and "generated" in feeling, the combo system just as broken and useless in terms of combinations and time-to-execute as the first game, the level scaling was abysmal, the "voices" of the enemy mobs as grating as anything I've ever heard in a game, the performance uneven at best, crashy, buggy and so on.

Spot on. I would also add that the animations were about as visceral as Combat, for the Atari 2600. Compare to the feel of hitting/firing/casting on D3 (regardless of D3's other faults) to see what I mean. That and the repetitive corny, fourth wall breaking humor, and I felt no immersion.

I would also add that the animations were about as visceral as Combat, for the Atari 2600. Compare to the feel of hitting/firing/casting on D3 (regardless of D3's other faults) to see what I mean.

Animations are the least important thing in gaming to me. I could care less about them. Add graphics to that list of things that I don't care about. I'm more interested in the actual game systems and mechanics.

Anyway, Sacred 2 was a great game for what it was - a fun loot-fest RPG. You don't see many of these types of games done well and Sacred 2 was one of them that was done right. But again, I get immersed in the game mechanics and the nerdy stuff, not the animations and graphics, so your mileage may vary, obviously. Sacred 2 had plenty of complex game mechanics for me to nerd out on, so I was happy!

To each their own and all that stuff... :)

Back
Top Bottom