Quantcast
What are you reading ? - Page 112 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

November 15th, 2017, 16:53
Yesterday I ploughed through Twin Peaks: the final dossier. This is a very different volume from the previous book, this one deals more with characters that were prolific in the first two years, but maybe not so much during the recent event series. There are a lot of answers in here, but then again, after what happened during the series, just about everything is in doubt. I found it rather short also, compared to the first volume. If you are a fan, this just might tide you over until the next iteration.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 17th, 2017, 14:50
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
I haven't read a genuinely epic fantasy series in ages, so I've just started Gardens of the Moon, the first book in that Malalalalazaladingdong series by Steven Erikson. I found almost the entire series in a library book sale for 20c each. I also got the first four Malawalalawotsit books from Ian Esslemont from the same sale!

I've heard that Gardens is pretty difficult as far as series first volumes go, but while I am finding it complex, it's so far very compelling reading.
I'd like to hear your impressions when you're done the first book. It's on my wishlist, but still deciding whether or not to get it.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 28th, 2017, 16:31
Hard to believe that it has been ten years since Name of the Wind was released. I bought the tenth anniversary edition last month, and have been reading it for the past three days. If we ever get the third book, this could be the best series of all time.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

November 29th, 2017, 00:30
One NOT to recommend, “Corsair” by James L. Cambias, to quote my goodreads review:

“Seriously seriously disappointing. Cardboard, cliched characters, obvious “tricks”, plot holes, hackneyed geek wish fulfilment fantasies, unbelievable police processes, naive good & evil, simplistic motivations, etc. etc. etc. That’s twice I’ve read work by Cambias and I should have paid attention to my notes from the first time, and this was worse.”

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer

November 29th, 2017, 00:31
By contrast I just read the last book in the Indranan War series by K. B. Wagers. The three books are all good and overall make a great series! Enjoy!

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer

November 29th, 2017, 00:35
Originally Posted by eva89 View Post
Just started to read Shantaram by Gregoru David Roberts. Amazing book about India
This is one of the best books I ever read. Enjoy

Warlod

Watcher
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 29th, 2017, 00:45
11/23/63. 1200 pages. So far kind of bleh but i'm free till early Jan when Iron Gold is released. Fantastic series by Pierce Brown.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2017, 12:05
Just finished “Hunger Makes the Wolf” by Alex Wells

Wow!!! Amazing world building, kicka**e heroine (sort of), excellent science fiction, even some grounded magic realism fantasy, great ideas, companies vs workers (sort of)…..
Wow!!! In case it wasn’t clear, WOW!!!!

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer

December 8th, 2017, 13:22
The Shining Girls, by Lauren Beukes I wasn't sure about this one at first since it's a mix of a lot of genres, but I'm enjoying it so far. A time traveling serial killer is a really interesting hook.

Kickit

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 8th, 2017, 15:13
Just finished Barbary Station by R. E. Stearns. Very solid sf with lots of AI.

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer

December 8th, 2017, 17:36
I finished Ranger Games by Ben Blum last night, and just wow. I remember hearing about the incident when it occurred, but all the stuff happening behind the scenes I had no idea about. A great story on how a two minute crime touched so many lives.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 10th, 2017, 16:30
Almost done with "Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich" by Norman Ohler. Very interesting read but go in this with a great deal of skepticism. The author is not a historian, and I think it shows as he speculates wildly, resulting in correlation/causation traps, as he seemingly wants to attribute drug use as the primary fuel for both the rise and fall of the Third Reich.

jdthoosier

Watcher

December 10th, 2017, 16:57
That must have been some pretty bad acid.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 10th, 2017, 20:04
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
That must have been some pretty bad acid.
Some really horrendous stuff. Towards the end of the war, the Navy came up with these 'mini-uboats' staffed by 2 or 3 Hitler Youth. These 15/16 year old kids were given a ton of cocaine-spiked chewing gum or various pills such as Pervitin or even some sort of drastic cocktail of cocaine, meth, and Eukodal (a really potent opiate); and then just shipped out with minimal training. They were expected to somehow make it close to Allied shipping targets, let loose a torpedo, and then rush back to port. Needless to say, it was a disaster.

jdthoosier

Watcher

December 10th, 2017, 21:22
Interesting. I might take a look. Shame the writer gets a bit sloppy, as you say.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 17th, 2017, 23:44
Reread Red Rising over the past three days, and have the second book requested. Now back to the Wise Man's Fears, although I've read the first book five times, this is only my second trip through book two. What an excellent pair of books, hopefully it will become a trilogy before I perish.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 25th, 2017, 18:42
Finished the Wise Man's Fears, and now I'm back to waiting for book three in that series. Now reading the Golden Son, the sequel to Red Rising.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

December 26th, 2017, 12:23
Just finished the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. For some reason I expected it to be hard work, but the stories actually crack along at a great pace and are very easy reading. I enjoyed it more than I expected.

Before that I was reading Oblivion by Arnaldur Indridason, an Icelandic author of detective stories. A good read with interesting characters, but I didn't think the overall plot was as engaging as some of his other novels.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

December 31st, 2017, 18:50
Golden Son was a good follow-up to Red Rising, I'd never read the sequel before and now I've requested the next book in that series. In the meantime, a friend had suggested a novel called Renegades, which is based in a future time period where people with superhuman abilities are not exactly rare, and are basically running a large city. Quite interesting so far, I'm about half way through and really hoping there is a sequel to this one in the future.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2018, 19:01
I Just finished Mister Memory. This is a brilliant book!

Chan

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?