Quantcast
Philistine physics - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Philistine physics

Default Philistine physics

November 8th, 2017, 02:21
Hum. stars not actually fixed. They just move a lot slower than planets…. But given infinite time they move quite a lot.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 8th, 2017, 02:48
So how does that work? What does this formula describe in your theory and what is this speed which is calculated by it?
I am proposing that within our universe c represents the relationship between space (which you can measure in m) and time (measured in s). This law of nature can be seen in the relationship between how radiation occupies space (wavelength) and time (frequency). 'Speed' is an redundant concept.
The sun's position in and of itself can not really be off by 8.x minutes
I am not claiming that the sun's position in 3d is changing. I am saying that the sun's gravity and distance from the earth is such that there is difference in relative time of 8.5 minutes. In the same way other stars may be 100 years off. Temporal displacement = Spatial displacement / c (or something like that).
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 8th, 2017, 03:35
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
That's not strictly true. The Earth and Sun both orbit their shared barycenter. That's how distant planets have been discovered - by measuring a star's slight movement caused these small stellar orbits.
Yes, I know, and the milky way is also in motion and who knows… maybe even our whole universe revolves around another one as well .

However, we're all inside this same plain of motion so the sun is as "fixed", relative to earth, as it gets. And 'c' is constant as well.

So my back-to-basics point was that we need to look at what is happening on earth relative to the sun and to its light that is traveling at 'c'.

And when it comes to perception of us humans, you would even have to factor in the speed of our neural systems (less than 'c'). What we see is always off by a tiny little bit since our eyes and brains require a certain "processing" time to assemble the picture we see as the current (subjective) reality.

Moriendor

Spielkind

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 8th, 2017, 10:35
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
I am proposing that within our universe c represents the relationship between space (which you can measure in m) and time (measured in s). This law of nature can be seen in the relationship between how radiation occupies space (wavelength) and time (frequency). 'Speed' is an redundant concept.
Is your theory applicable only to electromagnetic radiation and is speed as a concept in that context redundant or is speed redundant for all kinds of objects as well?

Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
And when it comes to perception of us humans, you would even have to factor in the speed of our neural systems (less than 'c'). What we see is always off by a tiny little bit since our eyes and brains require a certain "processing" time to assemble the picture we see as the current (subjective) reality.
A theory like this would need to be applicable to any and all wavelengths and not only to those that we can perceive (visible, audible or by feeling), which are only a very tiny subset of the infinite possibilities of wave lengths. Any interpretation based on the perception of a human being in this, should be factored out.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

November 8th, 2017, 12:50
However, we're all inside this same plain of motion so the sun is as "fixed", relative to earth, as it gets. And 'c' is constant as well.
C isn't constant.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 8th, 2017, 13:07
However, we're all inside this same plain of motion so the sun is as "fixed", relative to earth, as it gets.
No, even inside the plane of the solar system, the sun is not fixed relative to the Earth - it moves around. All the bodies in the system orbit the shared centre of mass (which also moves), causing the sun to wobble about relative to the Earth.

EDIT: The reason I mention it here, is that if we were trying to determine the contsancy of c by measuring very accurately the arrival of photons from the sun, we would get distortions from the variations in distance.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Last edited by Ripper; November 8th, 2017 at 21:24.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 8th, 2017, 15:47
Is your theory applicable only to electromagnetic radiation and is speed as a concept in that context redundant or is speed redundant for all kinds of objects as well?
I would think it applies to everything, however within our close scale (where Newtonian mechanics work well) the notion of speed is a convenient way of representing it.
--
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 26th, 2017, 03:29
My 10-year old son came to me last night with an idea that thought was so cool I have to share it.
What if beyond the edge of the universe there is an infinate non-dimensional space (n-space). This n-space has a gravitational pull so vast it reaches to the center of our universe. This n-space gravity was responsible for tearing the universe open in the big bang (NOT an explosion… fission!) and accounts for the outward acceleration of it ever since.
--
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

November 26th, 2017, 14:51
Pull or push ?
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 27th, 2017, 02:05
Exactly. The Big Bang is usually thought as a huge explosion that propelled the universe apart, my son's idea is that it is being pulled apart by the n-space that surrounds it.
--
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 27th, 2017, 04:56
I thought that time (subjectively) stops for any object moving at the speed of light? E.g. a person moving at C would not notice time passing and would be 'frozen' in time.

Dilvish

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 27th, 2017, 05:20
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
My 10-year old son came to me last night with an idea that thought was so cool I have to share it.
What if beyond the edge of the universe there is an infinate non-dimensional space (n-space). This n-space has a gravitational pull so vast it reaches to the center of our universe. This n-space gravity was responsible for tearing the universe open in the big bang (NOT an explosion… fission!) and accounts for the outward acceleration of it ever since.
Dang. That's pretty cool.

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2017, 13:35
Okay, now I understand it. I failed to see that "surrounds it" part.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Philistine physics