Never owned a handheld... PSP or DS for Crpgs...?

Dyspaire

Watchdog
Hi all,

So, even though I've never owned a handheld in my life (PC user for 25+ years), I've recently been getting the impression that for true, old-school, turn-based rpg goodness, the PSP and the DS have a lot to offer.

D&D Tactics REALLY appeals to me... and because of that one game, I'm currently leaning toward a PSP... specifically the new model with the TV-out feature that debuts in September.

But I know the DS has quite an extensive library of great turn-based rpgs....

Anyone have any advice they'd be willing to share?

I know the PSP hardware is quite a bit more powerful, and that is somewhat of a factor... I don't own a portable media device of any kind, and the PSP's capabilities in that area are appealing too.

But I know the DS has quite an extensive library of great turn-based rpgs...

Help!

Thanks in advance

Dyspaire

Dyspaire, I started a similar thread here which you may want to check out for responses.

Like you, I've never ventured into handheld territory (not since my Space Invaders portable back in the, oh, late 70's or early 80's) and have been looking at both the PSP and DS for purchase.
Currently I'm leaning heavily towards the DS. There are a lot of crap games for it, but there seem to be some absolute gems, and I think the DS format of dual screen with pad controls plus a stylus, has massive potential for games down the road. And like Zakhary points out, you can play the GBA games on the DS, and that in itself is a massive library of all sorts of games.
The PSP seems more geared towards better graphics action games, but the DS has greater diversity. My investigations also indicate that the DS screens are much easier to see in regular light than the PSP, which is pretty important, as one big reason for wanting a handheld is to play while I'm on the bus to and from work, or just sitting in my backyard.

At any rate, I'm all for a discussion on the subject, as laying out the money for a portable is a pretty serious one for me, as I'd be buying two devices, one for me and one for my very significant purse-strings-controlling other ;)

Dyspaire - I hope you have been reading my 'Whole Game in My Hand' series of articles? I linked to #1 which will work you through all of them, plus links back to the articles I did on the GBA, DS and PSP at RPGDot.

One thing in general - I suggest to anyone looking at a handheld that they need to get over their 'fear of the chibi' ... there are so many really good games with over-sized jRPG looking characters, and I know it took me a long time to deal with - but in the end it is worth it.

I'll chime back in later with more thoughts.

"I hope you have been reading my 'Whole Game in My Hand' series of articles?"

It's your wonderful articles that got me interested in a handheld in the first place!

Gallifrey, I will definitely check out your thread...

Thanks for the input so far... you too, Zakhary!

Cheers

One thing in general - I suggest to anyone looking at a handheld that they need to get over their 'fear of the chibi' ... there are so many really good games with over-sized jRPG looking characters, and I know it took me a long time to deal with - but in the end it is worth it.

Nuh-uh, no way, ain't gonna happen here. I hate that stuff with a white hot loathing. It's so utterly, absurdly, stupidly ridiculous that it immediately ruins any sense of connection between me and the game.

Nuh-uh, no way, ain't gonna happen here. I hate that stuff with a white hot loathing. It's so utterly, absurdly, stupidly ridiculous that it immediately ruins any sense of connection between me and the game.

Awww, you're so mean~!

puppygirlko3.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But listen to Mike, he's right. ;)

Back
Top Bottom