Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If needed I can talk about everything wrong with kingdom system in this game and of course with suggestions how could it have been so much better than with existing timers nightmare.

In a separate thread. Here it's tips and tricks and the only tip I can give is - use mods to "fix" Kingdom timers or disable Kingdom management part in any way possible.

I suggest you do that in Owlcat Games forums to provide devs with feedback ;)

I found few useful tips in this thread. As for my opinion on mods, this game does not need them. Developers already provided many QoL improvements. And the game itself is so complex any mod has potential to make more damage, rather then improve things, at the end.

The game is basically designed around timed quests and management. I find it little funny to keep complaining about this fact. As if one would complain F1 simulation is designed around racing and timers, because he prefers slower pace, to be able to appreciate view.

The game is not designed around timed quests but around Pathfinder ruleset. This ruleset does not need timers.

Timers in this game are design crime bigger than day/night cycle timed rubbish in other games (here, instead of questslocked on night or day, you have to wait for 24th in any month for a quest or wait for any monday for another). These timers are most definetly a remnant from another Owlcat's project that was a phonegame with pay2win microtransactions that'd instacomplete these timers. For whatever reason someone in that company decided not to go phonegames but PC game instead, but the p(l)ay2wait horror remained.

Tips/tricks to repeat:
- Get any timers shortening mod for the kingdom management. For timed quests I believe there is no mod because most of those are hidden. Don't believe me but try it. I promise you, the game becomes 10 times more fun this way.
- As there is no quest timers mod, do companions quests asap, main quests too. Kingdom quests, side quests and errands are not timed so you can do those at any time before the final chapter. Yes, this means no exploring the map before the journal above Kingdom quests part is clean.
I suggest you do that in Owlcat Games forums to provide devs with feedback ;)
That's out of question. It's possible some of my suggestions aren't good and before discussing each one here, I have no intention to bring them elsewhere. In other words, before I make some direct feedback, I need some RPG audience filter, I'm not egoistic enough to think all ideas of mine are perfect. :)
To go there and post only that timers prevented this game from being 10/10 is silly, there are already hundreds of such posts that don't suggest a different design style.

Last edited:
Agree with Joxer on this one. I hate timers in games like this. Let the player control the pacing/progression and sequence of events. Reminds me of the Baldurs Gate death curse. Hated that too. I like to relax playing these type of games. Drink coffee between combat rounds and plan. Read dialog, lore and explore. Timers can kill that immersive enjoyment.

The game is designed by developer with quest timers and with management. I can understand someone might not like it, but that is not problem of the game but problem of the individual in question.

By the way, I do not comprehend how this game does not allow relaxed drinking of cofee or any other beverage between combat and planning.

I didn’t say Pathfinder was a bad game I just dislike timers and I wasn’t referring to combat. “Problem with the individual in question” really? Nice response

He probably ment me as I said and stay by it that without timers abomination the game would probably be a rare 10/10 product. Of course I can't be 100% sure as it's impossible to mod timers completely out and play it that way, on the other hand even if it was possible certain things would need rebalancing (BP and related moneysinks).
But well, I guess Owlcat aimed the game to be above average and not masterpiece.

I didn’t say Pathfinder was a bad game I just dislike timers and I wasn’t referring to combat.

You were not? Hmm..

Drink coffee between combat rounds and plan.

Also, pressing space bar pauses the game in the local map, not just during the combat. In the world map, the time doesn't pass until you start travel again or rest.

But well, I guess Owlcat aimed the game to be above average and not masterpiece.

No, they had a vision and followed through it :)

Problem OF the individual in question. Meaning that different individuals might have different tastes and that it doesnt automatically mean its problem of the game.

I dont like procedurally generated content in games. But that does not mean design based on procedural generation has to be bad or flawed. Many other people might enjoy it. Its just not for me.

You can interpret as you see fit Purple. The critique is about one aspect of the game. Nobody kicked your puppy so relax.

Purple is a pretty stout defender of P:KM. They might even make a DLC in honor of her. Queenmaker? ;)

Jokes aside, it seems like a really solid game and one I look forward to playing. I'm happy to wait until it's fully patched first though. I also want to finish PoE 1&2 first.

Yeah I may have to restart POE with all this Dark Souls distraction. I’m also waiting for Pathfinder patching

Jokes aside, it seems like a really solid game and one I look forward to playing. I'm happy to wait until it's fully patched first though. I also want to finish PoE 1&2 first.
It's fully patched - a couple of hotfixes were implemented recently for superrare bug occurencies (basically bugs that happen only if it's snowing in the middle of summer, that rare). And you don't need any DLC to enjoy the game (one left, with randomly generated dungeons).

Not sure what were you waiting for with Eternity games, but P:K is better than both of them. Plan to spend cca 100-150 hours with each of three, it ain't no 10hours Doom. :)

(spoilers)

I've read a few tips but trying not to spoil anything. But man, I'm getting my ass kicked in most battles. It's: battle, rest, battle, go back to the keep to remove death's door and spend all my hard-earned cash on more potions/scrolls. LOL

I think my problem is that I'm still trying to play like I played Pillars of Eternity II, where I had 3 tanks that would 'block' the enemies from getting to my healer and mage. There isn't a lot of time to not be healing from behind the front lines to use other spells, and that's probably a bad sign. I'm too far in for a restart, but I'll have to reconfigure if it gets any tougher. I like tough, tho. It's just a pain when you enter an area and have no idea whether your party can handle it …and then you have to run back to town because you have a slot machine of symbols next to your portraits after the first battle there.

I'm at level 5, have built quite a few structures in "Tuskville", but have not found enough party members to flesh things out, so I've been running with 2 self-created mercs. I won't have evil companions in my party, so that leaves out the two you rescue from the circus, and I really don't like the little bard. Hoping to find more actual story characters I like soon so I can ditch the mercs. I also haven't found a treasurer, but I cheated finally and looked at where to find that character last night.

Sounds like I'm complaining, and I guess I am a bit. Overall it's a very cool game, but probably the most punishing RPG I've played in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom