What games are you playing now?

I thought, fuck it, you never know, and went back to my save after the relatively small Burgundians respawned and tried to see if I could get lucky and do some conquering before the game spawned a 5 stack right next to one of my territories and, woo-hoo, even though the French respawned, then the Germans, then the Pope and then the Golden Hoard, none of them spawned in disadvantageous locations and I was able to quickly get a victory screen:

ylVslnx.png

Much more satisfying.

Damn, but this game is addictive, in a good way. I'm still hungry for more, but I might put it down and continue my Darkness Over Daggerford game that @you; made me start a week or two back, I've kinda got into it now, lol. Wait though, just one more turn of MTW, :D

I thought, fuck it, you never know, and went back to my save after the relatively small Burgundians respawned and tried to see if I could get lucky and do some conquering before the game spawned a 5 stack right next to one of my territories and, woo-hoo, even though the French respawned, then the Germans, then the Pope and then the Golden Hoard, none of them spawned in disadvantageous locations and I was able to quickly get a victory screen:

ylVslnx.png

Much more satisfying.

Damn, but this game is addictive, in a good way. I'm still hungry for more, but I might put it down and continue my Darkness Over Daggerford game that @you; made me start a week or two back, I've kinda got into it now, lol. Wait though, just one more turn of MTW, :D

Do you play the game with autobattles or play them yourselves?

I just bought Stygian, mostly because I like TB games and this one looks very odd with multiple paths. I'll see how it goes, but it's splitting my time between Underrail and that now

I played for about 2-3 hours yesterday and it plays a bit like a mixture of old-school adventure point & click with RPG spice added to it within a warped and dark world. I think it is really well designed and well done. The game map seems relatively small, but I am certain I would go over 15 hours as there is a lot to read.

I am playing as an academic with speechcraft and occult skills thrown in to be able to open up some more questlines. I think it's working quite well for now. My main concern is that I am very weak in combat for now, but I found a bodyguard and a companion so that helped a lot during my first outing.

First impressions are that this is a fun game (probably) for the following people:
- who enjoy dark stories (not you @Alrik)
- who enjoy investigative RPGs with lots of text
- who enjoy stat based narrative outcomes (e.g. if you have a point in speechcraft you will see options in dialogue which won't be there if that point was in firearms)

Do you play the game with autobattles or play them yourselves?

I play all the battles and never choose auto-resolve except in specific circumstances:

If there's a multiple stacks of enemies in one territory and I just want to thin it out a bit then I'll bribe one stack with no interest in whether I win or lose the battle. In fact, in that situation I usually want to lose the battle as I may not have enough troops left to quell the unrest anyway. So that would be an atuo-reslove situation.

Also, towards the end of the game, like in the one above, I'll start auto-resolving when I'm dumping random stacks onto territories to quickly cross the line after all the hundred/s of turns of patient build-up and gameplay. Like pretty much all strategy games, it turns more into grinding in the mopping up stage rather than strategy and playing out 14 foregone conclusion battles in the last few turns as you casually dump your big stacks on all the weakly defended areas is not what the game's pacing was designed for.

I play all the battles and never choose auto-resolve except in specific circumstances:

If there's a multiple stacks of enemies in one territory and I just want to thin it out a bit then I'll bribe one stack with no interest in whether I win or lose the battle. In fact, in that situation I usually want to lose the battle as I may not have enough troops left to quell the unrest anyway. So that would be an atuo-reslove situation.

Also, towards the end of the game, like in the one above, I'll start auto-resolving when I'm dumping random stacks onto territories to quickly cross the line after all the hundred/s of turns of patient build-up and gameplay. Like pretty much all strategy games, it turns more into grinding in the mopping up stage rather than strategy and playing out 14 foregone conclusion battles in the last few turns as you casually dump your big stacks on all the weakly defended areas is not what the game's pacing was designed for.

Interesting. I tend to play the harder battles and when the game says they will be easy wins I tend to almost always auto-resolve.

Although I haven't played Medieval 1 for years, so not sure how I sued to do it back then.

Interesting. I tend to play the harder battles and when the game says they will be easy wins I tend to almost always auto-resolve.

Although I haven't played Medieval 1 for years, so not sure how I sued to do it back then.

Even the easy battles are usually worth playing out, not just for the entertainment value but also for strategic reasons. For example, if the enemy doesn't have any horse units then you stand a good chance of preventing the AI retreating to their castle and prolonging the losses. If you auto-resolve you also can't control who dies, such as important unit leaders, princes etc. Also, you usually lose less units if you manually fight, which can be the difference between a 90% content and 100% content resulting territory, which is a huge deal in MTW1.

I am like totally lost as to what game this is in reference towards - i could have sworn you said this was total war but even that is vague in itself as there are more than a handful of total war games....

Even the easy battles are usually worth playing out, not just for the entertainment value but also for strategic reasons. For example, if the enemy doesn't have any horse units then you stand a good chance of preventing the AI retreating to their castle and prolonging the losses. If you auto-resolve you also can't control who dies, such as important unit leaders, princes etc. Also, you usually lose less units if you manually fight, which can be the difference between a 90% content and 100% content resulting territory, which is a huge deal in MTW1.

I am like totally lost as to what game this is in reference towards - i could have sworn you said this was total war but even that is vague in itself as there are more than a handful of total war games….

I did all that on the previous page of this thread. It's one of those no-win situations with this kind of thing, one can either keep repeating information ad-nauseum and make paragraphs even more boring that they already are on the off chance someone hasn't been following the thread or one can simply use the traditional method of mentioning the title in the first mention and then use acronyms. The very last word on the post before yours references MTW1, how many total war games have that acronym? While you might not be familiar with the series, I can't see how you'd be "totally lost" :D

No clue; so which one is it ? Well since you want answer I had to ask mrs google.

I did all that on the previous page of this thread. It's one of those no-win situations with this kind of thing, one can either keep repeating information ad-nauseum and make paragraphs even more boring that they already are on the off chance someone hasn't been following the thread or one can simply use the traditional method of mentioning the title in the first mention and then use acronyms. The very last word on the post before yours references MTW1, how many total war games have that acronym? While you might not be familiar with the series, I can't see how you'd be "totally lost" :D

Pillars of Eternity: still not convinced if this game is the "bestest evar" RPG of recent times, but soloing a rogue seems to make this "meh" game to "slightly enjoyable" to me.

Not a bad idea. I have yet to complete this game, abandoning it at lvl 18 last go-around, but the notion of soloing it would lessen the clunkiness of the combat and satiate my inner munchkin. It's not like any of the companions stick out in my mind anyway (unless you count that utterly annoying cleric/monk).

I'm about 14 hours into Queen's Wish... kinda feeling a bit bad for Vogel (words I thought that I would never ever say). He's getting a bunch of shit, over what I'm considering to be a pretty good game so far. People change, they want to do something different once and awhile. Get a grip, have some respect.

On the other hand, it's like a beloved musical artist suddenly releases an album that's completely different from the rest. Their fans freak out. Meanwhile, newcomers are liking it, and thinking "I quite like this, what's all the negative BS about??"

I've been there, too. I think every Metallica fan has :wall:

I'm about 14 hours into Queen's Wish… kinda feeling a bit bad for Vogel (words I thought that I would never ever say). He's getting a bunch of shit, over what I'm considering to be a pretty good game so far. People change, they want to do something different once and awhile. Get a grip, have some respect.

On the other hand, it's like a beloved musical artist suddenly releases an album that's completely different from the rest. Their fans freak out. Meanwhile, newcomers are liking it, and thinking "I quite like this, what's all the negative BS about??"

I've been there, too. I think every Metallica fan has :wall:

The worrying thing for me is what the new systems say about the rest of the RPG genre.

Vogel's games have always been games that travel slightly behind the flow of popular tastes, he mimics the current trends within his specific Vogel twist. Aside from Nethergate, this has always been his design model:

Exile/Avernum series = good hearty open world dungeon crawlers with a party of adventurers. A quirky mix of Wizardry, Ultima, Might and Magic and the like. They're probably the closest game to Icewind Dale I've ever played.

Geneforge = tapping into the Fallout/Deus Ex craze for single characters exploring a fascinating sci-fi'ish world where factions replace 'community' NPCs.

Avadon = following the Bioware high period of Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect where you play a single character but recruit a team of quirky and interesting companions and do their quests as much as the main quest or sidequests.

So what does Queen's Wish say to me? Base Building? Yeah, there's a lot of that about and I've never been that keen on it even just as a background feature, let alone front and centre. The game itself is likely fine and well made, like all of his games, but this single factor makes me put it so far down on my play list I'm not even visualising getting round to it ever at this point in time.

I can respect that.

Fantasy CEO is not for everybody. I'm a big Majesty fan from wayback, so I've always liked running a fantasy kingdom. I think this system is pretty innovative - instead of lugging around a lot of loot, i'm building a medieval empire with my own smiths, woodworkers, alchemists, etc. to provide me with what I need instead. I just need to keep them supplied with materials, of course

The companions are lifeless tho, which is kind of a bummer :/

Just finished Kingmaker and was blown away again - I keep discovering something new, looking forward to another run in a few months time.

It's time to continue on further with Dark Souls 3. And Cat Quest II.

Aren't the cat quests games really short - like 3 or 4 hours? Also do you have problems with them getting distracted and bringing home dead or sometime not so dead mice and chipmonks ? I mean my sister cat used to bring her live chipmonks once or twice a week...

Just finished Kingmaker and was blown away again - I keep discovering something new, looking forward to another run in a few months time.

It's time to continue on further with Dark Souls 3. And Cat Quest II.

Aren't the cat quests games really short - like 3 or 4 hours? Also do you have problems with them getting distracted and bringing home dead or sometime not so dead mice and chipmonks ? I mean my sister cat used to bring her live chipmonks once or twice a week…

It is short, but I can't say no to purrfect adventures of a brave cat + dog pair :D

Back
Top Bottom