The Quest - Review @ Indie Retro News

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Indie Retro News has reviewed the recently released PC version of The Quest:

The Quest - From Mobile to PC Dungeon Crawler, but was it worth the wait?

A while back the Hungarian developer Redshift announced they were working on a revamped and improved PC version of their hit mobile crawler The Quest. I was already well aware of Redshift's ability to cook up killer crawlers after playing and completing Legacy with numerous expansion packs. I also logged quite a few hours playing the mobile version of The Quest, even though I don't particularly like playing games on phones. It's hard to explain why, and I'm not going to go into it here. It might be a topic for another day and another article :)

Anyways, weeks passed and I eagerly and impatiently followed the progress of the PC version, ready with money in hand, hoping that they would be able to finish it in time for Christmas, which they did!

[...]

While The Quest does not compare well to games like Legend of Grimrock or Dungeon Kingdom in the visual department, it offers a lot more in terms of gameplay elements, depth and replay value. For those of you that have a history of playing old school dungeon crawlers you will feel right at home here and you will discover that The Quest is a pure crawler gem! It is on my top 10 list of favorite dungeon crawlers, and let me tell you - that is a tough list to enter!
More information.

I'm playing this for 19 hours now and I agree with this review.

Really interested in this game. The fact that it plays like a turn-based Morrowind is ideal for me, since that was actually an idea I've had for a long time now. Glad to see a game that is similar. :nod:

Knew this was good... you could tell

The next Daggerfall perhaps.... ?

It certainly is a surprisingly deep RPG for a portable game.

However the interface is terrible on PC, the elements are so far apart that it makes it a chore to use the inventory. It's straight up from mobile and not pleasant to use.

Looks and sounds interesting - reminds me of a mid period Might and Magic judging by the interface and the graphical style. Nice to know about, thanks for posting! :)

I've played this for about two hours so far, after finishing Fall of the Dungeon Guardians. I haven't even touched the main quest yet just been poking around and exploring stuff so far, and I predict I'll be playing many more hours of this.

Carn my goodness man, you're a veritable dungeon crawling machine! :D
Could you describe in more detail how this plays for you and what you'd compare it most to when you get a chance? I'm keen to hear some more hands on reports.

Sure can! What this game most reminds me of are the earlier Might and Magic games, same type of grid movement both in and out of combat, save for the fact you only control one character instead of an entire party. Some of the inventory/character screens seem rather odd and difficult to manipulate at times, but that really doesn't detract from how fun the game is. I've still not played anymore, only about two hours in total so far, but if you enjoyed the older grid type games, I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy the Quest.

Back
Top Bottom