Dead State - Interview @ GameBanshee

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameBanshee has a great interview with Brian Mitsoda on Dead State, covering their inspiration, the mechanics, combat and more. There are too many good potential quotes, so here's an early one:
GB: An atmosphere of stress and survival can be set up in many ways. How important is it to you to add actual gameplay mechanics to immerse the players rather than just writing and visuals?

Brian: The stress and survival aspects were what we designed the game around - if we couldn't get that right, we wouldn't have committed to the project. We started conceiving the game around the hunt for resources such as food, and then thought about the shelter management, then worked on morale and NPC moods and the different ways it could affect AI, such as panic. We looked at what games did wrong with their food systems and adjusted it so that the food, the morale, fuel, are all similar to a kind of currency - I don't think it will take players a long time to grasp how it works. Once we were sure the mechanics wouldn't be frustrating or potentially game-breaking 90% of the time, we began fleshing out the secondary systems and started thinking about characters and game events. The story only reinforces the situation, and provides some characters that react to the player's success at keeping them alive. If we're successful, the player's stress will come from their story and combat decisions - we need food, we need to go scavenging, but if someone dies on the run, morale will drop and it's already low, that kind of thing.
More information.

Informative interview.

I think I'm looking forward to this game more than any other in recent memory.

for some reason i feel the same way
i'd glady pre-order the game straight from the devs if it helped secure them funding. i've funded an album from one of my favourite bands through kickstarter last year and really think some indie game devs should try it out.

for some reason i feel the same way
i'd glady pre-order the game straight from the devs if it helped secure them funding. i've funded an album from one of my favourite bands through kickstarter last year and really think some indie game devs should try it out.

I would, too. And I know why I'm looking forward to this one so much:

1. X-com-style turn-based combat.

2. It sounds like it might be a real RPG, too…or something close to it. Go figure these days. =P

3. One of the former Troika triumvirate at the helm of development. That's not a bad thing at all, in my estimation.

I get more excited every time I read about this game. The possibilities sound vast, the game play fun and interesting, and the re-playability almost endless. This could be really great.

I should never have read The Walking Dead books 1 and 2. Now I want this game more than ever. Still stoked I have a bunch of other books to go, plus the new AMC TV series coming out in Oct, but still it's not the same as playing this game.

Please please don't screw this up. It sounds like this could be a game I play year after year.

Thanks for the trailer link. Going to set the DVR to record that one. Dig zombie flicks. I just happen to be wearing a zombie T-shirt today. =P

Sammy, try out the comic as well. I'm not what you would call a huge comic nut (I always save my money for miniatures/games :)), but this comic is awesome. It gets rid of all those speed zombies, talking zombies, or any other kind of zombie and shows that the slow shambling kind can be just as dangerous if not more so.

It delves much deeper into the characters than any zombie movie could ever do with the exception of a few characters in the beginning. They weren't there long enough to get to know them or how they would interact with the rest of the survivors. Plus, it goes into detail about how surviving in this world would be like. Food and shelter being the major concern of these survivors. With the constant threat of zombies the world cannot rebuild like it would after any other kind of natural disaster.

It's a nice change of pace from say the Resident Evil movies which have taken a strange turn for the worse, imo. There was no need for super duper zombiefied runner zombies, yet they threw them in there anyways or whatever the hell that thing at the end was. Why keep trying to top yourself when you have all the basic ingredients for a great zombie flick right there. ZOMBIES!!!! They're enough. Just show us how people would interact with one another and survive with these slow, ever hungry monsters on your trail.

By far the best graphical novel I've read in a long long time. I'm totally looking forward to Halloween and getting Book 3 and 4. He's taken George A. Romeo's vision and gone into much more detail than any movie of his could ever portray, but that's not too hard since I think Romeo has gone in the wrong direction with a few of his movies. Land of the Dead especially. Intelligent zombies??? bleh!!! That movie was too damn preachy for my tastes. Yes yes I get it, Romeo, anyone who is wealthy is a corrupt ahole who doesn't care about the "little" people. Then throw in your Braveheart zombie who is kicking butt and taking names….Why???…..Thank god for AMC and The Walking Dead is all I got to say :)

Last edited:
I just might check out those graphic novels.

While we're off on zombie tangents, I'll give a plug to the kind folks running a cool little shop in the little town of Bisbee, Arizona, USA, where the girlfriend and I found ourselves last weekend. They had interesting items of all kinds, many of which they made themselves, but they had a definite penchant for anything zombie. They had even organized a "zombie prom" for some weekend probably coming up soon. =P

While not all of their cool stuff is online, their T-shirts, which are their own designs, are. Here's a link:

http://www.zedszombieranch.com/

And here's a link to the one I got while I was there and was wearing yesterday:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/55960373/nom-nom-nom-zombie-eating-brains-mens-t

My personal fave. =P

LMAO, I was just about to say that the NOM NOM NOM shirt was the best out of the bunch.

Cool links Huggy Thanks…. The metal work isn't bad either. Love the Free Range Zombies sign and would probably get it except that kinda thing would probably scare my neighbors. Sometimes Taiwanese really don't get that kind of humor or at least that's what my girlfriend says whenever I make a joke:D

It looks like Zombies are the new Vampires. Hope that's true. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more zombie games. People say they're overused, but not really. They're aren't as many as you would think(at least not for the PC). Sure there is Left for Dead, Resident Evil (but they went away from zombies now and into worm like creatures), Fort Zombie and a few indies like Zombie shooter, Zombie Driver (great game) and of course the best of the bunch Plants vs Zombies. However, you still have more movies and books with zombies in them than games. Get a dozen or so more PC games (like the millions of WW2 games) and then they're overused.

There is one that I never heard of before. It's called Dead Island (thank god no zombie in the title ;)) by Techland. Here is an interview with the dev for the game. Looks interesting. Not as interesting as Dead State, but still not bad.

This one looks like it will have more in common with the movies than actually surviving a zompocolypse. Get off the island and you're home free. Whereas Dead State has the zombies everywhere. They're part of life in the game and a night of running and gunning, save the girl, find out what happened and get the heck out of there can't fix it.

Thanks for the heads up on Dead Island. Hadn't heard of that one before.

And, yeah, I liked the "Free Range Zombies" signs, too. They had one in the window of the shop, and that's what made us walk into the place. =P

Skaven-Cool, I'll have to check out that graphic novel, I read a few zombie comics a while ago and they were a fun read.

Yep, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to zombies - I'm all about the shamblers. I really hate it when people try and make zombies into something more than they are. Theyre dead, stupid, theyre stiff as hell, theyre slow as molasses, they groan a lot. They'll devour you if they catch you. Theyre "all messed up" (to quote NOTLD). I'm not saying I dont like any of the newer 'track star' Zombie2.0 type stuff at all, I'm a horror fan in general so I cant just ignore all newer films entirely. My heart, however, will always remain w/ the shamblers.

It's a like when places start throwing BBQ sauce and chicken and stuff on pizzas, it's ridiculous. At some point you lose the glorious qualities of the original concept. I just want a greasy piece of pizza, dripping w/ cheez and loaded w/ pepperoni. If I'm feeling crazy I'll throw some onions and green peppers n stuff on there. But please, get that "Mexican Pizza" away from me before i call the INS on ya and clean out your entire kitchen staff.

Seriously, at that point youre not even making a pizza anymore, it's blasphemous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom