Diablo 3 - Announced for PS3 & PS4

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Blizzard will bring Diablo to the Playstation. Diablo 3 PS3 will be playable at PAX East. Here's the PR minus the company blurp:
THE LORD OF TERROR TO UNLEASH THE FIRES OF THE BURNING HELLS ON PLAYSTATION® GAMERS WORLDWIDE
Blizzard Entertainment announces Diablo® III for PS3™, confirms franchise coming to PS4™
World-first hands-on set for PAX East, March 22–24

IRVINE, Calif.—February 20, 2013—The fate of Sanctuary will soon rest in the hands of PlayStation gamers around the world. Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that it is developing Diablo® III, the latest entry in its award-winning action–role-playing-game series, for the Sony PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The company also today confirmed plans to adapt the game for Sony’s newly announced PlayStation®4, its next-generation computer entertainment system.

The PS3™/PS4™ version of Diablo III will be based on the critically acclaimed core experience of the PC version, including all of the latest upgrades, such as the Paragon leveling system, customizable Monster Power, Brawling, and epic Legendary items. In addition, Blizzard is designing an all-new user interface, including an intuitive control scheme and a new dynamic camera perspective, that will make questing and combat in the world of Sanctuary feel like second nature on PlayStation platforms. Players will be able to battle their way through the story in single-player mode and also experience the hack-and-slash joy of destroying demons and collecting loot together with their friends via seamless four-player online and local co-op modes.

Blizzard also announced today that the PS3 version of Diablo III will be shown live at PAX East, taking place at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center from March 22–24. Attendees there will be the first in the world to pick up a controller and experience the fast-paced action and visceral gameplay of Diablo III via the new custom-designed interface.

“Diablo III looks and plays great on the PlayStation,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We put a lot of care and thought into the PlayStation version to make sure it would deliver an authentic Diablo gaming experience, and we’re really pleased with the results. We can’t wait for players to try it out at PAX East.”

Diablo III continues the epic Diablo storyline, with players taking on the role of one of five heroic characters—barbarian, witch doctor, wizard, monk, or demon hunter—and embarking on a perilous quest to save the world of Sanctuary from the corrupting forces of the Burning Hells. As players adventure through rich and varied settings, they’ll engage in pulse-pounding combat with hordes of monsters and challenging bosses, grow in experience and ability, acquire artifacts of incredible power, and meet key characters who’ll join them in battle or aid them along the way. Diablo III was originally released for Windows® and Macintosh® PC on May 15, 2012 and within 24 hours became the fastest-selling PC game of all time. As of December 31, 2012, Diablo III had sold through more than 12 million copies worldwide.
More information.

So will it require you to log online to play at all times also? I bet it does. So allow me to say who cares as someone who still hasn't played it.:)

I also haven't played it. Then again... I don't plan to.
So I'm joining the "who cares" club.

I'm joining "who cares" club too.

The game just isn't fun. A few people here at the watch recomended Path of Exile and that is a much better game and it's free to play. Played D1 and D2 (plus all the expansions) but D3 is just boring.

The game just isn't fun. A few people here at the watch recomended Path of Exile and that is a much better game and it's free to play. Played D1 and D2 (plus all the expansions) but D3 is just boring.

I'm totally agree with u, i have D3, bored me to death but Path of Exile is fun as hell.

The fact that they're releasing it on both systems tells me that perhaps the PS4 isn't going to be backwards compatible with PS3 games after all. Otherwise, I don't see the point of releasing it on both consoles.

The fact that they're releasing it on both systems tells me that perhaps the PS4 isn't going to be backwards compatible with PS3 games after all. Otherwise, I don't see the point of releasing it on both consoles.

I read some news about Sony adding a streaming feature to provide for backwards compatibility. Sounds fishy to me... but yeah. Its really unlikely there will be real backwards compatibility anyways.

I read some news about Sony adding a streaming feature to provide for backwards compatibility. Sounds fishy to me… but yeah. Its really unlikely there will be real backwards compatibility anyways.

They did this already with the PS3 after they took out backward compatibility. You will have to repurchase the same games to play them on the PS4. Nothing new and people will still buy the PSN classic games.

There just using the streaming as a excuse to justify it this time.

Well, there is the angle that some people will not have a PS4 and would still buy the game on the PS3.

But I still get your point and after the PS3 one has to take with a grain of salt all things out of Sony when it comes to what they say about backward compatibility. You have to really pay attention to the ever-changing fine print (i.e. limited backward compatibility to certain games, backward compatibility on some iterations of the hardware but not others - and on the machines with such backward compatibility you'll pay more and so on and so forth).

I'll start the "this is awesome!" club, then :).

I told my dad about this and he said he's buying a PS4 because of this game. I'm inclined to agree although I probably wouldn't buy one just for Diablo, as I would like to see the other RPG offerings that come out for the PS4, but having the new Diablo on a console is great. Definitely makes me think about which console I'm going to buy next.

Have any other RPGs been announced for the PS4?

I don't think that the "who cares club" is reactionary enough. I support the "Eat Shit, Blizzard" club.

I think that they are just wasting money on porting(but than again it's blizzard they got tons of it),there was lot of hype for release of D3 and they sold bunch of copies because of it,now there is lot of feedback and anywhere I looked it was either negative or very negative.

Maybe Sony motivated them to port D3 to the PS4?

Well, there is the angle that some people will not have a PS4 and would still buy the game on the PS3.

It's not the PS3 version I'm questioning, it's the PS4 version. I think the PS3 has enough horsepower to have an accurate port of D3 with all the bells and whistles.

*Edit* Nevermind. I just found an article that seems to confirm that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...atible-old-games-available-through-cloud.aspx

Good why shouldn't console gamers have the opportunity to suffer through the game as well.

I only played the demo but it was very boring. I will admit I've never been a huge diablo fan but I did complete the first one. As someone else said the game just wasn't fun.

Console gamers have been suffering from all sorts of crapware from EA and the like. The unfortunate thing is that they will most likely like the game because the quality standards on console are generally not very high after being watered down with Call Of Duties and other annually released titles.

So yeah, ActiBlizz will likely have a fresh crowd of zombies to support the failure of a Diablo game that D3 is...

makes for a quick buck. If they made D2 for it would that have even better sales?

Back
Top Bottom