Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

I might of had some fatigue by the time i played blood and wine. I had played the full game. Then started again almost right away a replay with both expansion.

It was a great setting, a really nice change. Though by the time got there i had 400 hours in...just wanted to finish it.

Yeah, I started getting burned-out on TW3 around the 150 hour mark. That's common for me though with any really long game no matter how good it is.

Guess I'm a different here. I can't remember being worn burned out by a game. I had 160 hours in Pathfinder and would have played longer.

With the disappointing navi it is not a bad thing the release date is only next year April. I hope to have ryzen 3 and navi 2 by then so I can play with full raytracing capabilities (yes that's important, just like hairworks). Excited.

I think we know who the Fanboy is here, and same with all those dissing on Gibson's opinion - the guy who invented the genre. Basically they all had to check Wikipedia to see who he was. Lord help anyone who comes remotely close to criticizing precious CD Project Red.

You could read what Gibson said about Blade Runner but I'll just tell you he feared comparisons - he was in the middle of another rewrite when he saw the movie (the look of Blade Runner was taken a Moebius comic in Heavy Metal called The Long Tomorrow, as well 100 other Sci-Fi movies including Star Wars, Alien, and the Fifth Element)

In fairness to Gibson, which no one gives him, he downplayed it was just his opinion. He didn't actually diss it - he said he thought the first trailer looked more like GTA then Cyberpunk, which a lot of people did. And its nicer than what Asimov thought about Lucas and his robots.

Oh dear, funny how it's always same people who are upset and calling others fanboys. :p

1. He actually had a ( lot ) more positive opinion when he saw public demo

Looks *much* better to me than the earlier teaser. Has "dirt in the corners" texture.

2. Short trailer was almost entirely focused on area of the game ( Industrial/"Asian"), most developed at the time. It also was entirely taken in daylight ( and it's common knowledge how much night time highlights colors/cyberpunk "mood")

3. Gibson isn't infallible authority on Cyberpunk. Nor is genre bound to only one, rigid ( Bladerunner) artistic direction

4. This is portrayal of Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk: which is far more vibrant, colorful, with more emphasis on "punk"

5. GTA series is known for belivable, realistic design of American cities. Where does 2077 take place in? In American city. In what section of the town did the teaser largely take place in? In rundown part of the town, largely dominated by "old tech"/architecture.
So it's hardly surprising why they would share a lot of visual similarities.

No, by all means, tell us who the fanboy is here. :)

I'm not sure who had to check Wikipedia to see who William Gibson was, but it wasn't me. I still think he sounded a little resentful there, but you can believe what you like.
Even if he didn't mean it that way, it doesn't change the fact that he's no authority on a Cyberpunk 2020 crpg.

The funniest thing to me about Gibson worshippers is how you keep parroting that he's "the guy who invented the genre" as if he did it entirely by himself. There's no doubt he was probably the single biggest influence on cyberpunk in the 80s and 90s, but he certainly didn't invent the genre even if he did coin some of the more popular terminology used in it. The origins of cyberpunk go back a lot further than Neuromancer, but I'm surprised I'd need to point that out to someone who's as knowledgeable as you about the subject. ;)

All these winking icons, it's like Internet forum cold war. ;)

As someone who is not a cyberpunk fan, my 2 cents. I don't care what Gibson thinks of the game. I didn't ever read his famous book, and just am not interested because I don't think the cyberpunk genre itself is all that interesting. I'm not impressed by "celebrity opinions" to start with. For example, Stephen King has the lamest opinions on politics around, at least from my perspective, but that doesn't mean I think his horror novels are any less or that he isn't a brilliant horror writer. Carry on, 2 cents over.

As someone who is not a cyberpunk fan, my 2 cents. I don't care what Gibson thinks of the game. I didn't ever read his famous book, and just am not interested because I don't think the cyberpunk genre itself is all that interesting. I'm not impressed by "celebrity opinions" to start with. For example, Stephen King has the lamest opinions on politics around, at least from my perspective, but that doesn't mean I think his horror novels are any less or that he isn't a brilliant horror writer. Carry on, 2 cents over.
It's rather odd to compare a celebrity's opinions on politics to a celebrity's opinion on something from a genre that he largely created.

Ok, sure, that is true. And yet, I still don't give a fig about what Gibson thinks of the game. *shrug* I'm sure Gibson fans feel very differently, and consider it important. Fine.

To me, it is not. Hell, I find opinions of forum regulars here far more important in terms of their thoughts and impressions of Cyberpunk 2077 than I would ever give any weight to what Gibson happens to think.

I'm aware of being too late but I have to say it.

I've played only GTA5 of all GTA games. Said numerous times it's (different vehicles) racing simulator with a story. And it's mediocre rubbish I can't nor ever will recommend buying. Why is it so popular, beats me. All I know it was the first and will be the last GTA game I bought as I have no time for mediocrity.

If someone expects CP2077 to be another mediocre vehicles racer, okay, I can understand statements it looks like GTA to you.
But not a single thing in any CP2077 presentation looked like GTA to me. In fact to me it looks like everything GTA is not.

I tend to agree with Gibson to be honest; the general aesthetic does strike me as too much like GTA to interest me at this point. Too generic, slick, trendy and hip with lots of pretty neon lights. The nod to Johnny Mnemonic was cute though. I'm going to need more RPG elements and cyberpunk mood fully on display before I'd commit to this one. Musically, I'd love some darksynth/cyberpunk tunage rather the industrial stuff that I'm hearing as well. The 'Watch discussions on this are no doubt going to get interesting. :)

I'm hardly a Gibson fanboy. The guy is a bit of douche. And Neuromancer or Johnny Mneumonic, the first short story, wasn't written in a bubble. Punk (rock) cynicism regarding the future took over in the late '70's after the popularity of the book Futureshock which critiqued the hippy movement by showing it's logical extremes. It was also dated in it's own time with its paranoid Reagan-era fear of corporate take over of society including the laughable takeover of the West by Japan. Again, see my link on Moebius' The Long Tomorrow.

I'm just pushing back on the cacophony on the web who criticize his comments just because they never heard of him. Its not so different from people defending the plagiarism of Led Zeppelin because they never heard the great blues musicians they stole from until they were sued. His opinion is noteworthy because he invented the genre. Bruce Bethke, who invented the term, certainly believes that. But success has many fathers; failure is an orphan.
Bruce Bethke said:
IMPORTANT POINT ! I never claimed to have invented cyberpunk fiction ! That honor belongs primarily to William Gibson, whose 1984 novel, Neuromancer, was the real defining work of "The Movement" (at the time, Mike Swanwick argued that the movement writers should properly be termed neuromantics, since so much of what they were doing was clearly imitation Neuromancer).
http://irc.liber-mundi.org/cp_project.php?txt=22&lng=us
--
Thanks for the updated quote. I've been looking for one. Which trailor was that for by the way, and when was the comment? Do you have links?

Last edited:
I would think those that are followers of the Cyberpunk genre will put a lot more weight on various people who are tied to it.

I was never into any of that myself so I am looking at the game purely from the perspective of whether or not it looks fun to play and does it have the elements I like to play.

In general that is where my mind is all the time now. Time is tight so I don't care who is making BG3 (even though I am a huge BG fan who played it close to a dozen times), whether Cyber2077 adheres to some collectives idea of what cyberpunk is, whether FO4 is like FO1 and 2, and so on.

Is the game fun? Do I get excited about it? Does it have the elements I enjoy in a game?

Really that is all that matters to me. If a game is 100% accurate to some old version of itself (BG3 to BG1) or whether it matches the lore 100% (Cyber or Bloodlines 2), is nice but irrelevant in the end as I don't buy it if it doesn't look fun even if it is loyal to the lore/previous games.

Likewise if a game isn't loyal or consistent but looks like it will be a great game *shrug* I will get it.

Caveat: Of course fun is relevant. So if part of the fun for someone is a game that does stick to the lore or some past experience than I can understand them not putting the game in their fun and enjoyable category and hence won't buy it.

I just have a hard time limiting my own games in that way.

I'm aware of being too late but I have to say it.

I've played only GTA5 of all GTA games. Said numerous times it's (different vehicles) racing simulator with a story. And it's mediocre rubbish I can't nor ever will recommend buying. Why is it so popular, beats me. All I know it was the first and will be the last GTA game I bought as I have no time for mediocrity.

If someone expects CP2077 to be another mediocre vehicles racer, okay, I can understand statements it looks like GTA to you.
But not a single thing in any CP2077 presentation looked like GTA to me. In fact to me it looks like everything GTA is not.

Ill be awaiting your post after your first failed timed race in CP2077. :biggrin:

For what was shown, definitively a GTA vibe, at least from trailers's point of view.
They even copied the use of stereotypes, even though GTA bends toward derision when this product smells of seriousness. They mean their stereotypes when the GTA series mock them. The TW3 is based on historical Poland train of thought.

The big difference is that GTA is an established franchise and GTA trailers send back to known content, they tease content, players know what they are attached to.

This product, complete fog. Apart from 2077, and a guy speaking like a Haitian freshly fallen from the boat.

GTA games are more than the story they deliver, they are more than the representations they convey. This product, well, it would be surprising.

No matter what, they will be given a free pass.

Exciting stuff
a820b8ac031f8a1dc7a2c6df07512b6d.jpg
e09449f509698fc802f5d90dc690af16.jpg
f68c26ee6c365abe880cdc13f66f8467.jpg
3abf5d9b1afda357b09fd1d2fb924a61.jpg
f089be4f183ac3814d7ddcfc04986c9c.jpg
20453b879c9bc44b6bf4d0bba8d47c77.jpg
b7db601e3c40fcb54afdb5e50f776952.jpg
64948dd4be209d069475bd1b17d7b0ea.jpg
6e4fe97a21626ab516b7049c94a83971.jpg
6c6422f82e14bc6150061b59bc7b8f7a.jpg
860bd54db6a69d7fcff438dfb9a6b7c6.jpg

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

I tend to agree with Gibson to be honest; the general aesthetic does strike me as too much like GTA to interest me at this point. Too generic, slick, trendy and hip with lots of pretty neon lights. The nod to Johnny Mnemonic was cute though. I'm going to need more RPG elements and cyberpunk mood fully on display before I'd commit to this one. Musically, I'd love some darksynth/cyberpunk tunage rather the industrial stuff that I'm hearing as well. The 'Watch discussions on this are no doubt going to get interesting. :)

It should look pretty retro 80's future i think, but it might need a bit more grit. Any open world like this will be somewhat comparable to GTA, which is hardly a bad thing, it's not like GTA is a failure either graphically or elsewhere. Afaik the latest GTA was the most expensive computer game ever made, and it kind of shows too..

I guess they could add some kind of dirt filter over it, or perhaps a shader that just makes it more gritty somehow.. this does tend to get old rather quick though. It's a computer game, it will look like a computer game.

It needs a soundtrack by Frontline Assembly.. should definitely be more industrial / EBM than synthpop..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom