Pillars of Eternity II - Deadfire - growing tired of it, any ideas ? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pillars of Eternity II - Deadfire - growing tired of it, any ideas ?

Default Pillars of Eternity II - Deadfire - growing tired of it, any ideas ?

December 13th, 2019, 22:51
Hey People,

I really love isometric RPGs (BG, wasteland, Fallout, Torment, etc) and had a lot of fun with POE 1…. right now I am playing part 2 - Deadfire…. and i really find it to be some sort of chore…… I am level 12 and have the experience for leveling up 3 further levels, but somehow it doesn`t appeal to me…. i really grow tired of it, however I am sort of a completionist….. I don´t really dig this carribean / exotic setting..

Did anyone suffer from the same problem ? Any ideas on how to continue or to keep on hanging on ?

T´would be nice to hear your opinion…..

L.

Lannister

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 13th, 2019, 22:57
Only advise I can give is to stop playing PoE 2 and play something else. Then at one point in the future either re-start or load your old save. That's how I finished both.

I also never finished the Original Sin games either. One day I probably will.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"
Last edited by Couchpotato; December 13th, 2019 at 23:23.

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

December 13th, 2019, 23:22
Cheers, Thank you for your fast reply…. I am kind of reluctant to dive into another game as I might not rememeber POE2´s story anymore when recontinuing….. but your are probably right…..

Lannister

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

December 13th, 2019, 23:54
I don't think I was every bored while playing the second Pillars game. The first one yes, and quite often at that. With the second game I simply just kept exploring, it took me quite some time just to clear that whole map!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 00:33
I have nothing to say that will help you, but I want to comment anyway.

I am also a completionist, and I rarely 'finish' games.
I've come to learn that finishing the game isn't super important to me.
I love knowing there is more stuff out there I haven't discovered yet. Which is why I like large openworld style games, or isometric mammoths.
Its less important to me actually getting to the end, than knowing that I could keep playing and discovering if I wanted.

If I leave a save too long, I end up restarting with a new party, and I never quite mind
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 01:55
Going from one set of droll islands to the next with nary but a couple two minute detours on each island doesn't appeal to you?

My advice is play Kingmaker instead, fantastically more fun game if you're looking for exploration in the style of Baldur's Gate and character building comparable to Icewind Dale's 3.5 ruleset. Plus a lot more.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 02:22
That's exactly what I did, @Drithius. I put 100 hours into PoE 2 and never really had that much fun. The main quest was interesting but the rest? I didn't want to help any of the factions at all.

P.S. We've got a forum especially for Pillars and another for Kingmaker a bit further down the list.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 08:51
Hey People, Thank you for your input….. I guess I`ll put POE aside…. do you think it would be wise to change the type of RPG (e.f. play Mass Effect Andromeda or Elex or Kingdom come) to escape the isometric Deadfire Tiredness…. ? Would IMHO make sense…

Lannister

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

December 14th, 2019, 08:55
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
Hey People, Thank you for your input….. I guess I`ll put POE aside…. do you think it would be wise to change the type of RPG (e.f. play Mass Effect Andromeda or Elex or Kingdom come) to escape the isometric Deadfire Tiredness…. ? Would IMHO make sense…
I switch genres.
So Action or Strategy for TB-RPG, or something completely different like Factorio.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 09:14
Not sure if this applies to you, because I'm a bit odd in this way, but if an RPG bores me I tend to drop gaming for awhile and do another hobby, like making music or watching TV. I always come back to gaming later but it happens very naturally, I get inspired again and game heavily for awhile. You may be burnt out like that and need a break, dunno. Hope you find comfort though in whatever you do.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 12:44
If you don't like it don't play it. Just because someone enjoyed a game doesn't mean you are required to enjoy the game.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

December 14th, 2019, 14:47
The thing is, these kind of isometric baldurs-gate-like games are the ones I usually enjoy most, however this hopping from island to island, clearing that dungeon doing that faction quest, etc, etc…… It is really getting on my nerves…..
and I am kind of wondering what exactly is causing this

Lannister

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

December 14th, 2019, 15:24
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
The thing is, these kind of isometric baldurs-gate-like games are the ones I usually enjoy most, however this hopping from island to island, clearing that dungeon doing that faction quest, etc, etc…… It is really getting on my nerves…..
and I am kind of wondering what exactly is causing this
Burn out? I've done one this year for the genre (iso party based games) and it was* my favorite genre. I moved to play Deus Ex Mankind Divided (not as a pacifist) as a way to cleanse myself.

Currently trying to play Pathfinder Kingmaker and I don't think I'm cured of it yet.

Saying that, Deadfire is easy to end once you can reach Magran's Teeth without 100% it.

*seems my taste changed or I'm really not in the mood for those these days.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 15th, 2019, 12:53
THank you all for your suggestions:

You are probably right that I should change the subgenre….

I have a huge backlog, and i am thinking of playing either :
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Elex
Disco Elysium
Kingdom Come deliverance
Mass Effect Andromeda
Demonicon
The SInking City
The Technomancer
The Outer World
LA Noire

Which one would you suggest, I am kind of undecided.. I am tinking about Mass Effect as it also is Scifi so thats very different from Deadfire….

Thank you for your input / suggestions….

Lannister

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

December 15th, 2019, 14:18
I would give Elex a try. Great exploration and I enjoyed the character advancement. The rocket pack was an extra layer of exploration. The game is like a sci fi Gothic. All the factions are kinda dicks in the game, so that was my only downside.

I like your Avatar. Still wish Jamie and Ned would have had a fair fight.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

December 15th, 2019, 15:14
I vote for Sinking City or LA Noire if you are also burn out of RPGs and not just "isometric" party based one.

MEA, Elex, The Outer Worlds or Technomancer if you are just tired of medieval-y setting and like scifi.

Assassin Creed Odyssey is a strange game to me. I don't hate anything about it, but it failed to grab me.

Disco Elysium could be different but it's also "isometric".

Saying that, I started playing The Outer Worlds yesterday and I'm having a blast so far.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

December 15th, 2019, 15:28
I grew tired of Eternity 2 the moment I saw reset character on returned companions. Then it slapped you with abuse of the giant statue from the first game and neglect of the stronghold statue that somehow reappeared on the ship. Etc.

The tiredness didn't stop me from finishing the game though but I won't be dancing happily if they announce Eternity 3. Don't want to see reused stuff in a wrong way again.

The idea is don't play anything for a few days. If you do, you'll never return to it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

December 16th, 2019, 22:19
I'm burned out on these isometric games. Plus, I dislike all the fake language stuff they used. And some of the maps are pointlessly confusing. I didn't really like this game, but it was better than the first one.

FizzyShellfish

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

December 16th, 2019, 22:30
I play multiple games parallel, and finish or get very far through most games I play. I think playing a game every three days or so and playing something else in between prevents me from getting tired of games.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

December 16th, 2019, 23:08
what i don`t understand is that BG really had this P&P vibe, I was really drawn into it…. POE seems sterile, everything seems so "constructed"……. as if someone tried to make it seem clearly different to standard BG-like fantasy "on purpose"…… like "trying too hard"…..

I still haven`t played Pathfinder Kingmaker, so I really hope that this one is better than POE in the future….
Last edited by Lannister; December 16th, 2019 at 23:35.

Lannister

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pillars of Eternity II - Deadfire - growing tired of it, any ideas ?