Disco Elysium - Best PC Game of 2019 @ Shacknews - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Disco Elysium - Best PC Game of 2019 @ Shacknews

Default Disco Elysium - Best PC Game of 2019 @ Shacknews

January 1st, 2020, 13:15
For Shacknews the best PC game of 2019 is Disco Elysium:

Shacknews Best PC Game of 2019 - Disco Elysium

Disco Elysium is unparalleled in the RPG space, offering a gripping narrative and a vibrant world making it an obvious choice for Shacknews Best PC Game of 2019.

Disco Elysium has forever shifted the paradigm of what can be considered a good RPG. From the creative mind at ZA/UM studio, Disco Elysium thrusts the player into the body of an alcoholic and drug-abusing detective in the midst of a murder investigation in a psychedelic world. It manages to offer a gripping narrative set out over a 40-60 hour experience, and enough soul and panache to make any disco-lover boogie all night long. It has won the hearts of the Shacknews staff, and as such has been crowned our Best PC Game of 2019.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 03:37
It certainly belongs near the top of any RPG rating list for 2019.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 04:42
I'm struggling to remember what other RPGs were even released on PC in 2019. It seemed to be another really slow year for the genre.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 05:16
It’s best pc game not best RPG.

Disco Elysian isn’t my kind of game so I can’t comment on it. I’ll just say as I did in another thread my best game of 2019 is sekiro.

I don’t take these list seriously anyway. Many are just clickbait.

Yesterday I watched a YouTube video by gaming bolt that had mortal Kombat 11 as having the best video game story of 2019.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 08:10
"Disco Elysium is unparalleled in the RPG space…"

"Disco Elysium has forever shifted the paradigm of what can be considered a good RPG."

What a load of hype…

HellRazor

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 10:29
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post

Yesterday I watched a YouTube video by gaming bolt that had mortal Kombat 11 as having the best video game story of 2019.
Maybe it did! I mean, I highly doubt it, but I didn't play or watch MK11, so I can't say I know for sure that it doesn't.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 11:22
I hope i like it, got it in the steam sale; but i see different opinions on length, some ppl say 20h and here they say 40-60h lol.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 14:10
Was 30 hours for me and I did absolutely everything I could find. I dunno how it could possibly take anyone 50 or 60 hours. 40 maybe if you're extremely leisurely.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

January 2nd, 2020, 15:29
So far I gave it just short try how it feels (about 1,5 hour). I died of heart attack during conversation with some brat who was throwing rocks on hanging body. Its definitely super weird thing. but right now my detective itch is scratched by Blade Runner released by GOG. Really superior adventure game, cant recommend it enough. And top notch atmosphere, underlined by visuals and tones of the Vangelis soundtrack from movie. Audio visual heaven. Not even badly aged vector graphics used on characters can spoil that.

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 6th, 2020, 21:14
I enjoyed the game, but what is was, was a point-n'-click story adventure, with a thin veneer of RPG-lite mechanics laid atop it.

Dhraiden

Hero in Search of Glory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 7th, 2020, 02:45
I feel like those who insist it's a point and click adventure game can't have played any point and click adventure games. I have, lots, and none of them are what Disco Elysium is. Disco Elysium isn't like most RPGs, either. Which brings us to the fact that the debate over whether it's a or b is futile and pointless, because it's its own thing. Games aren't just a or b. It's also a pretty cool thing, if you ask me.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

January 7th, 2020, 23:30
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I feel like those who insist it's a point and click adventure game can't have played any point and click adventure games…
I love classic point and click adventures.
But as far as i know no new classic point and click adventures were released since a couple of years. Disco Elysium is the best what we got in this genre for years. So to see this game as a point and click adventure is obvious, just because certain of its characteristics are very rare today in games.

I agree that Disco Elysium is very unique and that people are too inclined to putting things in boxes.
But people like to do it and I think Disco Elysium could have more buyers if the adventure game community would recognize it more.

Kylex

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

January 8th, 2020, 19:33
Sorry but Disco Elysium feels more interactive fiction than an RPG to me. Technically there are stats but that's mostly in service of giving you dialogue choice/options to choose.

Anyway good game but definitely not RPG of the year. I'd choose Greedfall or Outer Worlds since 2019 was a bad year for RPGs. 2020 looks more promising.

Can't wait to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Bloodlines 2.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

January 8th, 2020, 20:39
Originally Posted by Kylex View Post
I love classic point and click adventures.
But as far as i know no new classic point and click adventures were released since a couple of years. Disco Elysium is the best what we got in this genre for years. So to see this game as a point and click adventure is obvious, just because certain of its characteristics are very rare today in games.
You're not looking hard enough. Unavowed, Thimbleweed Park, Whispers of a Machine, and plenty more.

And what characteristics are you referring to? Clicking on things isn't enough to define the genre, because you click on things in every game. Point and click adventure games don't have text-based interfaces. They don't have levels or skills or stats. They often (but not always) make heavy use of object interaction between inventory items or between inventory items and the environment, something Disco Elysium barely does.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

January 8th, 2020, 20:50
It's an awesome game, this generation's Torment. Although Tides of Numenera was excellent too and might have something to say about that. Still, Disco is a bomb game. Highly recommended if you haven't played it yet and like great detective mystery RPGs.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

January 9th, 2020, 07:47
Time for a real, true point & click adventure games definition thread.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

January 9th, 2020, 08:51
Why? Just enjoy it for what it is.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

January 9th, 2020, 13:37
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Time for a real, true point & click adventure games definition thread.
Here? No.
Specific genre site, adventuregamers, exists for decades already.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

January 9th, 2020, 14:20
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
Why?
Because it brings insecurity. Not knowing is torture. It prevents from associating with a group. Kind like a fifth column. This product is told to be RPG, fanboys join the group and eventually, they social engineer the group to be P&C dedicated. It is no longer RPG. The group is all in the american system.

Must keep the ranks in order, track down an enemy from within.

Like the space traveller in Alien. Had to be known. Mysteries are unbearable. Questions must be answered or it brings insecurites. The answers were delivered in life changing movies.

Or Space marines in W40k. Must know how they are made, or situation look out of control. It brings insecurity. Can not be a world of half truths, half lies even in the emperor relies heavily on propaganda.

Insecurity.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Disco Elysium - Best PC Game of 2019 @ Shacknews