The TV Series discussion thread - Page 259 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

May 30th, 2020, 10:32
I saw the first 2 episodes, and it's nothing "amazing", but it's pretty good. I'm enjoying Carrell a lot. The satire is in spades. What I'm surprised is they got Malkovich on board. He's usually a very serious actor, so I wonder what his motivation is in all this.

I'm sure it won't be The Office level of funny, which I loved, but I also remember that I was pretty luke-warm to The Office upon the initial viewing. And it really grew on me with subsequent viewings. I think currently I saw the whole Office series at least 5-10 times already.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

May 30th, 2020, 17:04
We watched the first episode last night … and it was 'OK'. Yes the obvious basis is brain-dead political announcement from a certain clueless idiot … but that is honestly not enough to power a show, and fortunately they knew that and tried to go beyond it at least in the first episode.

My wife was the least impressed … will see when we decide whether or not to watch another episode …
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

May 30th, 2020, 17:54
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
We watched the first episode last night … and it was 'OK'. Yes the obvious basis is brain-dead political announcement from a certain clueless idiot … but that is honestly not enough to power a show, and fortunately they knew that and tried to go beyond it at least in the first episode.

My wife was the least impressed … will see when we decide whether or not to watch another episode …
I'm 4 episodes into it, and it's really growing on me. I like Carell's character quite a bit. But he is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes he's outrageous and a charicature, like Michael Scott in the Office, sometimes he's more realistic.

I do like that they make fun of the military, quite a bit. It's really outrageous how the US handles the military vs any other of its responsabilities. And this is coming from someone living outside the US. But there are still glimmers of american exceptionalism in the show, which I'm not sure yet if they're meant as honest or satire. I hope for the latter.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

May 30th, 2020, 19:41
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I'm sure it won't be The Office level of funny, which I loved, but I also remember that I was pretty luke-warm to The Office upon the initial viewing. And it really grew on me with subsequent viewings. I think currently I saw the whole Office series at least 5-10 times already.
Which reminds me of Ricky Gervais at the Emmys:
loading…

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 31st, 2020, 18:19
Ok, the fifth episode of Space Force was the first episode I can clearly label as bad. It's also starting to look like they're probably going to run out of steam. There's just not enough material to work with, and the cast is also pretty limited. The only characters that get any significant time is Carell and Malkovich.

This in comparison with The Office which had a lot more material to critique. Or maybe military life is just not as relateable as corporate life in a company. But The Office also had a way bigger cast, where there were the 4 (vs 2 in Space Force) main characters, and a whole lot of really likeable secondary characters.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

June 8th, 2020, 17:29
Watched Mandalorion S1.

I like all SW movies except for Phantom Menace, which is awful. But I don't feel any deep love towards SW universe.

…So this series was kinda boring to me. If you take away your affection for SW in general, what remains is very strong production values. Stories are generic and dull, characters are generic and dull, and most of the 8 episodes were a struggle to get through.

The main character is good, the baby is good, the (almost main) villain is good, and whenever the main story advances (25-50% of the time), it's a good series. Some of the action is also very strong for a TV series. Really enjoyed the final showdown in EP3, AT-ST in EP4, and the TIE-fighter scene in EP8.

But mostly it's just filler. I didn't care much for it.

tuukka

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 17:58
loading…

might have spoilers, didnt watch it
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

June 16th, 2020, 18:19
Seriously - PLEASE POST SOME BASIC INFO!!!

Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Could you please give more information above the video link so people know what they're supposed to be watching.
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
loading…

might have spoilers, didnt watch it
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 16th, 2020, 18:20
info of what? it clearly says the title of the video for me "Dark Season 3 | Official Trailer | Netflix"
--
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

June 16th, 2020, 18:33
info of what? it clearly says the title of the video for me "Dark Season 3 | Official Trailer | Netflix"
NO IT DOES NOT SAY ANY SUCH THING!

ALL that is on the pasted thumbnail isi “Netflix” and “Official Trailer”. No other information unless you click into the video.

THAT is why you have been asked REPEATEDLY to post some actual useful information. PLEASE just take 5 seconds and include the title … again, people keep asking.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 16th, 2020, 18:35
so why dont you click on the video then, since its not starting?
--
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

June 16th, 2020, 18:38
Yeah the site used to show the video title when it was embedded, but that has changed due to an update. Either way please post the title or a short description. Makes it easier.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

June 16th, 2020, 18:41
Either way, its on fire!
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 18:48
so why dont you click on the video then, since its not starting?
Because - again as has been asked of you repeatedly - people would like an idea of what they are clicking on before they click on it.

It is a small courtesy for you to provide since you are the one sharing something that you feel is of some value. That is all that is being asked - basic courtesy.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

+1:

June 16th, 2020, 19:00
I thought Carell and Malkovich were really good in Space Force but the writing is all over the place.

Carell's character starts off as seeming to be a clueless idiot with the rational scientist Malkovich as leading straight man having to deal with clueless idiots in the military.

But as the series progresses we discover Carell's character has quite a bit of depth and the scientists opinions of themselves and decision making ability can just be plain wrong. He actually comes across as someone who knows his strengths and weaknesses, trying to get something done and stay afloat as the world tries to come crashing down on him. There's different motivations for all the characters involved and he has to juggle them.

Even the purpose of the Space Force is pointed out as a necessary evil in light of Chinese passive aggression in space, as well growing interest from India and pointing out the US has taken a step back. The US is clearly in catch up mode again. They point this out well even while lampooning it to the point of absurdity. I'm surprised Daniels managed to point this out instead of dismissing it altogether.

(for the record, I did witness first hand a small part in America's Space Situational Awareness program 10 years ago when the Chinese knocked out a derelict satellite just to show they could. I was interning at on a program that worked on it. The US stopped playing that game 40 years ago, and the Soviets 30 years ago as they agreed to stop - so now China started playing.)

Nevertheless its okay, until it goes the toilet when
Spoiler

There's also some real insight in how government and the military work with all the jockeying for position and backstabbing going on. I wish I could remember a couple of things I caught that I knew were part of the military culture that others might miss. The critics trash it because it doesn't attack the current administration as hard as they want.

I'm not sure I'm going to watch the rest of the series. I'll give season two a few episodes before I decide.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

June 16th, 2020, 19:34
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Yeah the site used to show the video title when it was embedded, but that has changed due to an update. Either way please post the title or a short description. Makes it easier.
That must have changed fairly recently, did it? I remember I used to write the details when I posted in the Currently Listening thread, but then I realised it always had the title on the video thumbnail, and I stopped bothering to repeat it.
--
"And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'tis that I may not weep."

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

June 16th, 2020, 20:30
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
That must have changed fairly recently, did it? I remember I used to write the details when I posted in the Currently Listening thread, but then I realised it always had the title on the video thumbnail, and I stopped bothering to repeat it.
If I remember the site changed the method of how the videos are embedded. It used to crash when you reached a certain amount. Check the RpgWatch forum it was mentioned.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

June 17th, 2020, 22:04
I just rewatched Netflix's Dark Season 1 in order to finally watch Season 2, waiting for the final Season (it will air next June 29th).

EDIT: my bad here, third Season will air next 27th June.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; June 22nd, 2020 at 06:54.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
+1:

June 17th, 2020, 22:12
A while ago Google changed their policy when using their API on accessing the videos. The policy included a limitation on the amount of videos that could be watched when using a free account. We are now not using the Google API anymore and that comes with one or two drawbacks.
I think posting a one liner of what the video is about isn’t too much effort and helps those who don’t want to click on any video and link without knowing what it is about.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

June 18th, 2020, 01:20
Yeah, not a problem. I think some of us were just puzzled by why there were suddenly calls for video descriptions, when for a long time it was unnecessary. Loads of the Currently Listening thread will now be a mystery selection.
--
"And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'tis that I may not weep."

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread