What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

My problem with Bladerunner is that I simply can't remember much that happens in it. I've seen it twice now in my life and the second time I watched it was because I couldn't remember if I'd seen it or not, then, as I watched it, all the scenes trigger my memory. Sitting here trying to think about it I still feel like I'm not sure if I've ever seen it or not. Its like someone flashes the Men in Black stick at me as soon as the credits roll.

I've no idea why this movie does this to me, only a few others have done this to me before. Maybe its because nothing really 'happens' in the movie and its just a nice atmosphere piece. I dunno, its one of those movies I just never got why people got so in love with it. But they assuredly did, and I'm not going to dispute them that, just saying it did nothing for me.

Wonder Woman
8/10

While the first half of the movie plods along, the culmination of this origin story is quite satisfying. It is also refreshing to see a super-hero movie with some character exposition that doesn't assail us with a brooding, "dark" portrayal of the lead character.

My main gripe with the film would have to be its overuse of [obvious] CGI.

'Rakka', with Sigourney Weaver, director Neill Blomkamp. Aliens have always been important to South-African/Canadian Blomkamp, e.g. in the townships of Johannesburg, 'District 9' [2009], or taking a police robot, 'Chappie' [2015].

Since last week 'Rakka' can be seen on YouTube for free. Almost 22 minutes. Again aliens, cruel and intelligent reptiles. This time in Texas 2020, they have gotten world domination. Weaver is leading the guerrilla.

Dutch newspaper: "The 4 chapters of 'Rakka' seem to be a foretaste of a movie for the cinema. (…) Rakka is not exactly low-budget, it shimmers(?) with refined tricks, explosions and crucifixions in blood and fire. (…) Rakka sounds like the referral to the capital of a caliphate, a political parallel, the fear of western man to be the victim of vindictive barbarians."

I have not seen it yet, watching it is on my to-do-list. But I thought some of you might be interested as well.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 6/10

I wouldn't have paid to see this, but the GF wanted to go. If you've seen the first movie, the sequel is just more of the same. Lots of fast action scenes with pretty CGI, and, like most of the Marvel films, it's too long for its own good. I was mildly entertained, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 5/10

It's easy to see why critics vomited all over this. It's just not a good movie any way you try to look at it. I think the decision to make it a prequel was a mistake, and it doesn't answer any of the questions the original series left open.

There was one scene that caught me by surprise though…

When Cooper sees Laura Palmer inside the Black Lodge and she tells him "I'll see you again in 25 years."

That's one hell of a coincidence, eh? :)

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 5/10

I feel like either you are being generous, my memory is weak on it, or my expectations at the time were too high ... either way I don't see myself finding out which it is :)

I feel like either you are being generous, my memory is weak on it, or my expectations at the time were too high … either way I don't see myself finding out which it is :)

What's funny is that it has a user score of 7.9 on Metacritic. I think it's safe to say those are some die-hard Lynch fans. :)

I've re-seen Fire Walk with Me right after re-watching the whole original two seasons, before this new third one came out. And I still liked it. Full of weirdness and information on things which were only referenced in these series. I also saw the extra 90 minutes of cut content. Weirdness galore in that. But I still liked it.

Now back to regular cinema, I just came back from Baby Driver. Liked it quite a bit. I love how they managed to meld the action on screen with the music. So cool. It was a fun movie. And I only now found out it's from the guy that brought us Shawn of the Dead, Hot fuzz, etc. Nice. Recommended. Also, the cast was great. All of them. So full of life. :D

Twin Peaks was a masterpiece of a film, as long as you realized Lynch wasn't going to include much of the goofiness from the tv series. Personally I didn't need to see her last week, but taking the current series into account, it has proven to be a good call. Everyone took her death as the event at the end of something, when it was quite the opposite. And yes, if you've not watched the missing pieces, you have not seen the film. At all.

Colossal - in which a confused young woman finds that every time she goes out and gets trashed, a kaiju materializes and attacks South Korea. Not entirely successful, but I enjoyed its quirky spirit and the surprising performance of Jason Sudeikis. Also, it will annoy all the right people.

Well, last night I had some old friends round, and we watched a double bill on the projector.

Watched Logan, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Haven't had such a good movie night for ages.

Logan blew my socks off. Whereas I think many creative works these days confuse gritty darkness with dramatic quality, I think they used the grim tone to excellent effect, and maintained a classic heroic story rather slipping into gross nihilism. I detected a touch of The Last of Us, too.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was a funny, quirky and moving movie from the guys behind What We Do In the Shadows. Very original, with a tone unlike any film I've seen.

Well, last night I had some old friends round, and we watched a double bill on the projector.

Watched Logan, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Haven't had such a good movie night for ages.

Logan blew my socks off. Whereas I think many creative works these days confuse gritty darkness with dramatic quality, I think they used the grim tone to excellent effect, and maintained a classic heroic story rather slipping into gross nihilism. I detected a touch of The Last of Us, too.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was a funny, quirky and moving movie from the guys behind What We Do In the Shadows. Very original, with a tone unlike any film I've seen.

Wtf...moe we are going to have to be friends..

What we do is ok need of my all time favs and hunt is equally well done.

I thought we were friends, barring a bit of forum wrestling. ;)

The African Doctor is a relatively good French movie about a doctor from Zaire moving to a tiny French village in the middle of nowhere. The people there have rarely seen black people and do not trust him or his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to see the latest Planet of the Apes movie with my 14 year old twins.
I didn't watch any trailers(well, maybe one) and hadn't planned on seeing it until my son asked me to take him. We went and without any spoilers for all of you, I have pretty mixed feelings about this one. It was not what I expected at all.

Finally watched Batman v Superman. Bad reviews made me hesitate, but the extended cut was received much better and that's what I watched. Really liked it. (I didn't like Man of Steel which came before, IIRC).

Right? To me it's a masterpiece and I also didn't watch (nor will) Man of Steel. Not even sure why (some) people were saying the movie is bad.

Right? To me it's a masterpiece and I also didn't watch (nor will) Man of Steel. Not even sure why (some) people were saying the movie is bad.
A friend of mine watched the theater version and said it was really bad. He did like the extended cut though and said it was like a completely different movie (he watched it three or four times).

The extended cut was fine - nothing jaw-dropping but ok. Whereas the theater release had so much discontinuity as to perplex you a good 1 - 2 dozen times, the extended cut trimmed that down to merely confusing you a half dozen times.

The movie still forced all the Justice League characters on viewers (despite no immediate plot relevance) and Batman's 'vision' of the future is still handled poorly within the context of the movie (albeit slightly less haphazardly than in the theatrical cut).

The high points of both movies are one and the same: the emergence of Wonder Woman on the battle field. It's quite telling when a character that has 5% of your screentime is more intriguing than all the other CGI schlock.

Latest Blade Runner trailer looks pretty good. Then again, I guess it would be hard to make a Blade Runner movie without the visual side being in order.

Not expecting much, as I'm neither a big fan of the original - nor of the director.

Back
Top Bottom