General News - 25 best tactical RPGs

Why does it have to be a JRPG? Did they invent tactics or something?

While I've enjoyed several Japanese SRPG's (Disgaia is a favourite, and I'll always have a soft spot for Shining Force. FFT is ok too but never kept my attention the entire way through), if the games on that list are RPG's, then so is JA2, X-com, Homm3 and most certainly WL2. All better games than most of that list in my opinion.

My top 5 without haven given it much thought:
1. X-com enemy unknown
2. JA2
3. FO:T
4. WL2
5. SR

Yeah, I prefer the western style…

While I've enjoyed several Japanese SRPG's (Disgaia is a favourite, and I'll always have a soft spot for Shining Force. FFT is ok too but never kept my attention the entire way through), if the games on that list are RPG's, then so is JA2, X-com, Homm3 and most certainly WL2. All better games than most of that list in my opinion.

My top 5 without haven given it much thought:
1. X-com enemy unknown
2. JA2
3. FO:T
4. WL2
5. SR

Yeah, I prefer the western style…

WL2 was a nice RPG, but the combat (at least at release, havent played the overhauled edition) was garbage and non-tactical.

My top 10 of "Games with tactical fights and RPG elements, which I'd still recommed today" in no particular order are:

1. Jagged Alliance 2
2. Xenonauts
3. Expeditions Conquistador
4. Legends of Eisenwald
5. Avernum: Escape from the pit (& Avernum 2 to lesser extend)
6. Avadon 1 (haven't played Avadon 2 yet)
7. Hard West
8. Massive Chalice
9. Pillars of Eternity
10. Darkest Dungeon

Ofc all games on hardest difficulty. If you can just blaze through the combat there are no tactics. Especially Pillars of Eternity, Avadon and Avernum will mainly receive their tactical elements by the highest difficulty setting.

Also honorable mention is Tahira: Imho far better than Banner Saga, but it does not include any RPG aspects

They have a bizarre excuse for not including XCOM and JA2:
(..) We’ve also decided to omit titles that tend to focus more on strategic than roleplaying aspects.

If they did not include classics such as XCOM because of that...

What is the excuse to not include Temple of elemental Evil???

ToEE should definitely be on the list, unless it's a JRPG list

Saying it's a JRPG list would be giving too much credit to the mental midgets who made that list. It's more like just a completely random piece of clickbait from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom