RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

It's definitely better than it was a week ago, but still feels slow at times compared to most other forums out there. Bringing up the page to post this took about 5+ seconds, for example.

If it isn’t raised this year, it is just going to be added to next year’s total.

Currently we are using Google Analytics for checking access to this site. It is however an option I very rarely use. I am in the process of replacing Google Analytics with Matomo (formerly Piwik), where we will be using a local installation of the tool, so all data will remain on the server. For this Matomo installation also the privacy settings related to tracking (which is only on this site) are enabled.
In the future I also add the option to disable tracking on this site, for those who want to have that.
Eye, pointed me to this and although I was aware of its existence, it triggered me to take some action as I think it is better than using Google. Thanks Eye.

Very nice. It may even improve accuracy of the useful data, as many of us may be blocking Google Analytics' shenanigans by default.

I have updated the Privacy Statement, to reflect that we are no longer using Google Analytics and have moved to Matomo, which is installed on our own server. The 'Tracking' section has been rewritten and in some other parts also some updates related to this have been changed. If you search for 'Matomo', you can find the updated sections.

I have updated the Privacy Statement again. This time I added a section that shows what cookies we are using and what the purpose of those cookies are, which can be found under the header: The information we use with cookies

I have updated the Privacy Statement again. This time I added a section that shows what cookies we are using and what the purpose of those cookies are, which can be found under the header: The information we use with cookies

What do you have to do to comply with the current European law requiring you to announce what you do with cookies? I had to get a nag filter for all these European sites and their pop ups.

Whenever we process personal identifiable data from a person, it requires consent. For that consent it is important to explain what data you are processing and for what purpose you are processing it. That is why there is a list explaining what we have in the database and why. Your consent is not explicitly asked for this, it is implicit as you have to agree with the TOS and Privacy statements, which is done when someone registers. For those who already registered a long time ago these documents were not what they were now. So, I have not explicitly asked your consent for the personal identifiable data we store in the database. Not entirely sure if that is completely compliant. That said, the only personal identifiable data, not under your control, we store, is the IP address.
For personal identifiable cookies, an opt-in is needed, which provides consent. The cookies needed to provide the basic functionality of the website, the so called functional cookies, don’t require an opt-in.
As you see in the listing there are two cookies that are not functional. I am working on getting an opt-in/out in place for those.

Last edited:
You could do a Miller Light and change it to Miller Lite if need be. That is, use another method not called cookies that does the same thing without calling it that. That's a time honored tradition in law.

--

I just discovered likes disappear if you edit your own post.

Last edited:
Yes, I notice that too, but that is intentional. Perhaps people do no longer like a post once it has been edited.

Because new members can change their profile and signature once they have seven approved posts, it seems fair that they’re able to like other peoples posts once they have reached that number, and not ten posts (which is the case right now).
Is it possible to change that? Ten -> seven.

Done.

Yes, I notice that too, but that is intentional. Perhaps people do no longer like a post once it has been edited.

No more likes for me then. Most of my posts get edited later, once I've noticed the shambles I've made of them. :p

No more likes for me then. Most of my posts get edited later, once I've noticed the shambles I've made of them. :p

Me too :p

Last edited:
Editing your post, that does not mean that people want to not like your post?
(He did say: intentional.)

Editing your post, that does not mean that people want to not like your post?
(He did say: intentional.)

I'm not quite following you.

I think the motivation behind it is that one could edit their post to mean the opposite of what it was originally saying. Just imagine someone writing "I don' t like person XYZ", you like that post and the person sees later that the post is wrong and changes it to "I do like person XYZ".

Besides that it is not an option that can be toggled on or off in the UI, so at the moment I am feeling that it is too much hassle to figure out how to let it not do that :)

I think the motivation behind it is that one could edit their post to mean the opposite of what it was originally saying. Just imagine someone writing "I don' t like person XYZ", you like that post and the person sees later that the post is wrong and changes it to "I do like person XYZ".

How many times does this occur here? (People editing your written ideas/opinions in order to make them appear the opposite)

I answer you: not so much. Over the threads I closely follow, I couldn't see this happening.

No problem - not going to lose sleep over it. :p

Back
Top Bottom