How long have you been playing computer RPGs? - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » How long have you been playing computer RPGs?

View Poll Results - How long have you been playing computer RPGs?

Since before the PC craze I played Adventure! on the Atari 2600! 21 31.34%
Since the era of the SSI Gold Box (1980s) 20 29.85%
Since the era of Baldur's Gate (1990s) 19 28.36%
Since the era of Fallout (2000s 7 10.45%
Since the era of Dark Souls (2010s) 0 0%
Since the era of COVID-19 Pandemic (2020s) 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Default How long have you been playing computer RPGs?

November 29th, 2020, 19:19
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I played Adventure on Atari. I still have my old Atari somewhere in basement. Some contractors did some work in my basement a few years ago and one of them asked my wife if she would sell the Atari? She told him not if she wanted to stay married . 1981 or 1982 was when I really started with Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. Whenever Wizardry was released.

a pibbur who was (barely) able to stay on his chair despite significant laughing.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

November 29th, 2020, 19:38
My first contact with a real computer was a Sinclair. Probably a ZX81. At my uncles birthday I was bored to death. He gave me the computer and a handbook. I already knew programmable calculators. At the end of the afternoon I could print my name on the screen in a loop making a zig zag shape.
So my first contact was not gaming - it was programming - I'm still earning my money with it.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 00:00
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
My first contact with a real computer was a Sinclair. Probably a ZX81. At my uncles birthday I was bored to death. He gave me the computer and a handbook. I already knew programmable calculators. At the end of the afternoon I could print my name on the screen in a loop making a zig zag shape.
So my first contact was not gaming - it was programming - I'm still earning my money with it.
That was a very good school indeed, if a bit frustrating when you couldn't load your program back (those tapes!).

I loved the C64 for the hacking possibilities it offered (sprites, sound, memory mapping, ..), but after a while it became so successful with games that I realized I was spending more time playing and copying games than using the other parts of the brain, and sold it So I can imagine one can easily be tempted away from the programming experience at first contact, given the wealth of great games we have today. Not that it won't come later.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 01:16
For me it's early 80s, playing games like the Ultima series on the C64.
My first computer was a ZX81, followed by a Vic 20, but I didn'y play CRPGs on either of those.

Going back even earlier, I played a roguelike of some type on a friend's TRS-80, but that wasn't with regularity so I'm not counting it.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 06:11
I've only been playing them consistently since about 1997 if we're talking about computer RPGs. I've been playing RPGs on consoles since the NES, although I almost never play on consoles nowadays. Of course I played Adventure on the Atari 2600 as well.

My first computer RPG experience of any kind goes back further though. I played Dungeons of Daggorath on a TRS-80 sometime during the mid-80s. I never got very far, but it helped spark my interest in fantasy settings.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 08:23
My first was Ultima 5 (in the early 90s because my family couldn't effort a PC before that). Does that count gold box or BG era?

largh

Sentinel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 08:35
Originally Posted by largh View Post
My first was Ultima 5 (in the early 90s because my family couldn't effort a PC before that). Does that count gold box or BG era?
Gold Box

There should be something in between since Gold Box era ended around 92 and BG didn't start until 98.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 11:08
Seems people got into rpgs a lot earlier than me. I can't remember which was my first serious rpg, but the earliest memories of mine are with Diablo 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 around 1998-1999. I got my first personal pc a lot later than most.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 14:40
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Seems people got into rpgs a lot earlier than me. I can't remember which was my first serious rpg, but the earliest memories of mine are with Diablo 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 around 1998-1999. I got my first personal pc a lot later than most.
The time around 1998-2000 was a golden age of computer gaming for me. With Heroes of Might and Magic 2&3, Baldurs Gate, and Everquest. Best strategy role playing game, top 5 role playing game, and best MMO. I also played a lot of Diablo 2 and Fantasy General at this time.

There are way more choices in games now but the few role playing games released back then were classics.

Mid to late 80's would be my silver age with Might and Magic, Bards Tale, Wasteland, and Dark Heart of Uukrul. That's a close call but I will stick with my choices .
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 16:56
Back when I was a kid, we had a Tandy 1000 at home but it didn't have any rpg. The closest thing, I believe, was '87 Sierra Mother Goose and it was more an adventure game than a rpg.

I got my first "modern" PC in '97. The seller gave me a copy of Diablo 1 with it… the 16 years old kid I was back then loved the game… for a couple of months. But I certainly played it too much. It's repetitiveness, cheating on Battle.net, and gameplay ended boring me to death and I have not seriously played any Arpg since then.

But the first real RPG I bought was Might and Magic VI. Exploring its vast & difficult large sprawling dungeons was quite an experience and the game play was pretty fun.

I also played many low-cost Shareware games, back then. I remember enjoying very much The Aethra Chronicles, Spiderweb Software's Exile serie…

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 30th, 2020, 18:33
In-between two choices in that poll, I started right around 1989/90 which is a fair bit before Baldurs Gate. The poll needs an early 90s era . I started by playing Hero's Quest in 1989 which I guess is an RPG/Adventure game hybrid. Then Betrayal At Krondor, Lands of Lore and Elder Scrolls: Arena. But I selected since the Baldurs Gate era in the poll.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

December 2nd, 2020, 02:59
I don't consider Atari's Adventure (or Venture) an RPG. It was a clone of Collossal Cavern Adventure but it was nothing like it. I did play both Intellivision D&D games and I was impressed with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Treasure of Tarmin for the Intellivision with it's randomly generated 3D maze.
Really it was the shocking large Wizardry 1 that was the game changer followed by Ultima 3 (What is this Ultima 1 and 2 it made you ask). They made anything else like Telengard or the Scott Adams Adventures look downright primitive.
Tunnels of Doom for the TI was good too when I could play it at my friend's place. It took forever to generate the dungeon and save to tape though.
You could really count the number of RPG's on one hand for years though as there just wasn't anything out yet but they were the best games going.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2020, 03:15
Oddly enough, my first CRPG was Wizardry I on the NES, roughly 1990-91.

I got my first PC in 1993, a Packard Bell 486SX. The first game I bought for it was Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness.

ahhhh memories
--
My Backlog
http://www.backloggery.com/mattynoaa

Nephologist

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2020, 04:19
Ultima IV, some time in my sophomore year of high school.

And I have lost many an eighth since.

Are we really 30% from pre-1980 though? I thought I was a comparative oldster, but maybe not!
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2020, 12:20
The poll says : "since the era of Baldur's Gate". according to Wikipedia, BG was published at the very end of the 1990s … I began, however, playing RPGs in the midst of that decade.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

December 2nd, 2020, 16:53
Like a lot of people, Baldur's Gate was what got me interested in computer rpgs. Before that, I think I tried a story based early type of rpg, but it was very primitive and early, and I didn't play it for long. Zork I think it was called.

Of course, when talking about video games in general, I played Pong back when that was "big", and Space Invaders, Galaxia, Asteroids, etc, -- I grew up in the "golden age" of video games and arcades. And playing D&D at lunch time and after school too, in Middle school.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

December 3rd, 2020, 01:19
IIRC, my first RPG was Diablo1 but it's Baldur's Gate 2 that really hooked in me

purpleblob

Mentioned: Post(s)

December 4th, 2020, 09:39
Played some Atari including Adventure, but it all kicked in for on the C64. Impossible Mission etc. It really REALLY kicked in when I played Ultima V.

mbuddha

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

December 4th, 2020, 10:43
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
The poll says : "since the era of Baldur's Gate". according to Wikipedia, BG was published at the very end of the 1990s … I began, however, playing RPGs in the midst of that decade.
Yep, I guess you are then very well represented with my previous comment as well
--
Doing Let's Plays Reviews in English now. Latest Video: Cyberpunk 2077
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

December 4th, 2020, 18:45
I started with blobbers like Dungeon Master I & II and Lands of Lore 1 & 2 (and the Lucas Arts adventures).
But really fell in love with CRPGs with BG I & II.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » How long have you been playing computer RPGs?