D:OS2 Definitive Edition August 31st, 2018!

Divinity: Original Sin 2
D

Deleted member 18181

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition will be completely free to everyone who owns Original Sin 2! Without the support of everyone who bought the game already, and without all the feedback we’ve received from you, we couldn’t have made this new and improved edition of Divinity: Original Sin 2. As a little "thank you" to you all, we’re ensuring you'll get to enjoy all of the improvements without spending a cent more! Because we know some of our will want to still play the original version, both versions will remain available on PC and you'll be able to select which one you want to play.

We don't have the space (and you don't have the time) to go into detail about each of the changes coming to the Definitive Edition, but here are some of the broad strokes you can look forward to:
Narrative

We received some criticism on the last part of the game and so we took that to heart. We had a long look at how we could improve it and came up with quite a list.

Almost 150k words of text have been changed and we've recorded over 130k new words, fixing some voices and text that weren't quite perfect in the original game. We've created new situations and dialogues to give you a greater sense of reactivity across the world, and have bumped up our use of the tag system across most conversations. Finally, we’ve worked on the personal journeys of the origin characters, polishing their quests and situations to better communicate how your decisions impact their story.

Tutorial

Our adventures at PAX showed us that we were giving our players a lot to learn in a very short space of time. To address this, we’ve added a brand new deck at the beginning of the game with its own characters and gameplay and we've worked on the tutorial messaging.

Combat

Combat is an integral part of your adventure in Divinity: Original Sin 2, so we’ve worked on rebalancing some of the fights in the game to make the challenge curve flow better and avoid harsher spikes of difficulty. The overall experience will now be smoother and make you feel like your experience in earlier fights has prepared you for what comes later, while still offering you new challenges. We’ve also added some brand new fights (be careful of Edouard's surprise in Kemm's garden) as well as reworking the Kraken in the Harbour scene. Because we all want to see a showdown with that big, tentacled bully!

Story Mode

If combat is not so much your thing, you can try Story mode. This is a new mode designed for players who want to focus on the dialogue, reactivity and atmosphere in Original Sin 2. It's a more casual difficulty mode that's easier than the existing Explorer mode. You'll be able to switch between Story, Explorer or Classic modes throughout the game, so you can adjust it as you go if you feel a specific battle is too difficult or too easy.

Balance

Here are some specific balance changes you can expect to see in the Definitive Edition:

Economy changes - We’ve updated the prices of many items in the game. Unique items were usually too valuable, while armor prices now better reflect their utility in combat and the cost won’t vary so heavily.
We slightly reduced the damage on some of the three Source point skills. (Skills like Arrow Storm and Meteor Shower will still be super cool, but not an 'I win' button.)
Totems will now gain intelligence as they grow in levels. This will help their damage output scale better towards the end game.
Lone Wolf abilities and attributes will now be capped at the normal cap levels. Currently, Lone Wolves can increase their abilities and attributes past the soft caps of 40 and 10 respectively. In Definitive Edition, this will no longer be possible - you will only be able to double your points to the cap and not beyond.
The Torturer talent will allow you to apply status effects through magic or physical armor.
The difficulty of persuasion encounters across Arx have changed. Most of these encounters were unproportionally hard compared to the result.
We buffed some underused skills. Petrifying Touch, Sucker Punch, and Infect are getting increased damage. Mosquito Swarm will have a shorter cooldown and and Door to Eternity will last longer.
AI will be more likely to attack players with Damage Reduction abilities. These abilities usually resulted in the AI avoiding you rather than ever doing damage to the AI.
High quality wands will create surfaces.

Performance

Working on a console version of Original Sin 2 has allowed the team to strengthen the Divinity engine and improve performance for the Definitive Edition.

We’ve changed our physics engine and new tools have been developed to help test the optimisation of the game. This includes a tool that uses a character model to go through the world of Original Sin 2 line by line, checking for memory usage and fps issues. Since Fane is the character model used by the tool, our Technical Director has started to call him the “Safekeeper of Performance”! (A title Fane doesn't understand, but wholeheartedly accepts.)

Music

Not to be outdone, Bobby and the team have been hard at work on changes for the Definitive Edition too. Origin theme music will play in new parts of the game, so if you’re the Red Prince (for example), you will hear your personal musical theme while on the Lady Vengeance and that theme will develop as you progress through the game! Bobby's team also made plenty of improvements and changes to complement the new writing and rework of Arx too. Don’t forget that the Soundtrack is available in a limited run on 180 gram Vinyl! You can pick up a copy at Black Screen Records here: http://blackscreenrecords.limitedru...v-divinity-original-sin-2-original-soundtrack

Sir Lora, the Squirrel Knight

Of course, not everything in the Definitive Edition is an improvement. There are rumours that an apocalyptic cult of squirrels, the Knights of Drey, are trying to bring about the end of the world by summoning the Great Acorn, which will be the doom of all tall peoples! (Yes, even dwarves.) At least, that's what we've been told by Sir Lora, the Squirrel Knight. The coming of the Acorn was foreshadowed in the original version of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and now it appears to be imminent. Sir Lora arrives with his own small story arc, and will be a mini companion you can recruit in your game. He's there as a pre-order bonus for Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition, but if you own Original Sin 2 on PC before the launch of the Definitive Edition, then you will receive Sir Lora for free as soon as the Definitive Edition goes live!

And much more!

In addition to all the smaller changes not listed here, we have done some significant work on the UI and Journal for the Definitive Edition. The Journal in particular has been no small task, as we’ve completely overhauled the system and re-written huge parts of it to help guide players.

Well, we all knew it was coming, right? Which is why I held off my first playthrough.

Last edited:
Yeah, the whole Larian experience is headed the Bioware route if they continue on this path. I'm hoping for a return to past greatness, but that seems less and less likely with every single passing day.

I asked that recently; the answer I received was unannounced. If they aren't gonna support mac or linux wish they would go ahead and say such.

Yeah, strange. If they honestly don't think it would be financially feasible, I'd accept that. But just leaving us hanging is disappointing.

I lost interest in D:OS 2 about 30hrs in. I might give it another go with the Definitive Edition.

Loved this and consider it among the best coop experiences of all time.

That said, I was ultimately disappointed in the character system and haven't had as much reason to replay it with a different build as I originally expected to have.

This new Edition sounds great and all, but I'm not seeing much evidence of expanding the system or making the system more flexible.

Also, I would definitely prefer a large content drop - like a proper expansion with new acts - but this being free, it's obviously not something to bitch about.

I find the game changes based on your race and/or which premade story character you use so replay has some plus - but there is a hollow area - very big hollow area - in the middle where race/story doesn't of character doesn't seem to matter much.

I find the game changes based on your race and/or which premade story character you use so replay has some plus - but there is a hollow area - very big hollow area - in the middle where race/story doesn't of character doesn't seem to matter much.

I understand. I think it's good in terms of story changes and dialogue variation.

But I'm much more into character builds and experiencing games with new ideas and strategies to handle combat or other conflicts.

It's why I'm such a big fan of the ARPG genre, which is pretty barren when it comes to story.

The character system in DOS2 is great in several ways, but performance is too tied into a "main stat" - meaning you can't really combine, say, magic and physical prowess without entirely gimping yourself. It's a big problem for a game that's otherwise so rich in terms of skill variety.

To be honest, I tend to forget 95% of story in games very, very quickly after I finish them.

Me and two friends completed this game last year - and I'm sure if I went back to it right now, most of the story would be more or less new to me :)

It's a side effect of playing way, way too many games.

I still want a physical specimen for the PC.

LOL, no with "specimen" I mean "a specimen of the game". ;)
And hey, English isn't my first language ! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom