GeForce Now - the next best thing or again another BS? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » GeForce Now - the next best thing or again another BS?

Default GeForce Now - the next best thing or again another BS?

May 16th, 2017, 15:36
http://wccftech.com/every-human-game…y-geforce-now/

GeForce Now was announced as a cloud gaming service for PC & Mac at CES 2017, giving customers access to virtual desktops on NVIDIA servers and thus eliminating the need for a powerful hardware to run games.
While I'm still rolling eyes, there is also an interesting statement coming from nVidia CEO:
During the recent investor Q&A, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang provided an update on GeForce Now. He stated that he believes every human will eventually be a gamer
IMO not gonna happen. At least as long as inferior platforms are choking the industry and as long as nVidia recommends prices too high.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

May 18th, 2017, 04:26
OnLive part 2.

More folks have much higher bandwidth now which will help a lot. But will it be enough folks with enough speed to handle fast refreshing screens at high resolution? And can NVIDIA seed the world with enough data centers to have a high response rate yet still stay profitable?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

May 18th, 2017, 04:41
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
http://wccftech.com/every-human-game…y-geforce-now/IMO not gonna happen. At least as long as inferior platforms are choking the industry and as long as nVidia recommends prices too high.
Makes sense, what will people do when robotics takes over the work force?

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 18th, 2017, 07:08
Oh, yuck. I can see that happening, eventually, but I would want no part of it. I prefer to have my own games on my own machine, and be able to make game adjustments and mods and tweaks, all by myself. I don't want some kind of centralized game server and I have to play their official version of the games. I also think there is more than a whiff of "Big Brother" about this. I'm rather sensitive to that kind of control and prying eyes.

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

February 12th, 2020, 10:31
Tried this since yesterday and im very impressed with it, managed to run some games at max in 1080p that were impossible to play on my pc which is a little bit old. Definitely worth if you dont want to upgrade your pc now. Vey happy since im gonna be able to play Cyberpunk at launch with this hehe.

There is a free trial of 3 months, after that 6e per month.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

February 12th, 2020, 13:37
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
Vey happy since im gonna be able to play Cyberpunk at launch with this hehe.

There is a free trial of 3 months, after that 6e per month.
In other words, wait till CP release then pick the freebie "test"?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 12th, 2020, 17:43
Personally I avoid things/platforms that require cloud usage or online connections, as I often yank the internet plug while I'm playing a game or listening to music. I'll accept being forced to use an online connection to play a game with friends every so often, but I vastly prefer any and all storage devices to be contained within my own personal computer.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

February 12th, 2020, 20:39
I would call it “Stadia but by a company with a clue about gaming” rather than ‘OnLive 2’, because the tech has progressed quite a bit. But … it is still streaming games playing elsewhere, subject to all the issues of streaming video, exacerbated by the expectation of real-time responses.

I have played some of a few games, but will not keep it past the 3 month trial. I am not their target audience.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 13th, 2020, 12:40
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I am not their target audience.
I honestly wonder who their target audience is. I would guess that anyone willing to pay for a video game subscription is already a relatively dedicated gamer who isn't interested in streaming games.
--
Check out Himeko Sutori, the strategy RPG where you command an army of up to 200 unique heroes

Nathaniel3W

Himeko Sutori Developer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 13th, 2020, 14:50
Last evening worked poorly, i guess when the americans wake up it goes to shit. Its nice games from family sharing on steam work as well.
--
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

February 13th, 2020, 14:54
Originally Posted by Nathaniel3W View Post
I honestly wonder who their target audience is.
Same question I had with Google Stadia (and basically the same answer!) … but with Stadia you get frothing-at-the-mouth Google-heads, whereas here you get core gamers who soon realize ‘nothing to see here’.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 13th, 2020, 14:58
Their target audience is everyone who will put all annual expenses on paper and realize it's cheaper to go with that instead of buying a brand new i9 every time Intel pays PCGamer and other shills to advertise it as the best gaming CPU.

Aside from such people, these is the secondary target audience and that's kids who managed getting Nintendo Gameboy and similar rubbish from parents because PC is too expensive. Well now, any cheap PC not ment for gaming really but helped with such a service isn't too expensive.

Their third target audience are early adopters of anything that's new. They'll try it and won't cancel the subscription because it's "the new in" all mainstream media is talking about. Just as happened with VR helmets.

Me? I'm saving $ to buy the new Threadripper. For $4K it can run Crysis. Without GPU.
Just kidding. About saving money for that. Not about AMD - it does what I said.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 13th, 2020, 16:46
I've generally gone intel because of stability. I know we've had this conversation before, but I've never had a game/app fail because of an intel mobo. The same cannot be said for AMD. However, my dataset is now at least a decade out of date. I'd be willing to buy AMD at this point if the savings were significant. I know an i9 is like a $1000 at this point. Crazy for a mobo.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

February 13th, 2020, 17:26
The question is not really intel vs amd…

It's Dell vs nVidia.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 14th, 2020, 13:10
So this is a trade off - for nvidia has we presume the clue on gaming but google has the clue we know on networks. Which do you think is more important to the service ?

Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I would call it “Stadia but by a company with a clue about gaming” rather than ‘OnLive 2’, because the tech has progressed quite a bit. But … it is still streaming games playing elsewhere, subject to all the issues of streaming video, exacerbated by the expectation of real-time responses.

I have played some of a few games, but will not keep it past the 3 month trial. I am not their target audience.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
+1:

February 14th, 2020, 14:01
Originally Posted by you View Post
So this is a trade off - for nvidia has we presume the clue on gaming but google has the clue we know on networks. Which do you think is more important to the service ?
This exactly! All those fancy graphics cards in your server don't mean a thing if your latency is high. Not to mention other network problems. Plus, Google is big enough to purchase any hardware for their servers and hire anyone who can set it up properly so I don't see anything beneficial in "knowing about gaming" here.

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

March 8th, 2020, 14:13
After many game studios withdrew their support to geforce now: 2K, Bethesda en Activision Blizzard. Epic actually stands behind it:
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/s…83717044670467

The battle for gaming services seem to be increasing. Both for cloud gaming, as well as between the various distribution platforms. I wonder where it will end.

btw that first comment of that Twitter thread is harsh.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

March 10th, 2020, 09:03
ubifail too, for the time being haha

https://kotaku.com/what-s-going-on-w…now-1842221576
https://www.reddit.com/r/GeForceNOW/…g_geforce_now/
--
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

June 18th, 2020, 17:44
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce…o-geforce-now/
--
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » GeForce Now - the next best thing or again another BS?