The TV Series discussion thread - Page 260 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

June 22nd, 2020, 06:59
Finished Netflix's Dark Season 2 and immeditaley started to watch The Sinner Season 3. Great performances by Bill Pullman (as Det. Harry Ambrose) and Matt Bomer (as Jamie Burns).
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; June 24th, 2020 at 05:32.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 18:12
Just started watching Derek (2013) on Netflix, not bad at all. I use vpn to unblock netflix and watch my fav tv shows everywhere. That's convy and it doesn't cost much. Never thought it culd be so easy to do.
Last edited by denj; June 26th, 2020 at 12:09.

denj

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 00:41
I just watched the Chuck series for the third time - best TV series ever.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
+1:

June 25th, 2020, 04:50
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
I just watched the Chuck series for the third time - best TV series ever.
Anything with a man they call Jayne is going to be pretty darn good!

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 15:59
Started watching the Russion robot series: "Better than Us." I like it. Was a bit disappointed with the seires being dubbed, but then I found on I could switch to Russian. Much better.

Regarding dubbing - in Norway subtitles is the norm, except for shows for children. So I'm used to subtitles. Seems to me that with a few exceptions dubing is done by 2nd or 3rd grade actors, it sound like they're just reading the dialogue, no feeling. So yes, I prefer the original language over dubbing. Besides, I know around 20 russian words.

Dasvidanya!

a pibbur who may have to take a break from the series when the Dark one arrives.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 16:58
Dubs suck. Always.

Wrote before, I have a dyslectic best friend, if he could learn reading with more effort than I could possibly imagine and has no problems with subtitles, so can anyone else.

Then there is a case where people who watch are hearing impaired. Do they care about dubs or original VO? Or want quality subs.

Not everything is peachy though, subs by fans on legit sites like viki or youtube channels tend not to be always good. Either lines are too long for sakes of precise translation that wasn't necessary or times are too short to read anything.
The same fails you can notice sometimes in official subs on optical media too.

Finally I can't understand imdb allowing originalVO+subs as meritum to score movies/shows, here's one example:
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3605513/?ref_=tt_urv
How did this movie get a high score ?? Its in Korean and movies were you have to read captions make the movie less desirable in my opinion .The name of the movie is in English so one would think its in English right ? If i wanted to read the captions i would get the book . But if it wasn't for that then this movie would be really good .
Whatta joke.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 00:36
The first Mad Max movie was partially dubbed because it is was thought by US studio executives that Gibson’s Australian accent wasn't always understandable.

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 26th, 2020, 15:37
Both my wife and I are ‘essential’ so have been going to work each day (I am working on pharma materials, she is a manager at regional SPCA shelter) so there has been less home binge time than for many folks.

A couple of months ago we found that IMDB TV (through Amazon Prime) was playing ‘Hart to Hart’ season 2. So we watched that. Then they started offering season 1 and we made it most of the way through that before it got pulled at the end of May. Now the Roku Channel has seasons 3 & 4 so we’re working our way through S3 at the moment …

In case you don’t know, it was a 1979-1984 TV series in the US centered around a resell-made rich guy and his successful author wife who are both very adventurous and seem to constantly end up in the center of schemes that involve murders. It is a load of fun … and some of the best of it is the easy natural chemistry between Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers, the character actors, the constantly repeated filming locations (my wife last night “wasn’t that the flower shop a few weeks ago?”), stunt doubles who look nothing like the actors, and more.

It is great ‘comfort viewing’ and a nostalgia trip to when we were teenagers

loading…
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 30th, 2020, 15:00
Hart to Hart was a decent show, I remember watching it when it originally aired. I wasn't someone who watched each and every episode, but the ones I saw I did enjoy. I was likely….too busy being into mischief, or pen and paper gaming back then.

I just finished watching Barkskins, a new show based off the novel, and it was ok. If people weren't so timid it could have been great, and David Thewlis was criminally underused. It won't take up too much of your time, I believe it's only eight episodes, and it's a period piece, so make sure that's of interest before you decide to view or not.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

June 30th, 2020, 18:36
I wrapped up the second season of Altered Carbon a couple days ago. It was disappointing. While the first season had a tinge of a noir detective story that I enjoyed, this second season felt very contrived and I never really made a connection with any of the characters.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

June 30th, 2020, 21:04
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Hart to Hart was a decent show, I remember watching it when it originally aired. I wasn't someone who watched each and every episode, but the ones I saw I did enjoy.
That is really a perfect description - I mean, they only rarely self-reference that every vacation they seem to take ends up involving wild criminal activities and murder and near-death experiences …

We just finished up Sweet Magnolias on Netflix and really enjoyed it. It is a sweet, breezy southern rom-drama centered around three childhood friends all back in their hometown starting a business together in an historic house they inherited. Better than many things on Hallmark Channel … and with an actually diverse cast appropriate to the location (Georgia).
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 2nd, 2020, 22:10
Just started watching Dark season 3. After 3 epsiodes I am pleasantly confused. So yes, I like it a lot. Undubbed version.

In fact, to me, Dark is one of the best TV series I've ever watched, so kudos to the 13th JDR who recommended it to me.

ein Pibbur der Winden gern besuchen möchte, in 32 Jahren. And who is a bit uncertain about his german here.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

July 5th, 2020, 11:12
Twin Peaks S2:E5
Yes, it's slow by today's standards, but the atmosphere, characters, and general "WTF" moments still hold up really well. I'm looking forward to seeing Season 3 for the first time.

denj

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 5th, 2020, 15:12
I finally finished watching all three seasons of Netflix's Dark. Wow, what a ride!!!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

July 5th, 2020, 20:45
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
I finally finished watching all three seasons of Netflix's Dark. Wow, what a ride!!!

I just started season 3 myself. Been looking forward to this for a long time, and so far season 3 is excellent! Certainly one of the best shows on TV right now, at least to me.
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

July 5th, 2020, 21:40
Originally Posted by Ragnaris View Post
I just started season 3 myself. Been looking forward to this for a long time, and so far season 3 is excellent! Certainly one of the best shows on TV right now, at least to me.
I've been rewatching season 2 the last few days. I'm on the last episode now so I'll probably start season 3 tonight.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

July 5th, 2020, 21:58
I've been watching mostly comedies lately (What We Do in the Shadows, Archer, Brooklyn 99) in a conscious attempt to balance out the unremitting horror of our everyday lives, but I've been eyeballing Dark, and after reading this thread, think I may get on that ASAP. I'm also going to watch Devs soon.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

July 5th, 2020, 23:32
What we do in the shadows is so good

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

July 6th, 2020, 03:06
Twin Peaks is some damn fine telly, and they just don't make 'em like that anymore. Any of the series of that show beat current stuff by a country kilometer, and then some. Keep watching the good stuff

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

July 6th, 2020, 09:16
I have the complete Merlin collection and can only agree with everyone else. It's cheesy at times, but always fun and family friendly.

krankins

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread