Pillars of Eternity II - Beast of Winter August 2nd

Me to but where can they go with Pillars of Eternity 3? So far the setting feels done and sales are not that great. I'll put my hopes on their next publisher backed product.

The sales are actually in line with how PoE sold over time, so I don't think that's going to be an issue. (PoE2 has sold 200,000+ in two months; PoE sold 500,000 in five months.) It's a niche product anyway. If they want to expand the market, they'll have to gamble on an AAA-style game in the same setting.

Obsidian Edition w/ all DLC has been available since before launch. I have yet to play the game, but purchased it for $56 off Greenmangaming to support Obsidian so they stay alive long enough to release Project Indiana.

What kind of game Project Indiana will be? A Fallout-Like ? Is there any recent news about that?

The sales are actually in line with how PoE sold over time, so I don't think that's going to be an issue. (PoE2 has sold 200,000+ in two months; PoE sold 500,000 in five months.) It's a niche product anyway. If they want to expand the market, they'll have to gamble on an AAA-style game in the same setting.
Maybe but this type of development plan is not economical feasible. I wonder what their monthly costs are compared to what they take in from crowdfunding and sales?

I'm starting to understand a few key-points of Avellone's rant a few months back. Also before anyone gets all snippy I love their games just making an observation.
What kind of game Project Indiana will be? A Fallout-Like ? Is there any recent news about that?
Not much info is available except it wont have micro-transactions and their publisher.

Link - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-12-14-obsidians-new-rpg-is-being-published-by-take-t
Link - https://www.pcgamesn.com/obsidian-rpg-take-two

At least you started by telling us the good news :)
Wish I had more info but I added two links above.
Obsidian leads Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain, to be precise - reiterate: Nope, no loot boxes, no microtransactions, nothing outside of what you'd expect from an Obsidian RPG, and the publisher are respecting their decisions.

No problem, Couch. I'd rather you have only one good news than a thousand bad ones :D :D :D

Maybe but this type of development plan is not economical feasible. I wonder what their monthly costs are compared to what they take in from crowdfunding and sales?

I'm starting to understand a few key-points of Avellone's rant a few months back.

Well, they were on the edge of going under before PoE came along, so it's hard to say it's hurt them financially. As long as the game production stays in the black, it's at least a source of some funding and may become a training ground for newcomers. Certainly the production pipeline is now be fully developed, so the margins should improve with each release. They may even outsource more and perhaps license the IP.

Well, they were on the edge of going under before PoE came along, so it's hard to say it's hurt them financially. As long as the game production stays in the black, it's at least a source of some funding and may become a training ground for newcomers. Certainly the production pipeline is now be fully developed, so the margins should improve with each release. They may even outsource more and perhaps license the IP.
Makes sense but I wish I could find an older topic I read a few months back about Obsidian worrying about their next game because of funds, and company decisions.

Is this going to be integrated into the main game like White March was, or does it take place post-ending?

Well cant say anything for Spelljammer but a bunch modules have been released for Ravenloft on NeverWinter Nights 1 & NeverWinter Nights 2 over the years.

Yeah, and DDO and Neverwinter Online both have gotten some Ravenloft stuff :)

But I would like a proper singleplayer game in that world. Still.... can't have it all.

I don't get the winter complaints - the entire setting of POE2 was in the southern tropics :p

I guess its PTSD.

Post Traumatic Santa Disorder.

Why rehash old D&D settings that were never that popular anyway? I'd rather see them develop their own, original cultures and settings, free of boat-anchor licensing requirements.

I'm pretty sure Dark Sun and Ravenloft were very popular. Spelljammer, possibly less so. That's my favorite one, though :)

But they don't have to copy them, of course. But, let's be honest here, it's not like PoE doesn't resemble another game we all know about - A LOT :)

I think the entire success of PoE is almost exclusively about their ability to copy and resemble what's already established.

Well, they were on the edge of going under before PoE came along, so it's hard to say it's hurt them financially. As long as the game production stays in the black, it's at least a source of some funding and may become a training ground for newcomers.

They were crowdfunded through figs. There might have been an investment program attached to it.

So sick and tired of snow and ice settings, horned helmets, Ragnarok-crap, etc.

Skyrim sold 74 billion copies, so that's what's going to be the go-to setting for the next decade or so.

Seems like every other RPG these days is set in Nordic/winter worlds… maybe I'm wrong.

Remember Icewind Dale ? ;)

But, well, now here we have the perfect example of how mechanisms in the gaming industry work : Everything went after the "Blizzard Formula", didn't they ? ;)

Now it's the "winter formula", or rather the "Skyrim formula". ;)

And, besides, do you remember how many times I wrote about the sheer ignorance of south american and african themes in RPGs ? Now, here, you have the proof ! ;)

Seems like every other RPG these days is set in Nordic/winter worlds… maybe I'm wrong.

Those who sell maybe. PoE2 was not set in winter worlds. Shows what the audience expects.

Back
Top Bottom