Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
The History of The Last Remnant - Noisy Pixel

This is a pilot episode of a video series that we want to start. Please let us know what you think.
Monster Hunter: World – Assassin’s Creed Collaboration Trailer

My Decision-Packed Return To Final Fantasy XV - Kotaku
I’m excited to see how Final Fantasy XV has matured. I like this game, even its messier debut version, and now I want to give it a second chance. By weaving the new content with the old, I hope I find a marvelous new tapestry to admire.
Next SaGa will have multiple protagonists - Gematsu
The next one will also have multiple protagonists,” Kawazu said in response to a tweet asking for the next game not to have several main characters. “Though I think it will take a different form from SaGa: Scarlet Grace. Please look forward to it. I wonder if it’s OK to say that?
The Future Of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - COG
Monster Hunter fans rejoice! As we begin to near the anniversary of Monster Hunter World, we got a special developer update that gave us a quick outline for upcoming content that will be hitting the game very soon and in 2019. From challenging Monsters and another crossover to the update that many Monster Hunter fans have been waiting for. It is so exciting to take it all in, so let’s cut to the chase.
Top 10 RPGs of 2018 - Gaming Bolt
The genre of role playing games has been one of the pillars holding up the video games industry for as long as anyone can remember, and in all these years, it has never wavered, constantly delivering excellent stories and worlds. 2018 was no different in that regard. This year, we got to play some amazing RPGs, coming from Japanese developers, western developers, and indie developers alike, and a whole lot of these ranked as some of the best games we’ve played all year. Picking out just ten out of all the RPGs we’ve played this year was no easy task, and selecting a winner from those ten was even more difficult, but of course, that is just what we did.
Path of Exile - Reflecting on Past Releases
It's the holiday period in New Zealand, so we don't have any development news to share today. With so many people playing Betrayal, we thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane to examine some of Path of Exile's early releases and some interesting facts related to them. Today we'll discuss the releases from Closed Beta through to Torment and Bloodlines, with the remainder covered in future news posts during the holidays.

Last edited:
Path of Exile - A 2018 Retrospective
It's the start of 2019 here in New Zealand. In addition to wishing the entire community a Happy New Year, we wanted to post our annual retrospective on 2018. Once again, we're proud to announce that we've had the best year to date for both Path of Exile and Grinding Gear Games. Looking ahead, 2019 is already full of plans and ideas that we can't wait to introduce to you. In the meantime, let's take a look back on this year.
Anthem Demo Details
Anthem is a world and story that has lived inside of my heart and mind for a long while. Two and a half years ago, we revealed Anthem at E3. And last night, we finally shared more about our story with a new trailer at The Game Awards. Seeing the amazing reactions was a much needed reminder of why we work so hard.

Speaking of working hard…while a small group of us were in Los Angeles, our
teams back home in Austin and Edmonton were heads down getting ready for our Closed Alpha playtest. There’s been a lot of excitement for it, and I’d like to give everyone a little more context around what we’re doing with this playtest and what a player will experience.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Developer Live Stream

Today at 6pm CET we will start our second Livestream with Tobi & our QA lead Jan Rücker presenting compelling #KingdomComeDeliverance gameplay. Grab some christmas cookies & join us!
Kingdom Come Deliverance Band of Bastards DLC Trailer

Warhorse Studios revealed Information about the Band Of Bastards DLC!
Path of Exile - Reflecting on Past Releases - Part 2
Last week we shared Part 1 of this series, which looked at the development of various releases from Path of Exile's Closed Beta through to the Torment and Bloodlines challenge leagues in late 2014. Today's entry covers the 2015-2016 period from The Awakening through to Breach.

Last edited:
Fans are definetly pleased about this though :D

Last edited:
Space fallout RPG Anority is available for download.

Only the ANDROID version actually.:p
Anority-real-time RPG with turn-based battles, a large open world, non-linear dialogues and quests. As a guide - the classic RPG of the old school.

Supported languages: Czech, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish.

The current version of the prototype is 0.85.

A short plot: in the near future, the Council of Corporations began to manage humanity. There was still a struggle between corporations in an implicit form - espionage, local conflicts.

At the suggestion of the corporation "Ragon", the corporation "S4" began its expansion into the star system of Tau Ceti in order to extract expensive resources from the planets. One of the planets, later named Anority, with conditions suitable for human habitation, was decided to be used as a springboard for further expansion. However, in the process of settling, traces of, at first glance, primitive ancient civilization were discovered. "S4" under the contract allowed the corporation "Ragon" to do research on one of the temple complexes, having built a base in the immediate vicinity. After some time, the corporation "S4" suddenly announced the introduction of quarantine mode on the planet due to the outbreak of neuroinfection, causing significant mutations. According to the regulation of the Council of Corporations on the introduction of quarantine, "Ragon" was ordered to cease operations and leave the planet.
You are a special agent of the division of the corporation "Ragon", which is looking for traces of alien civilizations in order to obtain new technologies. Your mission is to arrive at the "Condirriens" base and urgently explore the temple complex.

Explore the world to find out who you really are, as well as the background to the origin of humanity and its original role.

Big changes are coming to the Fallout 76 - Bethesda
Like our December 11 update, we will have a big update that will address many of the issues you’ve been providing feedback on. Full patch notes will follow soon.We’re also building an incredible list of future updates that we can’t wait to share, including new quests, weekly in-game events, new Vaults opening, a new PvP mode, Player Vending and much more.
Buying the $80 Anthem Edition Will Not Grant You Early Access - Mp1st
While we’ve already seen what’s included in the Legion of Dawn special edition that costs $80, what’s important to note here is what isn’t included. Unlike Battlefield V’s Deluxe edition, players who buy the Legion of Dawn special edition won’t have access to the game five days before it launches globally. The only way to play the full game early is to be a subscriber to Origin Access Premier, which is only available on PC.
Bethesda Announces Lawsuit Over Fallout Shelter Resolved - Sknr
Bethesda has released the following statement showing they have resolved their Lawsuit over the use of Fallout Shelter code in the Westworld Mobile Game.
Upcoming JRPGs Coming in 2019 - Twinfinite
Let’s dive into all the great upcoming JRPGs coming in 2019 that have confirmed release dates for Q1-Q4. After that, we’ll take a look further down the road at upcoming JRPGs that have unconfirmed 2019 release dates.
Longer Games Need To Better Accommodate Players - Fingerguns
First, a confession: I didn’t finish The Witcher 3. In fact, I don’t even think I got half way through it. Don’t get me wrong, I loved what I played of it. Adored it even. Poured at least 20 hours into it – but couldn’t finish it. Reviewing games often means that I have to drop a game I’m playing to focus on another one (in this instance it was Abyss Odyssey and Commander Cherry’s Puzzled Journey) and by the time I have enough time to go back to what I want to play in my own time, I’ve forgotten what I was doing in it or how to play them. I attempted to pick up my save game on Witcher 3 a month or so after I put it to one side and was dead a matter of seconds later, having forgotten how to fight entirely. I tried repeatedly to get the hang of it but fighting mid-game foes with beginner level muscle memory proved to be impossible.
Stardock Selling Star Control: Origins Via Their Site For $20 - Techraptor
The legal troubles surrounding Stardock and its game, Star Control: Origins, hasn’t stopped the company from selling the title, despite a DMCA notice. This DMCA, which was issued on December 31st, 2018, resulted in the game being taken off of Steam and GoG.

This hasn’t stopped Stardock from selling Star Control. Holiday sales are still going on, which means big profit and eager gamers ready to spend some cash. To circumnavigate this DMCA, Stardock is selling Star Control: Origins on their main website. At the time of this writing, it is on sale on Stardock.com and activates on Steam for the lowest price yet of $19.99 for a limited time.

Longer Games Need To Better Accommodate Players - Fingerguns
That guy is a joke, the quote you used made me drop from my chair.
And he's a professional reviewer? No wonder mundane games get 100% all the time.

The Witcher 3 is already accomodated to actual players. There is absolutely no need to accomodate it to shallow reviewers.

I enjoyed Witcher 3 to a point. But then all the Batman Vision™ quests got really tiresome, and too many cutscenes with characters I either didn't care about or actively hated (dandelion…ugh) made me lose interest.

There's a JRPG I played a bit that did a great job giving you a "story so far" update during the loading screens when you loaded an old save. Features like this, quick story summaries and such would be very appreciated and helpful to me, and I'd guess many players. I don't always have time to play, and when putting down an RPG for a week, it's easy to get lost and forget what's going on.

Who the hell is the guy doing the Fallout 76/TES6 video? FFS dude, take an alka-seltzer and blow your nose before making a video! The guy wipes his nose with his hand repeatedly and belches while talking to camera… Gives us gamers the neckbeard reputation! Not to mention he basically reads a press release out loud to camera. Interesting info, but a prime example of why a readable article is usually far superior to a video.

Nothing wrong with a neck beard want a pic of mine. I even wear glasses.:p

Battle Brothers: Beasts & Exploration 1.2.0.22 update
Bugfixes for things reported over the holidays.

Changelog for 1.2.0.22

• Added new 'Hardware Sound' option to audio options menu. This is enabled by default, but can be disabled if you experience any issues with sound such as sound effects missing or playing abnormally quiet/loud. Requires restart of the game to take effect.
  • Changed tools to be available more often and in higher quantities in larger cities and settlements with surrounding manufacturing locations.
  • Fixed Kraken head not showing properly on its assigned tile in some cases.
  • Fixed combat between AI parties on the worldmap not resolving in some cases.
  • Fixed characters not deserting the player when they should.
  • Fixed news about conquered towns and random events sometimes not firing during civil war late game crisis. You may get spammed a bit with events upon loading an existing save until the event queue is unclogged.
  • Fixed Potion of Oblivion not properly removing skills and effects gained from perks.
  • Fixed combat freezing on AI turn under specific circumstances.
  • Fixed issue with 'The enemy is retreating' dialog sometimes awkwardly appearing when the next round has already started.
  • Fixed various minor issues.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Livestream Interview Recap - Gamasutra
With the success of XCOM's relaunch back in 2012, a number of game developers have been looking to take their own stab at the turn-based strategy formula, resulting in the surprising success of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle in 2017, and in 2018, the release of Mutant: Year Zero right before the holidays kicked off.

Thanks in no part to a foul-mouthed talking duck, Mutant: Year Zero has managed to find an audience and a strong niche in the strategy game space, showing how even a stripped-back version of XCOM can do well with the right tone and sense of polish. We've been enjoying the game over at Gamasutra, and were excited a few weeks back when game director Lee Varley, designer and studio founder David Skarin, and lead animator Calle Granstrom took the time to talk about their work over on the GDC Twitch channel.

There were a few key insights from the trio about Mutant Year Zero's design and game balance, so we took the time to collect a (lightly edited) transcription of their most salient points. Read on for a look at how a bunch of Hitman veterans managed to make their own strategy game.

Anthem: 15 Minutes of Lost Arcanist Gameplay - IGN First

The entire Lost Arcanist mission from start to finish with a three man team of the Interceptor, Storm, and Colossus javelins.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - The Forgotten Sanctum DLC Reviews

BigRedBarrel - 5/5
Whether you purchased The Forgotten Sanctum on its own for $10 or as part of the Season Pass it is worth every dollar. The new gear, potions, and spells you acquire can be carried over into the main campaign. The dungeon is well crafted, the story is engaging and the cast of characters are memorable. The archmage Tayn made me laugh a number of times and it was nice to see the game show a little love for Fassina. Oh and don’t forget to bring your pet Nemnok along. He never ceases to entertain. It was a joy to have one last adventure with my party. The DLC offers up some tough challenges and memorable moments. I did not encounter any game breaking bugs or broken quests. The battle with the final boss and the resolution of the Forgotten Sanctum story did feel a bit anticlimactic though. The DLC felt like it could have been a large, proper expansion or even its own game instead of just a short 10 hour dungeon. That said I had a lot of fun and I’m glad the last hurrah for isometric RPGs from Obsidian turned out to be so great.
Cubed3 - 8/10
Amongst Deadfire's three DLCs, The Forgotten Sanctum is probably the best, as it understands the strengths of the core game much better, with a greater balance between battles, storytelling, and role-playing.
Gaming Historia - 8.5/10
I love the story-based DLC’s like this because they really allow you to get into the meat of whatever subject Obsidian throws at you. The Forgotten Sanctum is another example of why I love this franchise so much. There is a living, breathing world, full of mysteries and unseen secrets that Obsidian slowly unveils for the players.

If you like the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire experience so far, then this is more of what you’ll love. None of the DLC they have released is as intensive as the White March DLC Expansions from the first game, but there is a lot to love here. I don’t know if we will ever see more Pillars of Eternity content after the Microsoft acquisition of Obsidian, but this is a great sendoff.
TechQuila - 3.5/5
All in all, the final DLC beings Pillars of Eternity II to a rather underwhelming end. It is different from the rest of the game. Deadfire had lots of open environments and somewhat lacked in dungeons. The Forgotten Sanctum seems to make up for it, but the execution is flawed. Unlike The Beast of Winter DLC, it has a fairly limited exploration potential and doesn't add anything significant to the lore and story. Regardless, the staples of the game like challenging boss fights, plenty of equipment and a new subclass make it a worthwhile experience.
RPG Site - 8/10
All in all, The Forgotten Sanctum is a strong way for Deadfire, and possibility Pillars of Eternity in general, to end-- at least for the moment. It lacks a certain level of gravitas that perhaps would usually be expected out of a proper conclusion, but its strengths lie in the same places that Deadfires' always have - motivated character writing, a solid sense of cohesion between gameplay mechanics and narrative, and the events within hold proper sense of significance as part of the world put forth. Fans of Deadfire who have been let down by lackluster additions so far should definitely not let that steer them away from this final entry.

That guy is a joke, the quote you used made me drop from my chair.
And he's a professional reviewer? No wonder mundane games get 100% all the time.

The Witcher 3 is already accomodated to actual players. There is absolutely no need to accomodate it to shallow reviewers.

I don't think his point is about difficulty or challenge, but about duration.

And frankly with all the weak fillers, and the absurd duration to reach the end, The Witcher 3 is a good example. But that's the fate of those huge open RPG, that is have ton of weak to bad fillers.

Where Bethesda is smarter it's they put more work on other aspects than main game flow and main story to try fill the world, even if they fill it even more badly than TW3.

How TW3 is done, even many secondary quests will feel like part of main thread, and the main thread is an awful long linear series, hence a minimal play duration a lot too high.

Kingdom Come Deliverance Band of Bastards First 30+ Minutes of Dev Gameplay

Obsidian "Private Division Has Been Wonderful"- wccftech
Tim Cain: They’ve been wonderful. Everybody there understands what we’re trying to make and they help us do that. They have this QA team who we’ve been sending game drops to along with test planets because this game has a lot of ways you can play it. And they’ve been really good at testing all the different paths and coming back and telling us what worked and what didn’t.

Leonard Boyarsky: It’s been great. Sometimes when you’re dealing with third parties and other publishers, they see something in your game that’s not the game you’re making, and they want to take a different direction. But Private Division really seemed to grasp what we wanted to do and were very excited about it.
Best Game Nobody Played in 2018 according to vgchartz - Valkyria Chronicles 4
The long-awaited fourth game in the Valkyria Chronicles series finally came out in 2018, and proved to be a critical success on par with the first game in the franchise. However, sales have not matched those of the earlier games in the series, and are seemingly tracking well below expectations, especially for such a well received title. Of course, it's still possible that Valkyria Chronicles 4 proves to be a success in the long run, but as of right now it definitely deserves to have sold more than it has.

In fact, every single one of these four titles is worth playing and it's a shame more people haven't yet experienced them. If that includes you, consider giving one or more of them a chance at some point. Valkyria Chronicles 4, as the winner of this year's Best Game Nobody Played Award, is a great place to start.

Back
Top Bottom