The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

OK, new post for some "new" tunes. Binary Finary reminded me of these nice trance classics from 1999'ish. My picks in bold, most favorite in bold-ital.

This one is like 1999, electro trancey beep bop, another from Hooj Choons.
Cafe del Mar - Energy 52

Rather hymnal with the vocal mid track, long hypnotic lead up and break down. From the wonderful Xtravaganza label.
Chicane - Saltwater (Original Mix)
This remix is a bit harder and more driving, getting to the hymnal bits earlier, and has a wider, bigger sound.
Chicane - Saltwater (Tomski vs. Disco Citizens Remix)
Harder still and more driving.
Chicane - Saltwater (Thrillseekers Remix)

On a Chicane roll. This is one my favorites with the piano + string cadences. More of a song and more lyrics.
Chicane - Strong in Love (Original Mix)
Less atmospheric but still has sections, but more bubbly and electronic.
Chicane - Strong In Love (Disco Citizens Remix)

And probably Chicane's most famous and recognizable track. Nice piano throughout and a chill little back beat. Atmospheric to the max. From 1996.
Chicane - Offshore (Original Mix)
and a more driving, less chill and more straightforward mix, with a very lovely outtro
Chicane - Offshore (Disco Citizens Remix)

Finally, a song with Bryan Adams vocals. More of a prog house flavor here, but still trance mostly.
Chicane - Don't Give Up Up (Original Mix)
This version is faster and more trance, less prog. Also the chorus is sampled. No verse.
Chicane - Don't Give Up (Disco Citizens Vs. Tomski Remix)

That's it…

Last edited:
88-94 was such a rich era for music, the likes of Fool's Gold and Loaded are more like anthems of an era than simple pop songs. As soon as they start I'm back in the mind-set :)

Yep, they really do act like a brain time machine don't they? Digging up these old tracks I haven't listened to since then has the effect.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Chicane is great! All sweet mixes. Offshore is my favorite,or...or maybe Salwater, yeah. Wait! Offshore-no. I like both them equally. :)

I would add Chicane-Love On The Run , it's a nice little easy going track.

Surely you know this one Thrasher, Members of Mayday-Sonic Empire 1997 , it was so easy to like this track, and still is today. Very good.

Brooklyn Bounce-Take A Ride (1997) , I liked them because of the dark theme music and vibe they had, but then changed latter on.
2 Unlimited-The Real Thing (1994) , still loving this one :)

And as Scooter is known more as a Rave group, they had some very Trancy music. And this one proves it.
Scooter-Like Hypa Said
And this one Scooter-Chinese Whispers

One more worth mentioning, Imperio-Atlantis (1996), with it's nice piano melody.

More, did someone ask for more? ;)

OK, here is another classic from the period and Hooj Toons, 1993.
It's a bit of a hybrid before there were categories. I love the techno rhythm, floaty organ breaks, and the trancey sections, and great vocals. This one takes me back…
The Source - Sanctuary of Love

A new find for me from 1995
This one is trance with some nice progressive percussion and grooves. Kind of dumb vocal samples but soothing.
Solar Stone - Green Light (Original Mix)

Last edited:
Chicane is great! All sweet mixes. Offshore is my favorite,or…or maybe Salwater, yeah. Wait! Offshore-no. I like both them equally. :)

I would add Chicane-Love On The Run , it's a nice little easy going track.

Yes, that's a very nice one too! Thanks! I like the full length: Chicane - Love On The Run (Original Mix) also this mix is a bit of a cool journey Chicane - Love On the Run (Force Five Remix)
Surely you know this one Thrasher, Members of Mayday-Sonic Empire 1997 , it was so easy to like this track, and still is today. Very good.

Nice and new to me. :)
Brooklyn Bounce-Take A Ride (1997) , I liked them because of the dark theme music and vibe they had, but then changed latter on.

Also new for me. Thanks!
Ha! I remember them for this. But not sure I can listen to it anymore. Techno rap hasn't aged so well…. It's probably the rap that hurts. :/ ;)
2 UNLIMITED - Get Ready For This
These are more palatable, I suppose. :)
2 Unlimited - Twilight Zone
2 Unlimited - No Limit (1993)
And as Scooter is known more as a Rave group, they had some very Trancy music. And this one proves it.
Scooter-Like Hypa Said
And this one Scooter-Chinese Whispers
Yep, definitely trance, in hard techno style, with some rap thrown in.
One more worth mentioning, Imperio-Atlantis (1996), with it's nice piano melody.
Cool piano trance! That's new for me.

More 90's trance deja vu

Another fantastic Chicane track
Chicane - Sunstroke (Disco Citizens (On the Train Remix))

One of my favorite remixers, whose work while not always consistent sometimes soared. Their only single, a pounding vocal trancer.
Trouser Enthusiasts - Sweet Release (Trouser Enthusiasts Full On Mix)
and the more instrumental version
Trouser Enthusiasts - Sweet Release (Trouser Enthusiasts' 2nd Coming)

Along the same lines. Harder vocal trance.
Prima - Into The Sun (Trouser Enthusiasts Resurrection Mix)

More vocal hard trancing with the Enthusiasts. An extravagant 10 min plus mix. One of the best vocals they remixed.
Peach - Sorrow Town (Trouser Enthusiasts Teenage Abattoir Mix)

This one I just rediscovered. Amazing vocal on nice progressive trance / house piano work.
Anggun - Snow on the Sahara (Nikolas and Sibley Remix)

And this is a harder squiggly trance yet, with nice atmospheric breaks and a great vocal. Stomper. Turns into a sweeter song once the full chorus kicks in. Nice.
Sunscreem - Catch (Red Jerry Mix)

And now for the pièce de résistance. Something even Pibbur could appreciate. Another squiggly harder vocal trancer from the Trousers. I actually saw her perform this live in Sydney. A highlight. Loved it. Scary, ehhh?
Dannii - Everything I Wanted (Trouser Enthusiasts' Golden Delicious Mix)

Now another afternoon wasted. That's it for this week. :/

Last edited:
Alright, I apparently have no willpower left. This is probably my most favorite trance from the era (1990-200). The vocal and instruments and atmosphere, just about perfect. Lots of depth and little details in the background of this one. Headphones required.

Tomski featuring Jan Johnston - Love Will Come (Original Vocal Mix)

Another great Tomski track plus a couple of fun remixes.
Tomski - 14 Hours to Save the Earth (Rocket Ajax Mix)
Tomski - 14 Hours to Save the Earth (Rebel Transcanner Mix)
Tomski - 14 Hours to Save the Earth (Trouser Enthusiasts 12" Sci-Fi Mix)

And another classic from the period. Harder trance with piano. Perhaps a bit more obvious. And a bit more crazy.
Airscape - L'Esperanza (Armin Van Buuren's Rising Star Mix)
Not to forget Tiesto back when… Nice and chunky.
Airscape - L'Esperanza (DJ Tiesto Remix)
This remix is just as good as is the original. Hard to pick a favorite among all 4.
Airscape - L'Esperanza (Svenson Goes To The Loveparade Mix)
Airscape - L'Esperanza (Original Mix)

Last edited:
I can't help but perceive an alarming increase in the presence of techno/trance music in this thread. As such, I feel the strong urge to provide some balance :D.

Yesterday evening, I went to see Mozart's Die Zauberflöte so it would be fitting to provide a link to an extract of that particular work. A very famous aria is Der Hölle Rache, which happens to be very difficult to sing.

I like the Trousers Enthusiasts style.
I found this nice too. Dannii - Heaven Can Wait (Trouser Enthusiasts' Cloud Nine Mix)

I think I'll go with the original Airscape-L' Esperanza. That one has been remixed too many times.

Just to add to euphoria a little bit.
The legendary Push-Strange World and The Legacy. Top Trance right there.

I always liked and still do a music with a message embedded within, so it somehow added even more to it's quality. Along with a nice video to make that massage stronger.
For example Mario Lopez-The Sound of Nature and The Sound Of Nature Part 2
Mostly this one Kai Tracid-Conscious

So, hence the name conscious Trance, you can't really find these kin of music these days. I mean there are, just, too little.
Kai Tracid-Contemplate The Reason You Exist
Blank & Jones Feat. Anne Clark-The Hardest Heart

And to finish off with this nice atmospheric gem Atlantis-Fiji 1998 , and it's remix Atlantis Vs Avatar - Fiji (Lange Remix) (2000)
I like the remix a little bit more. :)

Yesterday evening, I went to see Mozart's Die Zauberflöte so it would be fitting to provide a link to an extract of that particular work. A very famous aria is Der Hölle Rache, which happens to be very difficult to sing.

Nice balancing act there. :)
I like the Trousers Enthusiasts style.
I found this nice too. Dannii - Heaven Can Wait (Trouser Enthusiasts' Cloud Nine Mix)

Yes, another fantastic track by them. Great find!
Just to add to euphoria a little bit.
The legendary Push-Strange World and The Legacy. Top Trance right there
Good harder driving stuff. Always liked Push.
Agreed. :)

Very cool. Reminds me a bit of this. At least the piano parts.
Hans Zimmer - Time (Inception)
Anne Clark. Well here is another by her that I still like from the 80's. Definitely trancey sounding in the background.
Anne Clark - Our Darkness (Remix)
And to finish off with this nice atmospheric gem Atlantis-Fiji 1998 , and it's remix Atlantis Vs Avatar - Fiji (Lange Remix) (2000)
I like the remix a little bit more. :)
Me too. It's a keeper. :)

Here's another Trouser remix, this one's a very atmospheric piano trance classic.
Loveclub - The Journey (Trouser Enthusiasts Remix)
A not to be missed vocal stormer with some long build ups and downs.
Prima - Into The Sun (Trouser Enthusiasts Resurrection Mix)

More old connectons being revived.

Here's an odd one I still like, trancey with a heavenly vocal.
Libra Presents Taylor ‎– Anomaly - Calling Your Name (Granny's Epicure Remix)

and another great Chicane track with vocals
Chicane - Lost You Somewhere (Original Version)

Last edited:
There was another DJ' I have been trying to remember forever and can't seem to find them in them in all my power of google.

The album cover was a GTO(I do believe) where the trunk lifted up and speakers dropped down.

Hmm, you got me. I always found my records on my own, using periodicals, and pretty much ignored most of the big DJ names (and their mix CDs), the exception being Perfecto/Fluoro and Oakenfold compilations/mix CDs. By then I had run out time to shop all the time.

Last edited:
Hmm, you got me. I always found my records on my own, using periodicals, and pretty much ignored most of the big DJ names.

Wasn't a big name I don't believe, a lot of what I bought or listen was what I found in strange places.

If we are talking about Trance to me DJ Scott Stubs and his progression of trace was some of my fav in the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2aUwwOmRko

The Platypus label (along with Hooj Choons, and Xtravaganza and Perfecto/Fluoro) released most of my trance favorites, so that collection hits a quite a few. Nice. I may even have it stashed away somewhere, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
The Platypus label (along with Hooj Chons, and Xtravaganza) released most of my trance favorites, so that collection hits a quite a few. Nice.

Thee was a label that released shows from clubs in the UK on CD back in the day that I would pick up. I found a lot of great music that way.

Back
Top Bottom