Do you Prefer Voice Acting or Text in RPGs?

Do you Prefer Voice Acting or Text in RPGs?

• Voice Acting

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Text Only

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Both Voice & Text

Votes: 46 73.0%

• Total voters
What is wrong with you people?

We just had a discussion about this on roll20. The consensus was that people cannot do one thing at a time. They need to watch videos of cats while they play an rpg.

Don't know about us, but I think I know whats wrong with you...
You can't read and think at the same time either. I mean resurrecting a thread from 2015 to comment that you "just discussed" something is pretty funny.

Maybe if we had someone voice over the name of the thread and the date it would help?

I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't vote in the poll before... :)

I prefer both voices and subtitles on. I always enable subtitle whenever possible. Sometimes I just can't understand what is being said, sometimes a character speaks too fast, and I also enable subtitles as another way to better learn English language. :)

I'm one of the twelve people who voted for voice acting on this one.

One of the first things I do when I start a new game is open up the settings and turn subtitles off. It actually annoys me if they make me see an opening cutscene with subtitles on before I'm allowed to turn them off. You're trying to immerse me in your world - don't put words in front of your graphics if you're saying the words anyway.

I do agree that when voice acting first became a thing I can see more people preferring text as it meant a lot less dialogue, but I don't see that as much of an issue anymore

If its a bit AAA action rpg with cut scenes etc, then I don't like subtitles. I also like a silent protagonist, but that's a different story.

If its an indie rpg (or story heavy or isometric) then I much prefer text-only. I find VO often gets in the way of me enjoying the game.

Seems I voted here. 2 years ago.

And I want subtitles. All the time and everywhere, even if it's just transcript of the spoken language.

I've actually changed my opinion slightly - in that, these days, I prefer no subtitles with voice acting - because it helps my immersion a lot when I don't have text available. I'm a fast reader, and my eyes automatically read ahead. It's really quite a challenge for me NOT to look at subtitles.

However, it depends on the presentation. If it's top-down isometric with a LOT of speech - then subtitles are needed so I can keep proper track of what I'm supposed to be hearing ;)

Back
Top Bottom