Bards Tale Remastered BETA available!!!

bjon045

SasqWatch
Thanks for the heads-up on this Bjon, I just had a quick look this evening. It's really nice to see the progress that has been made by Rebecca and her team so far.

It'd been so many years since I played, that'd I'd forgotten the correct keys for altering the speed of combat. On the C64 version it was cursor shift/arrow, but for the Apple II and PC versions, it is simply the arrow keys.

The auto-map is indeed a welcome addition though I can still remember my way reasonably well funnily enough, at least around Skara Brae. No doubt the dungeons will be different. I never beat the PC version, so I'm very tempted to make a brand new party and start all over again. :)

The only minor bug or oddity I found in my brief test was during character creation - it says "ESC to reroll" yet it didn't appear to be functioning. It'll be amazing once they're finished; hopefully player feedback is positive and assists in this goal.

Edit:
Another observation is that random encounters during the day in Skara Brae appear to have been toned down significantly. This is probably a good thing for newer players. Although, one of my earliest memories of playing on the C64 version was the fear of being caught by monsters weak and weary from a dungeon run, creeping all the way back to the Adventurer's Guild! :)

Last edited:
I can't wait for the official game to be released. I am very eager to play the 3 Bard's Tale games because I love dungeon-crawlers and they really seem to be right up my alley.

Thanks for pointing this out. Kickstarter-related stuff seems to get lost in the chaos in my emails.

Also, it reminded me to check my unclaimed rewards, where there was a free GOG copy of Wasteland 2 waiting for me. (I already have it on Steam, but wanted a GOG version)

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up. I haven't played this in decades and I never really got that far with it first time around. I'm hoping to get some long nights of gaming with this remaster.

Another observation is that random encounters during the day in Skara Brae appear to have been toned down significantly. This is probably a good thing for newer players. Although, one of my earliest memories of playing on the C64 version was the fear of being caught by monsters weak and weary from a dungeon run, creeping all the way back to the Adventurer's Guild! :)

Yeah, that's pretty much my sole recollection of it - getting consistently slaughtered in Skara Brae by random encounters! I'm hoping I've improved a bit as a gamer since then, but I'll probably find I haven't.

Back
Top Bottom