Memorable game soundtracks!

InXile has been doing a great job in the music department. The Bard's Tale IV's soundtrack was widely praised, and one of my favorite things about Wasteland 3 are the unique songs that often accompany important fights.

Tetris:
And as third one: Tetris. Yeah. Not the funny Nintendo one, but the very dark C64 version by Wally Beben, remixed.

Great soundtrack, but if you allow me, I still prefer the original Tetris Arcade soundtrack. :)

Another great soundtrack not yet mentioned is Street Fighter II, which I prefer the SNES version to the Arcade one. My favored themes are Vega's (by far), Guile's and Ken's.

Last edited:
I still prefer the C64 one. But I also didn't even know the arcade soundtrack. ^^

Another game never played, but where I love the soundtrack is Homeworld.
It just has this super dark and calm atmosphere which still has some speed behind it.

So many :D

Civ3 was very interesting and this piece is a rare for gaming example of quality indigenous inspired South American sounds:

I'll post some other choices later when I've had more time to relisten to stuff.

The title theme of The Secxret Of Monkey Island.

And the whole Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis soundtrack. Sometimes, a few tunes from that suddenly reappear in my mind again.

The Tropico 1 soundtrack.

Not an RPG, but my favorite game soundtrack is probably that of Stellaris: sweeping, hauntingly beautiful synth tracks.

Many are already added, I'll put those that everyone forgot. Just some, there are much more worth adding of course which I'll leave for others to add (any Yakuza, Anachronox, etc).
You'll notice that I don't shill for just one style. I've tried to cover everything.

--------------------------------------------

Grandia 2:

Pathfinder Kingmaker:

King's Bounty 3:

Fallout2:

ToCS2:

ToCS3:

DA:I:

ME2:

FF15:

VC4:

Pretty cool. I really need to get around to playing that one of these days. It's been in my backlog forever.

Off Topic regarding Subnautica, but I wonder if you'll like it. It did nothing for me. A big reason, was the movement speed is pretty slow and I'm just not a fan of underwater environments most of the time.

However, it is consistently praised by people who love to build big bases.

The Soundtrack is very good though. Unlike the game, I've spent several hours with the music tracks.

Another post because the above one I did doesn't contain some styles: suspensful (intermezzo), latino, middleages, k-pop and (quasi)worldmusic. Just one example for each.

AC Rogue:

Expeditions Conquistador:

Sims Medieval:

LoL:

Civ4:

Last edited:
King's Bounty 3:
King's Bounty: The Legend - Under the Shadow of the Oak. The entire soundtrack was great, but this song gave me pause and made me lay down my weapons and lust for treasure in order to simply enjoy the beautiful scenery and reminisce about the past. Utterly enchanting and pure bliss.

Since I love it so much I had to hunt down the lyrics.

Ветер с ветвей сорвёт,
Вдаль листья унесёт,
Развеет над землёй.
Кто в Душе – с весной –
В Древе Жизни вечность обретёт…
В Древе Жизни вечность обретёт…

Yeah … anyone speak Russian? Google translate gives us this:

The wind will rip from the branches
In the distance the leaves will carry away
Will blow over the ground.
Who is in the Soul - with spring -
In the Tree of Life, eternity will find …
In the Tree of Life, eternity will find …

Last edited:
Sorry, linking all the memorable scores every videogame has would be kinda…
A material for wikipedia? :)

There are just too many, so I've opted to show there is no safebet recipe that turned the music industry into decadent garbage.
It's the imagination of a composer that makes "godlike" videogame music and we got lucky as it still isn't totally dumbed down.

Yeah, lots of great recommendations here. Regarding Civ 3 @lackblogger; , there is also a great track for native americans in Civ 5

Fallout and Stellaris also had epic soundtracks ofc.

Expeditions Conquistador was also mentioned @joxer; - my favorite of that one is this one though which reminds me of "Running up that hill" in the placebo version.

Sorry, linking all the memorable scores every videogame has would be kinda… A material for wikipedia? :) There are just too many

Yes indeed. I always posted under the rules that you couldn't post more than 5 pieces of media in any one post, so your 21 piece wall of youtube earlier took me be surprise. I guess the rules have changed.

And this always happens with these kind of threads, there's just too much for anyone to listen to everything and by page 4 pages 2-3 probably only get one view in 100 lurkers, and so the pattern would stay, effectively making it a new 'currently listening thread', with only one caveat of it having to be computer game tunes rather than general music.

These threads are always fun and popular, but I do so wish OPs would try to make the criteria a lot more defined, as several threads managing specific subcategories are so much more useful and user-friendly in the long-term.

Maybe a thread for Jeremy Soul adoration, another for quality generic fantasy and yet another still for guilty pleasure generic fantasy, another for experimental/original fantasy, another for 8-bit fantasy, another for all again but post-apoc, another again for all again but space settings, another for general medieval, another for classical history era, another for... you get the idea.

I thought it's no more than 5 per game. Sorry. :(

Following on from my previous post, I always like it when some nice Arabian inspired music comes on, it always has a very easy-on-the-ear ambient quality that suits the computer gaming mindset IMO.

This one is very similar in style to the one from civ 3 but with an Arabian twist:

And although I didn't particularly enjoy Anno 1404, the music was very nice indeed and that one had lots of Arabian inspired sounds as well:

And not forgetting Medieval Total War's Arabian Themes, of course:

I'll keep posting some of the best (IMHO) arcade soundtracks. No, I never was an "arcade maniac" or whatever but I've had my fair share with them when I was younger :)

• Gyruss and its unforgettable theme song, based upon J. S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor:

• New Rally-X:

• Double Dragon:

• Commando:

• Last, but not least, Ghosts'N Goblins main theme:

Regarding Ghosts'N Goblins, I found the YT video below years ago which shows the Theme of Arthur across a lot (if not all) of its games. I didn't even know there were a lot of Ghosts'N Goblins games around :)

Back
Top Bottom