Do you use Patreon (2020 edition)

Odd take. So if you consume and enjoy the content, it feels "wrong" to pay for it provided someone else is already doing so?

I'll try applying that to other things in my life. "Sorry, Mr. ticket taker, those other people already paid and the movie was already made, so I would feel wrong to pay for it."

It's not that. It's just it's usually money "on the side", while they already have full paying jobs, or sell their productions otherwise. Not everyone does, but for example, I work as digital artist, it would be wrong of me to stream or post part of my job to get money on the side from patreon patrons, while I have my salary, my yearly bonuses and healthcare, benefits, etc from my contractors and government.

If you are a freelancer I understand you want to get every bit of cash you can get, but still it rubs me wrong. I'm sure Patreon helps a lot of people to get out content that would not be possible without, but more often than not, it's an extra cashgrab for something they're already doing and being paid for.

I did for a short while for a mod author I liked. Right now the only one I do is for an artist out of Taiwan that I really like who draws amazing artwork, mostly fantasy.

None.
I give small amounts here and there to charity: SPCA, Make A Wish, etc. If I could afford to waste money on Patreon, I think I'd rather just give more to local causes. I feel bad enough about all the money I waste in computer games that I don't get around to playing.

I'm sure Patreon helps a lot of people to get out content that would not be possible without, but more often than not, it's an extra cashgrab for something they're already doing and being paid for.

I think that is the point of contention for several of us - in some areas (and you certainly know digital art more than the zero knowledge I have) it is very likely true, but for the artists I support they might have lessons or merch or perform live shows or whatever ... but in terms of the theory and analysis they do, it is all pretty much directly funding creative content generation.

Back
Top Bottom