ELEX - More Reviews - Page 6 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ELEX - More Reviews

Default ELEX - More Reviews

November 14th, 2017, 16:04
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I haven't been quite myself lately
Pardon me but the eyebrow raised here was an uncontrollable reflex.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
+1:

November 14th, 2017, 16:04
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
It definitely has a steeper curve. I even mention it in my review. There are two main differences:
1) It takes longer to grow in power
2) Shadowbeasts, Orcs and such exist in the world and can be encountered at low levels, but the player is never tasked with killing them at that point. The quests that involve such creatures are only handed out later on.

I don't mind it, but I can see how it can appear frustrating or confusing, especially since Risen 3 was very easy by PBs standards. In fact, they seem to have listened to the feedback and gone completely the other way.
I'm glad to hear I wasn't imagining things

I think you guys know I'm not squeamish about being challenged - but there has to be some kind of design paradigm behind it that I can recognise as being better for the game.

In this case, I think they went too far - especially if you like to optimise your build towards something other than melee combat.

Certainly, I found no other way to deal with enemies than simply fleeing.

Now, I could get behind that if that was for "tough" enemies - like the case was in Risen/Gothic. Once you figured out the harsh nature of the early PB games, it became pretty evident when you stood a chance and when you should simply run away.

But when even the weakest enemies present all but impossible challenges until quite a ways into the game, something is off in my view.

NewDArt

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 14th, 2017, 16:09
The weakest enemies can be killed at the start. Runt critters, runt biters, clumsy rotboars, etc..

Jax had all ELEX removed suddenly so he lost all his power. Typical PB start with the main difference being there is a much wider variety of walking death on Magalan.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

November 14th, 2017, 16:12
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
The weakest enemies can be killed at the start. Runt critters, runt biters, clumsy rotboars, etc..

Jax had all ELEX removed suddenly so he lost all his power. Typical PB start with the main difference being there is a much wider variety of walking death on Magalan.
It makes no difference when there are still entry-level creatures all around that you can't defeat without cheesing it.

It's also really jarring that you can kill a few enemies with total ease - and in the very same beginner area, you get your ass handed to you by another without warning.

I'm not saying you can't make a case for why I'm killed constantly in terms of lore, I'm just saying it feels off to me. It's not good design.

I'm all for the rags to riches experience of PB games - and I love the sensation of satisfying progression.

But delaying my ability to kill entry level creatures for 10+ hours seems senseless to me.

The end result is that the pleasure of progression is pointlessly delayed for a good amount of hours - instead of starting from the initial stages. Again, that's what PB games have always been about, to me.

But we all enjoy different things. It's all good.

I'm sure the rest of the game will be worth the frustration.

NewDArt

SasqWatch

November 14th, 2017, 16:20
Yeah, the game is definitely worth sticking with. I'm enjoying it more than any RPG since Skyrim released in 2011.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

November 14th, 2017, 16:22
Yeah, the game is definitely worth sticking with. I'm enjoying it more than any RPG since Skyrim released in 2011.
Sounds good. The sense I'm getting is that the majority of PB fans consider it the best PB game since Gothic 2 - which is saying something.

I can't wait until I have enough time to devote to it.

NewDArt

SasqWatch

+1:

November 14th, 2017, 16:42
What I dislike most in the game is that I can't make my own character and the character PB chose. Once again we play a character that is really weak considering his background. Just like G2 and G3 as well as Witcher 3.

souha13

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 14th, 2017, 20:15
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
2) Shadowbeasts, Orcs and such exist in the world and can be encountered at low levels, but the player is never tasked with killing them at that point. The quests that involve such creatures are only handed out later on.
True for the most part, but there are some exceptions. There's a quest involving the recruitment of a certain companion that I thought was very poorly balanced.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

November 14th, 2017, 20:20
It's also really jarring that you can kill a few enemies with total ease - and in the very same beginner area, you get your ass handed to you by another without warning.
Just like some of those past PB games?

You're getting old DArt.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

November 14th, 2017, 20:28
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
True for the most part, but there are some exceptions. There's a quest involving the recruitment of a certain companion that I thought was very poorly balanced.
Spoiler

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 14th, 2017, 20:34
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Spoiler

No, I was referring to…

Spoiler – …..

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 14th, 2017, 20:54
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
No, I was referring to…

Spoiler – …..
That is true, that second quest should have been locked until you get to the next chapter.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 01:39
Sounds good. The sense I'm getting is that the majority of PB fans consider it the best PB game since Gothic 2 - which is saying something.

I can't wait until I have enough time to devote to it.
Crazy enough, but yeah, PB fans are largely saying it's their best game since Gothic 2. I would definitely agree with that.

I'm really impressed by some aspects of it, like the huge-yet-handcrafted world exploration, the large scale of it all and the overall choices with consequences, which are just very impressive at times.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

November 15th, 2017, 01:45
So when you guys say you can’t beat these enemies at low level, is it really impossible like baldurs gate where a level 1 could never kill a level 20 or is it more like dark souls where if your good enough you can kill any enemy in the game even at level 1?

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 15th, 2017, 01:48
Dark Souls? You mean a type of a game that is ment to be played like this 24/7:

No. Elex is not about grind.
If a group of low level trashmobs aggro on you and you're not careful, you'll die regardless of protagonist's level in Elex.

Elex is also antifastrun game. You can't rush to the last scene and pwn it with, dunno, flamethrower cc for example. You have to build your character - it's RPG.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; November 15th, 2017 at 02:01.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

November 15th, 2017, 02:02
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Dark Souls? You mean a type of a game that is ment to be played like this 24/7:

No. Elex is not about grind.
If a group of low level trashmobs aggro on you and you're not careful, you'll die regardless of protagonist's level in Elex.
Your misunderstanding of dark souls is only surpassed by your misunderstanding of the word scam but at least the second part of you post answers my question.

Too bad it would be nice if enemies we’re beatable if you had enough skill but it’s not a game breaker.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 15th, 2017, 02:07
Man, I've posted elsewhere asian soaps are my guilty pleasure. Can't get enough of those.
Will I say you're misunderstanding them? No, they're trash, I'm aware of that, but I enjoy that junk abnormally. Me adoring them doesn't mean anyone misunderstood anything.

So forgive me, but grinding is not something I misunderstand. It's something I despise.

Note that because of trashmobs respawning mechanics you can still grind in Elex. However, thanks to huge XP gain from quests and sidequests plus skills that net you more than enough of $ whatever character type you're roleplaying, doing it is a complete waste of time.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

November 15th, 2017, 02:15
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Too bad it would be nice if enemies we’re beatable if you had enough skill
No thank you. It was terrible when they tried that in Risen 3. Made the game a complete pushover for people with decent stick skills. The community was upset and they fixed it (very well, I might add) in ELEX.

ELEX is 100% an RPG that depends on stats, equipment and your abilities. Player skill is still considered, i.e. you can handle a somewhat tougher fight if you're good, and it also rewards cleverness, i.e. you can find powerful or expensive scrolls to help, or grab a bundle of grenades, etc., but a lot of fights will simply be impossible until your character has better:

1 - Abilities
2 - Equipment
3 - A companion

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

November 15th, 2017, 02:26
No thank you. It was terrible when they tried that in Risen 3. Made the game a complete pushover for people with decent stick skills. The community was upset and they fixed it (very well, I might add) in ELEX.

ELEX is 100% an RPG that depends on stats, equipment and your abilities. Player skill is still considered, i.e. you can handle a somewhat tougher fight if you're good, and it also rewards cleverness, i.e. you can find powerful or expensive scrolls to help, or grab a bundle of grenades, etc., but a lot of fights will simply be impossible until your character has better:

1 - Abilities
2 - Equipment
3 - A companion
Then risen 3 did it wrong. The souls series and souls like games do it and are extremely challenging. It doesn’t matter though I have no intention of turning this into a PB games vs DS thread. They’re different types of games and I play them for different reasons. I mearly referenced it to get an idea of the system used.

I’ll pick the game up tomorrow and find out for myself. Thanks for the reply.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

November 15th, 2017, 02:32
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Too bad it would be nice if enemies we’re beatable if you had enough skill but it’s not a game breaker.
Actually all the PB games so far (aside from Elex) you can do this.
I finished Risen 1-2 last year again with 1 point in swords, minimal points in str (just enough to be able to wield the sword). Everything can be killed by dodge and repeated strikes. Just dont' get hit, it'll one shot you.

As for Gothic, we literally played a forum game seeing how far you can go on level 1 because dodge is so powerful.

While its fun, I'm glad they changed up the formula a bit.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » ELEX - More Reviews