Dragon Age - Witch Hunt, New DLC Announced, Availble on Sept. 7th

aries100

SasqWatch
Bioware, via Victor Wacther, announced this new DLC for Dragon Age: Origins. It will be released on Sept 7th 2010 - and will have you Warden search for a certain witch. Here's a hopefully not to spoilerish snip from the announcement on the DLC's official website:
She has been sighted in the southern wilderness where she was first encountered. Is it truly her? If it is, then why has is she here and what secret does she carry with her? The Warden heads into the forest to find out and tie up this last loose end once and for all.
Who 'she' is, you can learn by clicking one of the links above, but be warned, spoilers abound.

More information.

While I have not been interested in the few latest DLC's this one I am very eager to get. I was one of the few who really liked this witch so happy to see this follow-up to the story.

This sounds good.

The rendered character on the DLC site looks almost nothing like the character in the game. Kind of like when they switched out actors as Darrin in the old TV show Bewitched.

After the "Return to Ostagar" DLC, I decided I'd never buy a Dragon Age DLC again.

It seems I will change my mind.

sounds interesting...but seems wasted on DLC (as opposed to a full expansion). These are, what a few hours? I would far rather have a decent expansion which explores things properly - assuming this is *that* witch. They seem to be releasing new DLC every month...that must have an impact on production values? I'll wait to see some reviews...

I didn't see this mentioned, but according to a post by Chris Priestly on BSN this is the *last* DLC to be released for DAO.

EDIT: Figured people like sources :)

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/94/index/4568066&lf=8

Oh and this tid-bit from David was nice:

Consider this:

If you're looking on this only from the romance perspective, out of all the romances in Dragon Age Morrigan's is the only one you never get any personal closure on. Not even a little bit. I understand wanting more from Alistair, Zevran and Leliana but you do at least get something from them... whereas from Morrigan you get nothing (albeit for very good reasons).

So for those men who romanced Morrigan, you might want to cut them some slack.

That said, that's not the only reason to do this DLC-- I would think many people would be curious as to what the future holds regarding Morrigan. And, yes, it takes all the various ending states of Origins into account. And, yes, in case anyone's wondering I wrote the Morrigan part.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the "Ultimate Edition". ;)

Appearently a ME2 DLC is released the same day in which you go with Liara after the Shadow Broker. It will be interesting to play both I think.

The "Shadow Broker" always reminds me of that Boba Fett - related Star Wars novel trilogy ... by one Mr. Jeter.
There was also some kind of ... "Broker".

I dont mind the DLC per se, but I cant help but feel that the integration into the vanilla DAO is far from seamless. The ones I've played dont add all that much to the game.

Knowing this I wouldnt wait for an ultimate edition for the sake of the DLC.

<speach style="Yogi Bear">You're right Booboo!</speach>
I really wish they would have dumped all the other DLCs and made this DLC into a big expansion.
<exit - stage right>

I dont mind the DLC per se, but I cant help but feel that the integration into the vanilla DAO is far from seamless. The ones I've played dont add all that much to the game.

Knowing this I wouldnt wait for an ultimate edition for the sake of the DLC.

Which DLC offers did you feel didn't fit seemlessly with the vanilla DA:O? Obviously Dark Spawn Chronicles shouldn't but I didn't feel like any of the other quests felt ill paired to the core game.

"Which hunt ?"

;)

What's the price of all the DLC combined, and how does that compare to the content of a traditional full expansion?

What's the price of all the DLC combined, and how does that compare to the content of a traditional full expansion?

Main campaign:
Warden's Keep $7
Feastday Combo Pack $2.99

Alternate Campaigns:
Witch Hunt $7 (?)
Golems of Amgarrak $5
Leliana's Song $7
Darkspawn Chronicles $5

Return to Ostagar ($5) and The Stone Prisoner ($15) was free, so they can be seen as a part of the main game really, just like Zaeed Messani in Mass Effect 2. You should have them already. Return to Ostagar brings some closure to what happened there, a nostalgia ride similar to Normandy Crash Site for Mass Effect 2. I like Stone Prisoner. The golem is one of the best companions in my taste and also one of the funniest.

Warden's Keep gave me an ability to draw mana from my hitpoints, which was useful as mage, and it also offers a Party Chest which really should have been in the main game. That chest alone made the DLC worth it for me, the rest wasn't that interesting really.

Feastday pranks was meaningless if you ask me. Waste of inventory space.

Witch Hunt and Golems of Amgarrak could be played with the Warden, which can be seen as expansion material. You can import your Warden into Golems of Amgarrak, but you cannot import him/her back to be used in Awakenings. Beating it will give some really nifty rewards which I actually used throughout Awakenings.
The game is very difficult with a low level character, but even with my level 34 warden, the end fight on hard took several hours for me (you get an achievement for beating the end challenge on hard or greater difficulty). The DLC is very atmospheric and immersive in the first part, but then I thought it became more about solving puzzles and crawling through monsters.

Leliana's Song and Darkspawn Chronicles are games in themselves. Darkspawn Chronicles was an "alternate universe" style of story which doesn't intrigue me. Leliana's Song was quite decent if you accept that you are playing a story rather than creating the story, that is, the story is ultralinear without much of a choice. If you like the companion you should check it out. It's quite challenging because you are going to play it all at really low level and every goldcoin counts.

I have to say that none of the DLC's have been a must have or could match the quality of Overlord for Mass Effect 2 or Point Lookout for Fallout 3 which I consider to be the best DLC's. You get some brief entertainment out of them but nothing really memorable.

Return to Ostagar ($5) and The Stone Prisoner ($15) was free, so they can be seen as a part of the main game really, just like Zaeed Messani in Mass Effect 2. You should have them already.

Return to Ostagar wasn't free with any version of DA that I'm aware of.

Warden's Keep was free if you purchased the Digital Deluxe version.

Return to Ostagar wasn't free with any version of DA that I'm aware of.

Maybe I payed for it then. Ostagar felt like finishing up unfinished business.

I did RtO right before the forest, which was the last of the four main quests in the game. For me it was a strange sensation of going back to Ostagar after spending over a week in the other areas of the map.

Which DLC offers did you feel didn't fit seemlessly with the vanilla DA:O? Obviously Dark Spawn Chronicles shouldn't but I didn't feel like any of the other quests felt ill paired to the core game.

I am a touch fellow, but I found it a bit weird to get that Sulcher's Pass entry in the quest log for no reason whatsoever.:D

Return to Ostagar didnt seem like the kind of detour I'd make if in a hurry either, but then that's often an argument against side quests in general. But I might be a bit hard on that DLC because it was kinda boring.

Warden's Keep was free if you purchased the Digital Deluxe version.

Also the stupid blood Dragon Armor which my version had instead of Warden's Keep.
(and I only bothered to download it when I got it a second time for ME2... a weird thing... it should have been an easter egg instead of a DLC)

Back
Top Bottom