10 Most Disappointing, Overrated Games of 2008 @ Fidgit

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Last edited:
Agreed on a lot of those. Although "disappointing" and "overrated" have a lot of games that could easily fit into either category.

My wife bought me a Wii Fit for my birthday (was she trying to tell me something?) She loves it and uses it all the time. I'm a big fan as well, but I rarely have a chance to use it (we only have one TV). I'd love to use it more.

I think the compiler hasn't understood the concept of Little Big Planet at all.
Or belongs to the "consume" philosophy.

Age of Conan was certainly disappointing, but I'd argue that the Conan license had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Age of Conan was certainly disappointing, but I'd argue that the Conan license had absolutely nothing to do with it.
I was thinking the same thing. I think the license actually generated some excitement. But I guess the game didn't.

These lists are crap. A better title would be "20 Games Some Guy Personally Doesn't Like". Of course, we wouldn't have clicked on THAT link...

Its funny when you look back at how people were going on about Conan...and here we are today.
I enjoyed too human and Mass effect...

No need for this list at all.

dumb list, I enjoyed a lot of those games especially Civ 4.

Imflammatory and useless list. Totally slave to subjectivity. These only serve to spark conflict. You link to trolls now?

I'm a bit bemused. There are lists that aren't subjective? You say "imflammatory", I say "conversation".

As for a troll...OK. I think Tom is one of the better gaming journalists out there writing for mainstream gaming sites. His Qt3 board is one of the best "industry" forums out there and quite a few people who visit RPGWatch also read Qt3 and vice versa, so that makes his (subjective) opinion worth a bit of a chin wag, for me. After reading the intro, the list makes perfect sense to me - at least for the handful I've played; doesn't mean he's always right, of course.

Lastly, my long experience (and I have been doing this for a while) is that lots of people complain about silly lists but they also generate a lot of discussion, which is kinda the point of what we do.

I think we need a list of the stupidest lists ... ;)

Yeah, Tom and I have bumped heads more than once, but he is a pretty sharp person and is held in generally high regard as a game writer. As for the list, there is some I agree with, some I disagree with ... pretty much like every other list ever generated ... even by me!

I'm a bit bemused. There are lists that aren't subjective? You say "imflammatory", I say "conversation".

It's the way they are written. I must admit, I didn't read the introduction and skimmed right to the list. He does excuse himself of sorts, saying that he did like some of them. Regardless of how bad a game is:

"This one was delayed until August. It should have been delayed until November."
"This is a game about what losers the people who play it are."
"Great story, shame about the game."

...seem specially designed to annoy people who liked the games. I guess his intentions were not that juvenile.

"6) Wii Fit
More like Wii fad lol!"
:p

Tom Chick?

He's what I would call a knowledgable casual gamer. For a popular game writer, he's pretty ignorant overall. But his pop and slightly "edgy" approach is apparently enough for most people, as he seems to be quite respected. Especially at QT3 - which is almost like a place of worship for him and everyone in the business for the sake of business.

I don't get the Civ IV overrated game thing and no one else would at www.civfanatics.com

If he left GTA 4 being the worst port in the history of ports then I would agree, but I like the characters, story, gameplay a lot. I think it is a vast improvement over San Andreas (once you get it working :))

So RPG formulas are now getting "long-in-the-tooth"? Yeeaaa, ok. I happen to like the formula and wish they would make a lot more. If KOTOR 3 - 20 came out I would be a happy camper. The biggest flaw I guess this guy has with the formula would be the good vs evil thing, but so what, it's a game not real life. As long as its fun.

So we have to break the mold and make new more innovative formulas even when they are still popular? Well I heard that they tried that with D&D 4th edition and screwed up royally. Mind you, I haven't (and now won't) bought D&D 4th edition, but everywhere I go people are either blasting it to kingdom come or making fun of it. I hear it will be great for PC games though, fits right in with WOW.

For me mass effect was just as good as the reviews promised so I dont think it was overrated. Age of conan was disappointing because it was hyped too much and fall flat on face with bundle of technical issues.

The rest is more or less spot as far as im concerned. One of the more respected industry magazines "edge" reviewed gta4 as one of the ten best games ever made - Im sure the game is good but that good? Surely not.

Why don't I see the worst game of 2008 Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods in that list?

I don't think you'll find a guy like Tom Chick expects much of a game like that. I don't even think you'd find a genuine gamer who REALLY expected much of it - I certainly didn't.

That said, it was MUCH worse than I expected, which is pretty bad.

I didn't even look at the list, but if FarCry 2 isn't on there, then I'll just assume they didn't play it.

It's Tom's GotY.

The only game I've got into this year is ToEE with Co8 5.5.0 BETA installed. I'm into full regression mode for entertainment (game wise). Having said that, King's Bounty and Drakensang haven't made it to these shores and I'm hearing good things about Sacred 2's hack n slash-a-thon (which I'm partial to every once in a while). MMOs? I'm not playing any.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom