Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Review @ Niche Gamer - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Review @ Niche Gamer

Default Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Review @ Niche Gamer

December 6th, 2020, 20:38
Niche Gamer reviewed Yakuza: Like a Dragon:

Yakuza: Like A Dragon Review

In 15 years, the Yakuza franchise has blossomed from a obscure cult series, into a major pillar in Sega's portfolio. It helped that the series was both a gripping crime drama, and also a quirky life-sim that is packed with mini-games.

Every entry would further refine upon the concepts of the last, with the beat 'em up mechanics becoming more nuanced. Different playable characters would be introduced, and eventually the long running main character would take up different fighting styles.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon takes huge risks for the series which has been playing it very safe since the beginning. Kazuma Kiryu, the enduring protagonist of the franchise, has been retired. Further, the developers have completely abandoned the action gameplay in favor of a traditional JRPG turn-based system. Miraculously, this bold and new direction is exactly what Yakuza needed.

[…]

Yakuza: Like A Dragon proves you can make a masterpiece by experimenting with the formula. It is more than just being the best Yakuza game yet, but also one of the best RPGs ever made. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio did their homework, understand what makes a great JRPG, and combined it with their honed craftsmanship of decades of making some of the best crime dramas in video games.

The Verdict: 10

The Good

• Dragon Engine running full blast on new generation consoles allows it to hit high frame rates and look better than ever
  • A deep well of side-content and mini-games that range from series staples to new concepts like Dragon Kart and a robust business sim
  • A gripping story, full of characters you'll care about
  • Isezaki Ijincho is a huge new map that is meticulously detailed and brimming with life
  • Turn-based RPG gameplay is a breath of fresh air and is a great fit for the Yakuza franchise
The Bad

• George Takei as a tough and macho mob boss is a dubious casting choice
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

December 8th, 2020, 11:21
I'm loving this game. And Takei is plenty tough. He's been in a feud with Shatner for decades now and he's outlived at least half of the original cast from ST, which is tough enough for me. (Outliving your enemies or fellow cast members = winning & tough.)

Combat is this weird hybrid turn-based kinda sorta thing which I am not minding at all. Now excuse me while I go breathe fiery bad breath on some more battle bums.

I've never played any of the other Yakuza games before but it sounds like I picked a good one to start with.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 11th, 2020, 15:17
@joxer

Yakuza 3 , Yakuza 4, Yakuza 5 & Yakuza 6 are coming to PC - DSO Gaming
SEGA and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio have announced that Yakuza 6, Yakuza 3 Remastered, Yakuza 4 Remastered & Yakuza 5 Remastered will be officially coming to PC. Yakuza 6 will release in March 2021, whereas the three remasters will be available this January.
--
In the words of George Carlin -"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"
Last edited by Couchpotato; December 11th, 2020 at 15:43.

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)

December 11th, 2020, 17:40
And here I thought the quarantine is gonna kill my social life in 2021.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Review @ Niche Gamer