Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I wonder what game is not mediocre by their standards.
Oh, wait, I remembered. Neo Scavenger.

That's because only very few and vocal ones played it. Yet they bash CP2077 while having the largest player base in their survey, and 376 page forum section about it!

It is a shame as the rpgcodex is considered a form or an authority on crpgs.

About 10 years ago I looked for a site with up-to-date information about RPGs. I found RPGCodex and RPGWatch. I did not like the general atmosphere on RPGCodex (too much internet rant which I try to avoid) and ended up here. Have not checked the codex since then but the same stuff seems to continue over there. No doubt the majority over there are reasonable people too, but the extremes are always most vocal. There's a wide landscape between blind hate and love. Why do these people always end up expressing one of the extremes?

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Coming to Nintendo Switch - Twitter
Amalur is expanding its borders and heading into the unkown territory of… Nintendo Switch on March 16th, 2021. Return to the Faelands and forge your fate. Uncover the secrets of Amalur and rescue a world torn apart by a vicious war - finally on-the-go!
Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms - The Dragons of Black and Gold
Imagine a world on fire, where mortal lives are forfeited to any beast that craves their flesh, where dwarves can be buried beneath their mountains forever in an instant, and the gold of The Four Kingdoms lies amassed in the lairs of great dragons. This is every dragon’s dream, and an objective that was set to them eras ago. At first, there were many dragons fighting alongside the Mother of Betrayers, burning and pillaging the lands of Karak-Hohn, Baga, Larastir, and Edherest. They destroyed countless halls and cities, and killed many in their rampage, an accomplishment they are proud of. But after years of being hunted by the dwarves and the fall of the Mother, most of the dragons have flown away from the continent, back into their homeland.

Now only four remain, each having carved out their own domain in the Split Kingdoms. They are each more vicious than the other, competing amongst themselves for the honor of being the greatest dragon that ever lived, a legend along with their mother, Geis. Today we’ll discuss two of the four dragons, Shadis, the dragon of Black and Razen, the dragon of Gold.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Retrospective - PC Gamer
Like many people, I recently finished season 2 of The Mandalorian and was left with a powerful hunger for more Star Wars in any form. I rewatched the original trilogy, read a selection of graphic novels and books (including Steve Perry's brilliant Shadows of the Empire), and—and best of all—decided to replay BioWare's classic Star Wars RPG, Knights of the Old Republic.

The last time I played KOTOR was around the time of its UK release in the autumn of 2003, and it was the perfect antidote to the prequel trilogy. George Lucas was two films deep by this point. Attack of the Clones was released the year before and I was not a fan, to put it mildly. But here was this videogame, set four thousand years before Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and the Death Star, reminding me of why I loved Star Wars in the first place. A rare, thrilling chance to experience the unseen history of my favourite fictional universe.

That's because only very few and vocal ones played it. Yet they bash CP2077 while having the largest player base in their survey, and 376 page forum section about it!

It is a shame as the rpgcodex is considered a form or an authority on crpgs.

That sounds typical for the Codex. You'll have 100 guys talking about how terrible a game is while 99 of them are still playing it.

I'm not sure about them being considered an authority on RPGs though. I'm sure they are in their heads, but anyone who's familiar with the site takes it with a grain of salt.

Fallout: Miami - Fall 2020 Progress Update

Summer’s behind us, and we’re back with another Fallout: Miami development update. Hope you all enjoyed the environmental showcase we released recently. Things have gotten pretty crazy this year, so we hope you and yours are doing as good as possible, all things considered. Current events haven’t stopped us from working on Miami, and we’re stoked to show you a few of the things we’ve gotten done over the past months.
Atomic Heart EXCLUSIVE GeForce RTX PC Game Reveal

Watch the new RTX ON trailer showcasing ray tracing and DLSS in the madcap world of Atomic Heart.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Information Regarding Physical Rewards
This update is important for those who wanted to purchase physical tiers and add-ons, but haven’t done it yet. We wanted to let you know that we will close the pre-orders on physical tiers and add-ons on the 28th of February, because we need to know the final number of physical items we need to produce. Most of the physical goodies such as statues, snowballs, and jewelry, are handcrafted by artists, so we need to be sure they have enough time to craft and deliver these items to become part of your tiers.This also concerns the backers who have physical tiers but haven’t finished their pledge transfer yet. After the 28th of February you will be able to complete your pledge transfer, but you won’t be able to add any additional physical items into your order. Meanwhile, look at some of the physical items which have been produced already!
Revolver (Jade Empire 2) Cancelled -Unseen64
Revolver is the codename for an ambitious action RPG that was in development for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 by BioWare with the help of Big Sandwich Games. The project started around the same time as they were working on the first Mass Effect for Xbox 360 (announced in October 2005). While Mass Effect would have been their major exclusive for Microsoft’s home console (PC version of ME was released 6 months later), Revolver was meant to be their new multiplatform series and many resources were put into the project, taking about 5 years to develop..
Dragon Age: Origins - AI-enhanced HD Texture Pack
Modder ‘NewActionPotential’ released a HD Texture Pack for Dragon Age: Origins that overhauls over 2200 textures. In order to achieve this, the modder used AI techniques, meaning that these new textures retain the style of the original textures.
New rumor Final Fantasy 7 Remake coming simultaneously to PC and PS5
A new rumor surfaced last week regarding the rumored PC version of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. According to Resetera’s member KatharsisT, who is a well-known leaker, Square Enix plans to announce and release the PC version of Final Fantasy 7 Remake, alongside the PS5 version, in 2021.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - January 2021 Producer's Letter
Happy January, dear readers. We hope you had a wonderful holiday season and are ready for an exceptional 2021. We have a few happy topics this month, so let's dive right in.
Fallout: New Vegas 2 Rumored to Be in the Works - WCCFTech
I expect FNV2 in the latter half of this decade. I expect TES6 in 2026-7. I expect anything close to a Fallout 5 in the 2030s. Starfield is next, and even that needs another year or two.
King's Bounty II Preview - VentureBeat
I got excited in 2019 when 1C and Deep Silver announced that King’s Bounty II was coming in 2020. Steam says I’ve put in 630 hours into the series. Like Civilization, it’s a comfort-food game for me. So of course I’m excited that a sequel is on the way. And it’s taking a bit of a different direction; the sequel is a merging of open-world RPG with tactical combat, and it’s ditching some of the lighter tone and artwork of previous games. You still choose one of three heroes (warrior, mage, or paladin), and you’re still exploring, taking on quests, buying new units for your army, and searching for treasures. Of course, 2020 being that most awful of years, it got postponed to late March..

According to Resetera’s member KatharsisT, who is a well-known leaker, Square Enix plans to announce and release the PC version of Final Fantasy 7 Remake, alongside the PS5 version, in 2021.
Episode 1, I presume. I sure hope it's in the spring but COVID could be delaying them.

Where's the Episode 2 rumors!?

Cyberpunk 2077 Review - RPG Codex

All things considered, Cyberpunk 2077 is an awfully mediocre game. It surely doesn't bring anything new to the table, no cool mechanics to push the genre into a new branch of evolution regardless of what genre you consider this to be. Everything it offers has already been done elsewhere to some degree and also executed better.
That's pretty much exactly my impressions, too.

Remember that, JDR, when I said everything it tries to do has been done better in other games and you could just buy a bunch of games that focus on the part you want like a racing game and FPS, etc, etc. You said it was the dumbest thing you ever heard? :p

That sounds typical for the Codex. You'll have 100 guys talking about how terrible a game is while 99 of them are still playing it.

I'm not sure about them being considered an authority on RPGs though. I'm sure they are in their heads, but anyone who's familiar with the site takes it with a grain of salt.
Yeah, well, the hype was so huge everyone played it and most had uninstalled within the first week. Anyone still playing surely put off playing until it received a few patches.

Remember that, JDR, when I said everything it tries to do has been done better in other games and you could just buy a bunch of games that focus on the part you want like a racing game and FPS, etc, etc. You said it was the dumbest thing you ever heard? :p

Someone else saying something similar doesn't make it less dumb. :)

Yeah, well, the hype was so huge everyone played it and most had uninstalled within the first week. Anyone still playing surely put off playing until it received a few patches.

That's pretty amazing that you know what other people did or didn't do with the game. Can you tell me what next week's lotto numbers are too? ;)

Someone else saying something similar doesn't make it less dumb. :)
To you. That is just your opinion. Maybe it's of value to someone. Maybe mine is of value to more people than yours. Who knows? All we can be sure of is a lot of people found the game underwhelming and that you like to be vocal with your judgement of others opinions, regardless of its value or merit.

That's pretty amazing that you know what other people did or didn't do with the game. Can you tell me what next week's lotto numbers are too? ;)
You don't have to have magic powers to see the game launched with 8 million pre-orders and 1,500,000 peak users on Steam and today its peak was under 60,000. That's not a lot of people playing. How many are STILL playing compared to those who waited for some reason? I'd say, based on the massive drop of concurrent players, not many.

I'm curious if Micro$oft will have any say in the glacial pace Bethesda creates content. My hope is that the bigger company will expect faster execution. You'd think everyone at Bethesda works 10 hour weeks or are complete morons based on how long it takes them to make a game.

I'm curious if Micro$oft will have any say in the glacial pace Bethesda creates content. My hope is that the bigger company will expect faster execution. You'd think everyone at Bethesda works 10 hour weeks or are complete morons based on how long it takes them to make a game.

So true!!! :lol: I love modding Skyrim but boy would a new elders scrolls be great.

As for CP2077 add me to the list of sorely disappointed. I was really looking forward to it too. Maybe I read too many press clippings but I was expecting revolutionary and genre moving but it was just OK. At least what I played of it. I put it aside for now. Not because of bugs but because it just wasn’t that fun. As much as it pains me to say it I enjoyed watched dogs legion more. World felt more alive, combat was better and I felt hacking was much more useful and easy to do. I will return to play CP2077 when its patched and any DLC is released and I hope It changes my mind about it.

To you. That is just your opinion. Maybe it's of value to someone. Maybe mine is of value to more people than yours. Who knows? All we can be sure of is a lot of people found the game underwhelming and that you like to be vocal with your judgement of others opinions, regardless of its value or merit.

Isn't it funny how we could reverse roles here and the exact same would still apply? :)

You don't have to have magic powers to see the game launched with 8 million pre-orders and 1,500,000 peak users on Steam and today its peak was under 60,000. That's not a lot of people playing. How many are STILL playing compared to those who waited for some reason? I'd say, based on the massive drop of concurrent players, not many.

It's been out almost 2 months now, and it's not that long of a game. I'd say most of those people probably stopped playing simply because they've finished.

If the game was that bad it would be reflected in the user-reviews. Guess what… they're mostly positive, and that's even despite the game being heavily trolled.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse Earthblood - The Essence of Rage (Dev Diary 2)

Werewolves are complex creatures with a desire to protect but also imbued with devastating rage. Our developers explain what it's like to be a Werewolf in the World of Darkness and how that manifests in Earthblood.
Werewolf: The Apocalypse Earthblood - Endron Ad #3

Endron is smooth with words, but it's not the truth. Endron used the Missouri Dam to stifle vital water supplies to over 14 million acres of forest land. Endron was looking to encourage the return of Missouri's once famous logging industry. We put a stop to that! For Gaia!

Mass Effect 2 Cut Jack's Pansexual Due to Media Backlash - TechRaptor
People who've played Mass Effect 2 might remember Jack, also known as Subject Zero, a biotic and potential romance option for a male Shepard. However, players may also wonder why they have to be male to romance Jack when she talks about getting intimate with non-male partners. As it turns out, BioWare was originally going to make her pan, but removed non-straight romances from the game after weathering a moral panic over the first game's depiction of sex.
The state of Stardew Valley in 2021 - PCGamer
Stardew Valley is currently in a great place. With the recent 1.5 update there's no better time to jump into farming life, even if you've not booted up your save for years. It's the same story when you look at the numbers. ConcernedApe tweeted back in January that the game had sold 10 million copies, so it seems that Stardew Valley is doing very well for itself.
Top Upcoming Diablo-Like Games - GameInfomer
While many games have taken some features and mechanics from the classic template and applied them in other ways, the isometric layout with its health and resource globes, potions, and paper dolls is still a force to be reckoned with. Here are some of the Diablo-likes to watch as we head into 2021 and beyond.
Most Anticipated RPGs of 2021 - Wccftech
While 2020 was a year filled with remakes, remasters and all other manners of re-envisioning some classic RPGs, this year looks to be when newer consoles start hitting their strides with some fresh titles as well as sequels to long-running franchises. Nintendo Switch will get its first new Monster Hunter title with Rise later this March, while the likes of Hogwarts Legacy and Elden Ring might showcase the power of these next-generation consoles (but we can't make any guarantee that we'll actually be able to play either by the end of the calendar year).

Lord I hope this isn't a looter shooter, but coming from The Division guys that's probably what it is.

Yeah, I'm not going to get too excited about that one. I'm sure it's going to be pretty, but I don't have faith in Ubisoft doing a proper Star Wars game.

I'm much more interested in the sequel to Jedi: Fallen Order from Respawn Entertainment.

Ray Muzyka Interview - Ivey Business Review
IBR: You and your co-founder Dr. Greg Zeschuk originally worked as emergency room physicians in Alberta. What motivated you to start BioWare while still practicing medicine?

Before BioWare, Greg and I had actually dabbled in entrepreneurship with medical education software. We made a gastroenterology patient simulator, which ended up being distributed by Janssen-Ortho to all the family doctors across Canada. Even before that, we had also developed an acid-base physiology simulator, which we sold to the University of Alberta—it was used by the first-year med students for a decade. One day at lunch, Greg and I realized that while the potential customers we were speaking to seemed to want medical software, no one seemed to have enough money to pay for it. We liked software, we liked business, but medical education software seemed like a challenging market. So instead, we decided—literally decided over the course of a lunch meeting—to make the leap to take all of our personal savings, max out our lines of credit with our banks to get some startup capital, and hire some folks to start making video games. We both had played a lot of video games; they were our passion growing up. Even after founding BioWare, I continued in rural locum tenens ER and family medicine for the better part of a decade—partly because I liked medicine, and partly because we didn’t take a salary for the first five years at BioWare so I needed the money to pay my mortgage payment for my condo and the minimum payments on my credit cards and lines of credit!
Possible Remaster of Diablo II - GamesIndustry.biz
Activision Blizzard has moved its Vicarious Visions studio from the Activision side of the business to the Blizzard side.

The publisher today told GamesIndustry.biz that effective today, it is merging Vicarious Visions into Blizzard Entertainment.

Going forward, the Vicarious Visions team of about 200 people will be employees of Blizzard and "fully dedicated to existing Blizzard games and initiatives," which means the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 studio will no longer be creating games as the lead developer.

"After collaborating with Vicarious Visions for some time and developing a great relationship, Blizzard realized there was an opportunity for [Vicarious Visions] to provide long-term support," a representative explained to us. They declined to specify what the team has been working on with Blizzard, or for how long.
Ni-Oh 2: Complete Edition Preview Roundup

PC Gamer
I was so engrossed in Nioh 2's character creator that I was tempted to stay in it, tinkering endlessly, and never actually play the game that comes after it. It's a great character creator: Every time I hit the randomize button I saw a new face that I liked, or that at least made me laugh. After almost an hour, though, I pried myself away from the character creator to get to the combat at the heart of Nioh 2 and test out how it runs on PC. For the most part, it's good, with some surprising PC-exclusive features. But there are also some surprising problems that I hope Koei Tecmo fixes before release.
WCCFTech
Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition features everything fans of the original have loved about the game: great level design, the loot system featuring tons of gear to collect and customize, new abilities to play with, and many angry Yokai who cannot wait to get their filthy hands on the player. You will die a lot, but the refinement of the mechanics seen in the first game will make sure, more than ever, that you will love each and every second of this new adventure set in Feudal Japan. How the PC version will stack with the PlayStation 5 release remains to be seen, but if you only own a PC and never hard the chance to try the PlayStation 4 release, there's a very good chance you will not be disappointed.
PC Invasion
Fans will be happy to know that this is a very good port. Nioh 2 isn’t exactly a good-looking game, but hey. It works well, and only crashed on me a couple of times in my first eight hours. The only issue I’ve had is that my mouse cursor is visible onscreen all the time. It’s been centered over my character the entire time that I’ve been playing, and I can’t seem to make it go away. I hope Team Ninja fixes that. I can’t recall the last time I’ve had this problem with a game. Also, the install is 76 GBs. Even though it kind of looks like a PS3 game. RIP my SSD space.

Ray Muzyka Interview - Ivey Business Review
I'm still wondering how Bioware really started, it's always surprising to see the differences when it's told by Ray Muzyka or Greg Zeschuk, the doctors who claim they both founded Bioware, or by Trent Ostner who claims they were six to found Bioware and that Ray & Greg were brought in the team by Marcel Zeschuk - Greg's cousin.

Depending on who's telling the story, either the doctors made the first demo, or the Ostner brothers did. And either Bioware hired Pyrotek's people, or they moved to Pyrotek after Bioware was founded and Marcel was fired by Greg, only to come back later.

It's only marginally interesting, those are typical company's debut hiccups, but someone isn't entirely honest, there. :thinking:

Back
Top Bottom