Fall of the Black Mage

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
This is pretty niche, but I imagine some folk here will be interested!

Petri Hakkinen, one of the guys behind Legend of Grimrock and Druidstone, has been developing a Vic-20 RPG as a personal project. I've been following his progress on Twitter and its been very interesting - I know next to nothing about programming, but his struggles to find additional memory through various design tricks has still been fun to follow. He's uploaded quite a few videos about the programming side of things if you're interested.

The game itself looks quite cool. It looks like something of a cross between a dungeon crawler and a Gold Box game, within the limitations of what a Vic-20 can achieve of course. He seems to be getting closer to completion at the minute, and he was recently talking about expanding the PC port to add in additional sound effects that wouldn't be possible on the Vic-20 version (although otherwise leaving it the same as the Vic-20 version).

Some images attached (I couldn't work out how to embed them into the post. :))

Further footage on Twitter here - exploration:
https://twitter.com/petrih3/status/1264132231678869505

and some combat footage:
https://twitter.com/petrih3/status/1233357476780744707

I'm definitely curious, and looking forward to playing it when its ready. Anyone else following it?

Attachments

• FOBM2.jpg
    FOBM2.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 57
  • FOBM1.png
    FOBM1.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 54
Assuming it will actually run on my current machine, I'd give this a go. Mixing a gold box with a dungeon crawler touches me in all the right feels! I'd not heard of it before reading this, so thanks for the information.

Thanks for pointing out. It has a Dark Heart of Uukrull look to me. Which is fantastic.

I never played Dark Heart of Uukrul, but having just spent a bit of time watching some videos I see what you mean!

Back
Top Bottom