Divinity PCs Stolen at GamesCom, Larian Offers $5000 Reward

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Larian Studios was prepared to show off Divinity: Origin Sin and Divinity: Dragon Commander at this week's GamesCom, but unfortunately some unscrupulous fellow(s) saw fit to steal the PCs that the team was going to use for their press demonstrations. Word is that they had a backup plan in place, but are offering a $5000 reward to anyone who can help them get the PCs back:

$5000 Reward Offered for Stolen PCs Containing Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin Builds

Hey folks… this definitely isn't the way we wanted to kick off Gamescom!

Two PCs were stolen from Larian's booth in the business hall at Gamescom, containing early builds of Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin.

Larian is offering a $5000 reward for information leading to the identification of the culprit and return of the PCs. We're asking the game community to band together to track these criminals down and to get the games back!

The team is using backup PCs, so no issues there — and if you have an appointment with Larian, there's no change — but if you have any information about the culprits, head to Business Hall 4.2, Booth A-16 to let the team know. Oh, and you might as well stay for a demo.

As much as we'd all like to play the games early, I really hope the builds themselves don't get leaked online.

Link-http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109146-divinity-pcs-stolen-at-gamescom-larian-offers-5000-reward.html

Really what goes through the minds of rabid fans. Do they really need to play the games right now? There not even finished yet.

I hope this isn't a setback for Larian as there one of the very few company's I still trust and like. Lets all put a larger bounty on those fools.:)

I bet its game crackers or something. I bet these early builds will appear on some torrent sites within the next few hours.

I bet its game crackers or something. I bet these early builds will appear on some torrent sites within the next few hours.

It will be a repeat of Crysis2 all over again. Millions will download then not buy the final product based on a beta version.

Hm, I don't know. Larian isn't CryTek. Or how they are called.

Hm, I don't know. Larian isn't CryTek. Or how they are called.

Alrik i used a generalization. I know millions wont download it I just used an example.

Okay. I guess it was just the language barrier again.

And I have huge problems detecting irony. It just happens. ;)

I know I'll be buying both games as Larian puts out quality products worth the money.

I know I'll be buying both games as Larian puts out quality products worth the money.

+1

I don't believe that. Those games are not "hot", if the stolen PC had GTA5 on it, then I'd believe it was stolen to get it's contents pirated. But an early build that probably still isn't beta for a couple of RPGs? Nah.

I hope the stolen system didn't contain any source code. It's bad enough to have an early beta stolen but much worse for code to appear in the wild.
The thing I wonder about is what kind of security is there at GamesCom when someone can just walk out with a computer.

I've setup equipment at Computer Shows and Company ID was required when bringing in equipment.

What a lame thing to happen to an awesome company. Reminiscent of the security guard schmuck that stole Tom Petty's guitars mid-tour.

I'm sure whoever stole it is doing so to sell the hardware, not to steal the source code and beta builds of some obscure niche games. I'm sure they've been blanked and had a cracked OS jammed on 'em and are on their locations popular version of craigslist right now. :p

Yeah, that really sucks. Some people are real dicks.

I don't believe that. Those games are not "hot", if the stolen PC had GTA5 on it, then I'd believe it was stolen to get it's contents pirated. But an early build that probably still isn't beta for a couple of RPGs? Nah.

Hm, could be right, but … having access to Dragon Commander ? Even an early build ? I think that where turn-based combat is selling (and that would be east europe, I guess), it could be interesting … And Dragon Commander is THE surprise game from he recent years !

Apart from that I suspect someone from Security. I wrote elsewhere that I know at least 2 tales of someone from Security actually stealing something ...

If they didnt secure their computers properly with TrueCrypt i can't really feel sorry for them if it leaks. A good lesson probably.

Why? Perhaps it would be a good lesson learned, but that hardly means you can't feel sorry for them. They were ripped off, even if the computers were encrypted, it's still unfortunate they lost some of their hardware. I wouldn't say cynicism and distrust of everyone around you is admirable, though keeping a close eye on your valuables might be wise.

Correction then, i feel sorry they lost the hardware (though its a piss in the ocean for them). But if it leaks, it will be a valuable lesson, maybe even worth the loss of some hardware and alpha being leaked..

Yeah, hopefully it will be no big deal in the end.

Back
Top Bottom