|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Underworld Ascendant - New Website

Default Underworld Ascendant - New Website

November 22nd, 2017, 02:00
The latest newsletter for Underworld Ascendant shares details on deep slugs and announces a new website for the game.

The level is comprised of spaces that are interesting to explore and areas designed to provide a bevy of options for combat, stealth, magic, and interacting with the environment. One of the most fun things to interact with in the world so far is the Deep Slug, which we've mentioned a bit before, but haven't previously shown you up close.

It's an example of what we refer to as an "ambient" creature, which exist in the environment, don't attack on sight, and have useful behaviors that the player can exploit. In short, a tool or toy.

In the Deep Slug's case, it's a peaceful creature that avoids conflict and has a few different useful trails. You can bait it with its favorite foods and its trails will change depending which one it devours.

For instance, if you feed it the fruit of a Ripper (a terrible tree monster), it'll leave behind a flammable trail. Bait it into the patrol path of skeletons or near a wooden platform, apply fire, and enjoy!

If you feed it a Nether Caps? It leaves behind a trail of sight-blocking smoke. Beyond that, we're not saying.

It's not only fun to experiment with, it's often vital when dealing with groups of foes to difficult to tackle one-on-one.

And, it's kind of adorable. In a gross way.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

November 22nd, 2017, 04:19
Also, backing is now closed. Also also, Steam page is up (and has been for some time) if you want to wish list the game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/69…rld_Ascendant/
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

November 22nd, 2017, 12:29
This game has as much impact as a butterfly flapping its wings.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

November 22nd, 2017, 12:30
Development is slower than I would like, but there's clear progress. While I'm still sceptical, I'm slowly getting a good feeling about this.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

November 22nd, 2017, 12:34
Originally Posted by luj1 View Post
This game has as much impact as a butterfly flapping its wings.
Still way more than Grimoire turned out to have

Also, have you heard of the Butterfly Effect?

NewDArt

November 22nd, 2017, 13:11
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Still way more impact than Grimoire turned out to have
Is that why its still in your head? You're not very bright for a 50 year old are you
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2017, 13:15
You can do better than that luj1

I know it was a low blow bringing up that painful title - but that's kinda what your online persona is about.

No tears now!

NewDArt

November 22nd, 2017, 17:03
If they ever finish dev on this game, and that is a big if, its a D1P for me
--
"You may be a doctor. But I'm THE Doctor. The definite article, you might say."

beldurax

Old RPG Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2017, 17:38
Looking forward to the demo/alpha. And hoping the graphic design inspired by spongebob squarepants isn't as prevalent as it was a year or two ago in early trailers.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 22nd, 2017, 20:44
They seem to have toned down that particular style a bit based on the recent vertical slice.

Still pretty stylised, though. Not my preference - but I think it's understandable given their tiny budget.

NewDArt

November 23rd, 2017, 07:55
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Looking forward to the demo/alpha.
Speaking of that, I thought it was finished some time ago. Will all backers receive it?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2017, 19:52
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Speaking of that, I thought it was finished some time ago. Will all backers receive it?
I don't think it's out yet? At least I don't see any mention of it in updates. You had to have pledged $35 or more for beta, $50 or more for alpha.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…orld-ascendant

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2017, 20:01
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
I don't think it's out yet? At least I don't see any mention of it in updates. You had to have pledged $35 or more for beta, $50 or more for alpha.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…orld-ascendant
Ah ok. It's been so long, I had to search through my emails to see how much I pledged because I couldn't remember. I'm eligible for the beta but not the alpha.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2017, 20:26
Looks pretty good. I just hope there are larger areas, too, with interconnectedness, interesting exploration and a nice-sized scale so we can really get lost in The Stygian Abyss.

While still skeptical a bit this is also higher up on my "waiting for" list. Always love an RPG that rewards creativity.
Last edited by Deleted User; November 23rd, 2017 at 20:42.

Deleted User

November 24th, 2017, 02:45
aren't these the folks that are working on system shock first ?

Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Development is slower than I would like, but there's clear progress. While I'm still sceptical, I'm slowly getting a good feeling about this.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

November 24th, 2017, 10:13
Originally Posted by you View Post
aren't these the folks that are working on system shock first ?
Nope.

There's the System Shock Remake by Night Dive Studios - and then there's System Shock 3 - headed by Warren Spector. AFAIK, they intend to finish UA before they focus on SS3. Not sure, but I think there's a small team working with Spector on SS3 - but it's still in a very early stage.

NewDArt

November 24th, 2017, 12:31
Confusing. I would think they would all get together and share resources; but thanks for the clarification.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 24th, 2017, 12:42
Confusing. I would think they would all get together and share resources; but thanks for the clarification.
Wouldn't it be cool if all the great developers just joined forces

Nah, NDS is a separate company doing their own thing.

I do think the UA/SS3 teams will eventually join forces - but they need to release UA first. It's my understanding that the bulk of the relatively small team is working full-time on UA - and a few people (maybe someone from the outside) are working on SS3 as it's being conceptualized. Not sure if they're still doing that, though.

Keep in mind that this is based on what I've read on various forums. I have no actual insight into what these guys are planning.
Last edited by NewDArt; November 24th, 2017 at 12:52.

NewDArt

November 24th, 2017, 14:26
I think this is what confuse me:
-
On September 22, 2015, Night Dive Studios released the original System Shock in the Enhanced Edition that adds support for more resolutions and mouselook. Night Dive Studios has since announced it has acquired full rights to the System Shock series, and are considering developing a third title in the series, as well as remakes for both previous titles, working with original concept artist Robert Waters for some of the design.[1]
-
So they own the rights… but to answer my own question:
Separately, OtherSide Entertainment, founded by Looking Glass's founder Paul Neurath, had been able to acquire a license to the System Shock franchise from Night Dive Studios to develop System Shock 3.[77]
=
I guess everyone knows everyone and are willing to be friendly and all that good stuff.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

November 24th, 2017, 14:32
I think this is what confuse me:
-
On September 22, 2015, Night Dive Studios released the original System Shock in the Enhanced Edition that adds support for more resolutions and mouselook. Night Dive Studios has since announced it has acquired full rights to the System Shock series, and are considering developing a third title in the series, as well as remakes for both previous titles, working with original concept artist Robert Waters for some of the design.[1]
-
So they own the rights… but to answer my own question:
Separately, OtherSide Entertainment, founded by Looking Glass's founder Paul Neurath, had been able to acquire a license to the System Shock franchise from Night Dive Studios to develop System Shock 3.[77]
=
I guess everyone knows everyone and are willing to be friendly and all that good stuff.
I don't know why you think a business deal means they all know each other and they're friendly

But who knows.

Still, there are no plans that I'm aware of for NDS to work on SS3. They're very busy with the remake - and they're a small team.

NewDArt

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Underworld Ascendant - New Website