Avernum 3:Ruined World - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Avernum 3:Ruined World has been announced by Spiderweb Software and expected to release Q1 2018.

Avernum 3: Ruined World is an epic, indie fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous world, spanning an underworld and a gigantic surface continent. Your people long to escape from their underworld prison, but the surface world is being destroyed. Fight the plagues of monsters and win your freedom. Explore a unique world that evolves as time passes. Towns are destroyed. Refugees flee. Disasters happen. Coming Q1, 2018.
More information.

That's earlier than I expected! Great news and a day one purchase for me.

So which exile is this a remake of?

I loved Jeff in the early 90's but he really hasn't improved his games in 25+ years. In fact, he's still making the same games over and over again. It amazes me that he can make a living doing this. A 20-year old game that was poor graphically even back then gets repackaged and sold as new for the third time.

He's Kickstarting a new engine soon. This is probably the last game in this engine/with this type of graphics.

He's Kickstarting a new engine soon. This is probably the last game in this engine/with this type of graphics.

That's a good plan, IMO. He's already got an RPG system and its game logic sorted out, and that's a huge part of the challenge. Actually transferring it to a more modern engine, without getting too ambitious, should be quite manageable - especially if KS will pay for his time.

Yes, if he upgrades enough I will buy all of his games again too. Move the graphics into this decade and all is well.

This is probably the last game in this engine/with this type of graphics.

"probably".

Regardless, there ought to be a lifetime recycling achievement award for Jeff.

So which exile is this a remake of?

Exile 3.

That was actually where I started the Exile series so I have very fond memories about it. But.....I already played through the story in Exile 3, and again in Avernum 3. I'm not so excited about playing it again for the Avernum 3 remake, especially with the exact some engine as all his other games..

It must be nice to be in his position. He just keeps releasing the same game every year and the same neckbeards keep throwing money at him. I love that he doesn't even attempt to change the art any more, just for variety. It's literally the same game year after year. Terrible writing, stone age tech, no presentation, and one of the worst rpg systems on the market even compared to 30 year old games.

It must be nice to be in his position. He just keeps releasing the same game every year and the same neckbeards keep throwing money at him. I love that he doesn't even attempt to change the art any more, just for variety. It's literally the same game year after year. Terrible writing, stone age tech, no presentation, and one of the worst rpg systems on the market even compared to 30 year old games.

U mad?

This is great news to have confirmed, cheers for posting. It's nice to have more enjoyable party based, turn-based goodness to look forward to.

I'll be continuing my journey chronologically through the series via these fun remakes, for sure. Afterwards, I can then feel free to play through the second trilogy at my leisure and not feel like I've drastically missed anything. :)

Burn the heretic! (But he does sort of have a point.)

I imagine if he just gets an artist to spruce up the graphics, that the sales will more than make up for the cost.

I said keep making them, and I'll keep buying them. I love a game where you know you can play it on day one with no patches or fuss. Will buy on release, play on release, and I'll be at the future kickstarter to throw some cash! Good ole Spiderweb!

There's clearly something I'm missing in these games. I think I've tried 3 or 4 of them over the years and never got past 6 or 8 hours of gameplay at most. They just don't suck me in. It's not one thing I can put a finger on... many of the parts just make me go 'meh'. The graphics of course aren't very good (which isn't a deal-breaker for me) but I found the combat to be kind of boring and the writing to be so-so at best. Plus, for me, there's almost always been other games to play that are more compelling than these.

There's clearly something I'm missing in these games. I think I've tried 3 or 4 of them over the years and never got past 6 or 8 hours of gameplay at most. They just don't suck me in. It's not one thing I can put a finger on… many of the parts just make me go 'meh'. The graphics of course aren't very good (which isn't a deal-breaker for me) but I found the combat to be kind of boring and the writing to be so-so at best. Plus, for me, there's almost always been other games to play that are more compelling than these.

I couldn't have said it better especially the last sentence. I can't bring myself to invest significant time in his games when there are so many better titles to play.

This is not a game. It's an art. No!
It's Betterr than art!

Back
Top Bottom