Divinity: Original Sin II - Starter Guide

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer has some tips for Divinity: Original Sin II beginners:

10 things I wish I knew before playing Divinity: Original Sin 2

How to make the first 20 hours go smoothly.

I’m taking a quick break from my adventures in Divinity: Original Sin 2—I keep telling everyone I’m undead, which I shouldn’t, but I’ve also made lots of animal chums, so it’s not all bad—to fling some of my (questionable) wisdom at those of you planning on starting your own. Follow these tips and bits of advice and your first hours in Rivellon will be like a holiday. In prison.

Minor spoilers ahead for the first several hours, of course. We'll have a review up next week.

[...]

More information.

They're right about picking an origin character giving extra dialogue options, I've run into a fair few in just the opening area with the elf character.

They're right about picking an origin character giving extra dialogue options, I've run into a fair few in just the opening area with the elf character.

It also change some of their quest related interactions or after quest related interactions.

I did some Lohse as main and then Lohse as companion (with Sebille as main) and I ended up preferring Lohse as a companion because of it.

Aye I have been torn on the origin character. I just don't like playing pre-made characters as much. I like to make my own history and background. If I play it a second time I going to play Ifan though.

Even though the characters are pre-made, you can still customize almost everything, so personally I don't see a point in creating a character from scratch. Especially as you miss out on quite a bit without one of the pre-made characters.

I just started, and am now going to restart with an origin character ... I guess I just default to 'roll your own', even if I don't really 'draw outside the lines' in character creation.

Arggggh ... decisions :p

Thing is Ifan is my favorite by far but if I play him then he won't be a companion. I have no interest in playing any of the other origins because if I play a pre-made character I want one I can connect to and I can connect to Ifan. It is why I never got more than 20-30 hours into the Witcher 3. Couldn't connect to Geralt. I like many of the characters but as far as playing one - I need some bond to do that.

True, same here for Fane the dead human.

Let's see…

Pick an origin character - This is a good suggestion if you want to play with a character's skills/attribs preset. But you lock yourself out of some wild combinations - till you get to the point of respec in the game. You sure you want to do this?

Save money on lockpicks, get a skeleton - I'm playing as Fane. If I didn't I'd definetly have him around, he's OP and not just because of lockpicks. Oh yeah, up his thieving at least by 1.

Click on everything and everyone - Only the most ignorant gaming site can write this as a suggestion. People are not dumb, DOS2 is not MMOgamer's usual grindy MMO.

Talk to animals - Shall I rolleyes here too? Ifan is a mandatory party member because of OP xbows. Additionally he can… Well.

Protect the black cat - Unless you're playing as or have as party member Red Prince, don't bother with this. Black Cat is piss poor low HP familiar and you'll have teleport spell anyway.

Make liberal use of quicksave - Another rolleyes. Why is this even written? This ain't shallow MMO. And instead I'd say make separate manual savegames before entering an area.

Retreating is fine - No it's not fine. Actual retreating by 2-3 AP walks and not fleeing is a must! Gather boxes, chairs, paintings, barrels at a spot then lure trashmobs into your trap by retreating!

Environmental effects are handy and deadly - "A Necromancer, for instance, can make it rain blood", not really, blood rain needs something else besides necromancy, who wrote this? Necromancer can set decay on a living trashmob then you heal that character and they die. Also Necromancy level has a HP leach effect, etc. Back to env. effects - just make sure you don't get the party caught in friendly fire.

Grab a bedroll as soon as possible - Seriously?

Don’t forget to rotate the camera - Thank god they stopped with irrelevant clickbait article bullshit there.

Welcome to the age of "watch some streams and write a 'review', no purchase required"

I decided I didn't want to miss out and Ifan seems custom made for me anyhow - considering how much I love wolves and dogs ... and he has his soul wolf.

Did customize a lot to bring in my own lore. Really like all the options you have. Went with a hard-hitting rogue with water/ice magic who has great wit, finesse, and intelligence. Pet pal of course.

Also a first impressions review for those curious from Kotaku (some small spoilers for the initial Fort Joy area):

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/09/15-hours-in-divinity-original-sin-2-is-brilliant/

I'm playing on tactian mode and perhaps it was a mistake. Hate to start over but i worry that as the game progress i'll reach a point of just too painful. Part of the issue is that this is my first real game of D:OS-2 (in D:OS i wouldn't dare play below tactian but that's because I'm fluent in the game); and I haven't quite learn all the mechanics yet. All of my characters 'cept archer require a shield which really limits the hit power of my tank. shield are just too important (I think). Also i have no clue how necro et all will play out later in the game.
-
I have beast, ifan, and the two ladies. So I guess no undead for me. If I start over I'll probably swap fan for sobel whom so far I find kind of lame.

I'm playing on tactian mode and perhaps it was a mistake. Hate to start over but i worry that as the game progress i'll reach a point of just too painful.

You can change the difficulty via the menu at any time you know.

I started as a custom character and after 2-3 hours in I restarted with Lohse as my main (and Red Prince, Sebille, and Fane as companions) and I'm glad I did. I changed my Lohse on creation to be a slightly altered battlemage, and have had all companions except Red Prince change somewhat as well.

Loving it so far, but still on the island.

No you can't change difficulty if playing tactian.

Wait you can change to Tactian but not back? That's sound weird.

I don't know if you switch mid game to tactian (or if you can switch mid game to tactian) but if you start as tactian you can't change it. If you have the game just try it yourself.
-
This isn't new it was the same way in D:OS.

Wait you can change to Tactian but not back? That's sound weird.

Back
Top Bottom