The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Geek Dad has reviewed Ashes of Oahu:

Review: 'Ashes of Oahu' on Steam/PC

Ashes of Oahu comes to PC

Background
I have been playing post-apocalyptic RPGs on the PC since the 1990s, and even though the games have changed in look and quality, for the most part they were all set in burnt-out worlds without much color or flair. So when I first saw images of Ashes of Oahu, I was intrigued to see what the game had to offer. I have always been a big fan of Hawaiian and Polynesian culture. Visiting the islands several times myself, they have always been one of my favorite settings. In all of those visits, the one thing that never came to my mind was what would happen if they were a post-apocalyptic setting.

[...]

Score: 7/10

More information.

Hmm, he mostly compares it to Far Cry, which is a completely forgettable series imo. I hope some of you folks take the plunge first.

Maybe HiddenX, who gets so many games for free, will do a mini review. How is Einlander, HX?

Hmm, he mostly compares it to Far Cry, which is a completely forgettable series imo. I hope some of you folks take the plunge first.

Only played a couple of hours, so first impressions:

No speech kind it makes it feel a bit flat to begin with, controls take a bit of getting used to, but not to bad.
Not touched any of the crafting or skill upgrades yet, although does seem to have quite a lot of choice at first glance.

What I played so far, I've started to enjoy more than in the beginning, however I've stopped at the moment, trying to find out if I can remap the keys, if you play WASD I don't think you would have a problem, but as I play with arrow keys this could be a deal-breaker for me, hopefully they will implement this as I would like to play more.

I had to remap with AutoHotkey.

I played it at release, and it was pretty rough. Glitchy and with a very low-budget feel. I doubt you would like it regardless because there aren't any survival mechanics. It's an open-world shooter/RPG hybrid.

I was hyped for this game because I love Hawaii and have stayed on Oahu multiple times. I'm also a big fan of Post-apoc as you know. That said, I was disappointed. The developers ambition is commendable, but I think they made the game too big for their know-how and budget. I might try it again in the future if they continue to refine it, but my expectations are much lower now.

Also, that's the shortest game review I've ever seen. He says almost nothing about his personal experience with the game. I have to question how long he actually played it. Then he rates it a 7/10 which is quite generous imo.

I think the game was planned to include a 1:1 geographically accurate depiction of the island, too.

I quit to let some patches roll in, but I definitely want to return. I liked all the Hawaiian and spirit stuff. Also, the game felt rough in some of the same ways Boiling Point and The Precursors did. That might be a negative for some, but it's kind of awesome for me.

I can do a shooter/rpg hybrid if it has a good loot mechanic. I like Human Revolution and Fallout 4 and even enjoyed Fallout 76 for a while. However, Dishonored didn't grab me at all and neither did the Bioshocks.

Back
Top Bottom