Pillars of Eternity - Gameplay Teaser & Interviews

Troika+Black isle/Obsidian I would be highly surprised if game doesn't come out with decent amount of bugs on release.

Dungeon Siege 3 didn't was quite stable and that was Obsidian last released game.

They also don't have publisher pressure to release with PoE too, the game will have a beta...

There's a new article up on RPS with an interview if people are interested. Going to be another one tomorrow and some discussion of another Kickstarter project it seems.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...st-dungeon-ever-eternitys-length/#more-179423

Lots of good stuff in there, thanks!

Also answers JDR's question from above :

RPS: That does, in fact, sound quite dungeony. What about the rest of the game, though? What kind of scope are you aiming for there?

Saywer: It’s going to be big. I’m not going to give any hour range. It’s going to feel like a worth Infinity engine game. It’s going to be in that ballpark.

I’ve never had a good experience estimating hours before a game’s release. When we made Icewind Dale II, we were afraid it would not even be a 30-hour game. That is a fucking 85-plus-hour game. Easily.

My kind of game ;)
(edit: meaning that I expect an 80h range even if he will not commit to that :) )

Last edited:
I don't like tiny onscreen characters, but other than that the game looked okay. This is old tech. I wasn't a big fan of Baldur's Gate or Torment, but I loved NWN and NWN2. I hope the game is more like the latter two games; except for the bugs.

I think my problem with Obsidian's writing resolves around the relationships between male and female characters. It's like none of these guys have ever been in a real relationship with a female. Have any of the Obsidian team been married for 20+ years? Name a female in an Obsidian game that was memorable. Imoen, yuk. Jaheira, double yuk. The lesbians from Fallout New Vegas. Ugh!

If the gameplay is like NWN2 minus the bugs though, I'll be extremely pleased. To me, that is where Obsidian shines brightest. Their stories outside of female companions are also very well told. I enjoyed Boone and if you thought of Veronica as a male, she was a hoot too. I used a mod to make her male in my game. The mutant lady was great fun, thinking of you as her grandson, etc.

Any word on the release date?

Sometime in 2014 (as mentioned in the teaser). The Kickstarter had an estimated release of April but that assuming their funding goal of $1.1 million. However, because they got three times that and since games are always delayed, I'm guessing it will be late 2014. Considering they'll taking a poll regarding additional stretch goals (extra companions and wilderness areas) I could see it getting pushed to early 2015.

If you go to that interview and check out one of the first links, you get this meaty preview:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/10/mega-impressions-obsidians-pillars-of-eternity/

Excellent reading. The golden era setting with all sorts of ethical issues regarding souls and what not sounds very interesting to be honest. Personally, I'm a bit tired of what Sawyer refers to as " the ancient empire that figured out everything, and somehow they had a great cataclysm and everyone that follows is nothing compared to these dudes", so I'm glad they're heading in a different direction.

After a second viewing, I absolutely love the spell effects. This is the best implementation of D&D spells that I can remember seeing. I loved the minor globe of invulnerability especially, though I wonder how they can get by with such blatant rip offs of AD&D staples. Aren't those spells copywrighted? I hope not. Obsidian nailed the look. Unless they got permission, which is possible I suppose.

Dungeon Siege 3 didn't was quite stable and that was Obsidian last released game.

They also don't have publisher pressure to release with PoE too, the game will have a beta…

They also have fairly limited budget which means less time to polish.
There will be bugs it wouldn't be proper Obsidian/Black isle game without them :).

I think my problem with Obsidian's writing resolves around the relationships between male and female characters. It's like none of these guys have ever been in a real relationship with a female. Have any of the Obsidian team been married for 20+ years? Name a female in an Obsidian game that was memorable. Imoen, yuk. Jaheira, double yuk.
Kreia, although I guess she doesn't count. I found both female companions in MotB to be quite good, Fall-From-Grace as well. If I had to pick the best it would, ironically, be the most abstract one, Deionarra.

I think my problem with Obsidian's writing resolves around the relationships between male and female characters. It's like none of these guys have ever been in a real relationship with a female. Have any of the Obsidian team been married for 20+ years? Name a female in an Obsidian game that was memorable. Imoen, yuk. Jaheira, double yuk. The lesbians from Fallout New Vegas. Ugh!

Imoen and Jaheira were written by BioWare though, not Black Isle/Obsidian. Black Isle/Obsidian female companions include the likes of Annah, Fall-From-Grace, Kreia, Safiya, Kaelyn the Dove, Handmaiden, Visas and so on.

Beyond the companions, you'll also find one of my favourite female NPCs: Ravel, from Planescape: Torment.

Looking good, happy to backed this one

Baldur's Gate is a Bioware game, not Obsidian, and in-game romance are more common in Bioware games

Ooh, good. At least the abhorable Jaheira wasn't their product. I killed her so many times, but would reload because I was lawful good :)

After a second viewing, I absolutely love the spell effects. This is the best implementation of D&D spells that I can remember seeing. I loved the minor globe of invulnerability especially, though I wonder how they can get by with such blatant rip offs of AD&D staples. Aren't those spells copywrighted? I hope not. Obsidian nailed the look. Unless they got permission, which is possible I suppose.

Copyright is exclusive to published content (i.e. copying text, images, videos without consent). Copy pasting the description of the fireball spells in the Master guide is not legal, making your own fireball with its own description is perfectly legal. The only spells that are legally protected in D&D are those with trademarked names, in this case just rename the spell...

Yeah, I played Skyrim soooo much it was getting hard to pay att… what? ;)

Numina, Eternity, and Divinity. Three blasts from the past to play with before Star Citizen and the Rift haul us into the next age of gaming!

What's the Rift, haven't heard of that -- not the MMO from a few years back? Really excited to see PoE released as well.

Ooh, good. At least the abhorable Jaheira wasn't their product. I killed her so many times, but would reload because I was lawful good :)

Ah! What a shameful admission - I'm shocked, I tell you! Shocked! (I wanted to…:-o)

"Khaaaaaalid! Why did you dieeeeee?
Ja-Ja-Ja-hiera? Bu-But I'm *not* dead!?
*SMACK*
Khaaaaaaaaliddd *sob*

I'm excited!! :D Looks like enhanced version of BG series... ooh this is seriously first time I got really excited over Obsidian game.... I really hope NPC interaction will be as good as BG2... This and ToN will make me totally happy :D

I don't like tiny onscreen characters, but other than that the game looked okay.

Where do you see tiny onscreen characters? The characters are sized perfectly for an isometric game imo, and I'm guessing there will probably be some ability to zoom in/out as well.

Back
Top Bottom