Votes: 23 19.0%
  • 2001-2005

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • 2006-2010

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 2011-2016

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Das Schwarze Auge: Die Schicksalsklinge a.k.a Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny in 1993 :)
Thanks for the year. It wasn't BoD for me (though I remember watching over the shoulder of someone playing it), but definitely one of the RPGs of that era.

While I discovered my love for real RPGs in the early 80s, the cRPG bug didn't bite me until the 1991 to 1995 era, and it became more intense the less party management was involved.

First module I ever played with my dwarf fighter named Masher. He conquered Keep on the Borderlands. That was around 1980-81.

First CRPG was Wizardry. That was around 1982 on an Apple 2. Masher once again was victorious in his first computer adventure slaying Werdna.

I picked 1991-1995. I picked up Ultima VII in a bargain bin, probably in 1993. Was completely blown away. I picked up Dark Sun in a gaming mag soon afterwards, and my CRPG love was forever cemented.

Tabletop games, I started with games like Diplomacy, Axis and Allies, The Third Reich, and eventually graduated to Dungeons and Dragons.

Computer-wise I started with Wizardry One, and played every single crpg that game out for probably the next 15 yrs. Even today I prefer the older games most of the time to the newer ones. If I remember right, I was playing Wizardry one in 1982 on an Apple two.

I loved RPGs before I knew what RPGs were. In 1987, just starting college, some little store popped up in a mall near my house, it sold pirated games for PC (this was totally fine in South America). Since I had recently bought my first "PC-compatible" computer, I perused their selection and saw one game called 'Wizardry', which I bought. First game that had me playing overnight, and it did it several days (not in a row).

Only a few months later some friend talked to me about a game group he just joined in college, they played a game called 'Dungeons & Dragons' and described it to me, it sounded glorious. I asked him if I could join the group, I joined and the rest of my life was decided right there.

I'm an RPG lifer.

I was born in '85, and I would say that around '91-95 is when I first started getting into the genre, closer to '91. It started by renting games at the local video store and the rest is history.

I'm 30 years old now, and I feel even when I'm much older I will still love RPGs. There is something about them that speaks deeply to me and fuels my creative passion. Been playing for over 20 years and love them more than ever. :)

1984 I was 14 in grade 9 and was handed a disc with Ultima 3 on it in computer class for my brand new C-64.

Before that had played games on intel vision.

Ultima IV, 1985

I have lost many eighths since then.

BG2 was my first RPG, but I was waiting for it to be released with anticipation despite not having played BG. That might have something to do with the fact that I loved the Forgotten Realms when I was in high school and once I got the access to the internet I looked for more FR stuff online.

I loved the game and stick with the genre ever since (and RPGdot which I stumble upon around the same time and then RPGWatch as a lurker until I decide to not be as shy). Prior to that I was playing space sims, shooters and Myst-like adventure games (I still got my Riven box). I still play space sims, but shooters and adventure games not so much.

In either 7th or 8th grade, I went to the University of Illinois for a music contest. I had mad piano skillz :) While there looking in a bookshop, I came across a used copy of Chainmail, which was an early precursor to Dungeons and Dragons. I didn't really play it a whole lot until 1979, when I went back and got more books.

As far as on a computer, I'm sure it was an early mainframe version of Zork. It was probably around the same time frame as Chainmail. That was just a text game, but it opened up my eyes to the possibility of "gaming" on a pc. After that was Temple of Apshai on the Commodore PET at school. I was a rabid Commodore fan; owning almost all of their systems: VIC20, C64, C128, Amiga. I bought an IBM around the same time as the Amiga and eventually made the swap.

Back in the early '90s I was an Amiga fan with a 500Plus and a 1200. At that stage I would play any genre of game providing it was fun. I suppose it was my "formative years" for computer games. Anyway I picked up a few RPGs - EotB, EotB2 and a few others - along with the rest. These I really liked.

Then we had some of the publishers stating that they planned to withdraw support for the Amiga and I wanted, no had to, play the Ultima series. Next stop was a local computer seller, Crocodile Computers, and I became the proud owner of a 486 PC and a copy of UW2.

Though I delve into adventure and Civ-type games I always end up back with RPGs. Obsessed? Addicted? I don't know but they make down time a lot more fun.

In the early 80s I owned a C64 and I loved simple top down dungeon crawlers

Gateway to Apshai
Telengard
Sword of Fargoal

I answered 86 to 90 for the poll, since Might and Magic I was my first real RPG love.

The Apshai games though were even earlier. I played one of those when I was six years old in that C64. The game needed keyboard controls that were spread across the keyboard but too far apart for me to reach them all quickly. I used to have my brother press the buttons on one side of the keyboard.

Almost forgot about those games until Hidden mentioned them. I should look to see if I can find them for nostalgia's sake.

OMG, so many people has such a good memory here, I usually have a good memory!! but this I can actually not remember so well.

It was somewhere between 1989 and 1991, I am not sure which was the first RPG, I played exactly, but might have been the Bard's tale on C64. One game I do remember very well though is Swords and Serpants for the NES ( 1990 ), it was probably the first RPG that I really was obsessed with. You could get a random reward from "fatal the blue" or something like that if you fought well, which made the game much easier. You could also play it in co-op, which made us sit for a very long time together and play.

Last edited:
Shadowrun on the SNES, in 1995 I think. At around the same time I discovered just how fun pen & paper RPGs can be. It was not until 1997 that I really got into CRPGs though, as that was when my family got a PC, and I had the chance to play great games like the early Ultimas (and being really confused and not being able to figure out what to do), Daggerfall, Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny (trying to replay it made me realize that this game was in fact not great), Fallout and a few other.

Eye of The Beholder was the one that got me, picked it up when I got an Amiga 1200 back in 92 or 93.

Back
Top Bottom