Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Both NWN 1+2 Mods

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Never Played Any Mods

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Used to But Not Now

Votes: 29 42.6%

• Total voters
I remember purchasing the NWN Diamond Edition some years back with the sole intention of playing through all of the extra modules from Kingmaker. Unfortunately I got constantly distracted by other games, though I did check out a few fan made mods of the time, the most memorable of which was one called "HexA-Coda" which I quite liked.

This thread serves as a timely gentle reminder that still I do have an utter plethora of NWN content still to experience. :)

Wow ... thread resurrection! Hmmm ... looks like I voted but didn't comment. I never used any mods - played some third-party modules years ago but not any mods that change anything from the core main game.

Which ... I am replaying now. Am in Chapter 2, very much enjoying my run-through :)

Well, that's basically what everyone thinks of, when saying Nwn "mods".
I remember Dream Catcher Saga, that stood out, in particular. Also that...what was it?...Twillight, Dawn saga?...really amazing quality, but I think it never got finished.

Eh…I've tried my time-tested method of downloading everything and dumping everything together, but it didn't quite work out as I hoped.
If I remember right, some of the earliest mods( Rose of something?), would not work with latest patches, community or otherwise.
So it's best to start from first patches and then work your way up…so to speak?

I've only ever played with the last 2 official patches I think, v1.68 and then v1.69. Never had a problem that I can recall, I've played about 20 - 30 user made modules, not Rose of Eternity (yet) however.

Have had my install going for many years. Lots of mods - NWNCQ, Old Mans Beard OHS party members, the reforged weapon mods, animation packages, hensu's (?) hands etc etc.

After my override folder started to balloon I started using JGSME I think it's called, is a mod manager. Isn't to difficult to use but you have to have a little bit of a clue about managing files. You can also do a thing called preloading HAK files as patches but you probably don't need to worry about that. Like recent TES games there's a great deal of fancy esoteric footwork that can be done modding NWN.

Anyway as to patching I believe you only need to install 1.69, it has everything from all the previous patches and I don't really recall it breaking anything. IIRC the community patch is up to 1.71 I think but I've haven't used it. You can also get all the additional premium modules that were released for free if you dig around the forums.

Have fun. Is an awesome little framework for D&D stories. Still one of my fav's.

-kaos

Eh…I've tried my time-tested method of downloading everything and dumping everything together, but it didn't quite work out as I hoped.
If I remember right, some of the earliest mods( Rose of something?), would not work with latest patches, community or otherwise.

Rose of Eternity? I've tried to install some of NWN mods last year, but couldn't get them to work - and all of them said compatible with latest patch. So I gave up on it :( It's a shame, there are tons of fantastic NWN mods out there.

Does anyone know of a mod that's dungeon oriented? I know about EotB and Lord of Terror - but are there others?

I'm in the mood for a proper dungeon experience :)

You can open a mod that doesn’t work for you in the NWN toolset and it will tell you what files are missing. You should be able to access the NWN toolset from the initial out of game loading menu.

Generally I have never seen a mod that doesn’t work with the latest patch. Then again I have the disk version, maybe it’s different if you are using the steam version.

The release of SoU and the patch associated with it broke quite a number of scripts by switching the order of arguments in several procedures. It was hugely controversial for doing this as it broke the HCR which the majority of mods used at the time. Though they claimed it was their intention to improve the engine a lot of NWers suspected it was part of Bio's planned obsolescence. So caveat emptor for those early mods pre-SoU.

There's also been a number of bug fixes which changed functionality that was used to compensate. i.e. I discovered my captain's chair in my Star Trek mod now faces the other way.

So what about NWN 2 mods? I've been meaning to see how those turned out, but I've heard the community was nowhere near as strong...Obs, apparently messed up the toolkit.

So what about NWN 2 mods? I've been meaning to see how those turned out, but I've heard the community was nowhere near as strong…Obs, apparently messed up the toolkit.

Yeah, that was a real shame - I remember that the module-dev folks were excited, then disappointed at the reality of what was released.

Obsidian focused too much on the singleplayer campaign, but it's hard to blame them - as the opposite was the main criticism directed towards the first game.

The problem with NWN2 and mods, I suspect, is that they went from rigid tile-based creation to environments that required a lot more hand-holding and fine-tuning to look right.

If they'd spent more time developing terrain generating scripts or whatever, I'm sure it would have been better.

Unfortunately, the engine was clearly the result of typical Obsidian-level tinkering - as it was slow and clunky as hell. It didn't look all that great, either.

I really wish I could find my old NWN2 reviews ... both sites I was writing for at the time have gone bye-bye ... but in my add-on comment to Corwin's review I said a lot of what you noted. Sad ...

Yes, I've spent far more time on #1 than #2. NWN2 just feels kind of claustrophobic and clunky compared to NWN. I do much prefer the granular control you have of your party in NWN2 and the better visuals are nice once you tweak them enough and get rid of the god awful weapon models which were the worst of any game I've ever played IMO.

Re modding from what I've read the comments above are pretty much cover it. NWN1 was very accessible and thus many dived in and gave it a go. NWN2 is much less so. Still there are quite a reasonable number of user made NWN2 modules including a Baldurs Gate remake and I believe one of the locals on this board is working on porting Hordes of the Underdark to NWN2 as well.

Edit - btw I checked last night as I couldn't remember the authors name… If you want to try some good PnP module conversions have a look for those done by SirOtus. Have fun :)

-kaos

Well my first post in two months so here we go.;)

Now if anyone is looking for more mods I made list on the forums a few months back on HiddenX's thread. If has both recommendations for NWN & NWN 2 mods.

I actually found the NWN 2 mods to be better in my opinion.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816&page=13

Edit:You can now download the mods FROM three different sites.

1. http://neverwintervault.org/
2. http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter/?
3. http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/?

Last edited:
Yep, I do. I retired so I may go back to working on Orilion Nights, which was my las t PW mod. Corwin referred to it earlier, as he and CM, Jo, and a few others helped in the play testing. Also I included items and references to those play-testers.
Orilion Nights:
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/orilion-nights

Also the key ring, map case, demo available at the same site might interest those who have an interest in the game.
http://neverwintervault.org/project...mapcase-placeable-mover-creature-capture-demo

Last edited:
The main thing was that every module you played would require dl the walk mesh for each module. For creators it was very hard, time consuming, and your map became a huge file. For instance I did 1 detailed area which took up as much space mb's as a 50 area mod in NwN 1.

Some new mods were released in the last few months.

Yes I'm necroing my own thread.:biggrin:

Pilgrim: Chapter 1

Link - https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/pilgrim-chapter-1
The world is dying. Escape is the only hope we have left.

It has been nineteen months since the Great Prophet Imri announced his findings; that the sun's heat, steadily dwindling, would soon ebb beyond all use. That society as we knew it would soon collapse.

In the ensuing chaos, a great pilgrimage of travellers, refugees, and citizens departs for the equatorial lands, desperate to reach a warmer climate and claim a few years more of heat and life.

Amongst them is an escaped house-slave, recently fled from the great northern nation of Thisk…
Pilgrim: Chapter 2

Link - https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/pilgrim-chapter-2
The light is ebbing; the world is dying. And an escaped slave flees south, towards the equator, hoping for a new life at all costs…
As you find yourself shipwrecked upon the savage shores of the Crooktongue Archipelago, you're forced to continue your journey south by other means. Along the way, you'll explore ancient ruins and perilous isles, encounter prophetesses and pirates, and find yourself pursued by a new order that marches in its thousands, burning and pillaging as it goes…
Bedine

Link - https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/bedine
Play as a Bedine tribesman in the sands of the Anauroch.

"What about the was-ey?", a girl asked.

"Can you touch the sun? Can you touch the moon, or touch death? No. The wasa-ey are of the land, and of the Bedine. The sand you sit on and run your fingers and toes through. This is Wasa-ey Sister Sand, Ermal Sheqyeqh. She is as much a threat as At'ar, and just as capricious, but you can touch her, she is more real for us than At'ar. Wasa-ey El Ma'ra Dat-ur Ojhogo inhabits the sandstone spire that bears his name. The spire serves as a lookout place for our scouts, but only because El Ma'ra allows it. If he does not want you to sit upon his head, or if you do not offer him a drop of your drinking water, he will throw you from the spire."

A campaign for first level players. Note: You will have all your equipment destroyed on entry, and will have the opportunity to pick up Bedine appropriate equipment.

Bedine characters do not get any feats automatically, but can select among all feats available to the class as if they are bonus feats, allowing for more flexibility in builds. Thus, fighters do not get any armor or weapon proficiencies automatically at level 1, but can select those feats from their feat pools. In the archetype system, characters get the same number of feats as they would otherwise have. Remember to select at least one weapon feat or you're going to be stuck hitting things with your hands.

Bedine has Storm of Zehir style party generation options, as well as lore appropriate cohorts being available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom