Realms Beyond - Combat Alpha Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Realms Beyond has shown off its combat alpha with a gameplay video.

Ambush in the Forest A battle taken from the alpha version of our combat system. While traveling through woodlands on the worldmap, the player's party has been ambushed by a group of orcs and trolls Reminder: Particularly the user Interface, sounds, FXs and animations are still work in progress. https://www.realms-beyond.com
More information.

I really like the look of this!

Looks good, but whoever was controlling that wizard should be slapped upside the face - level 5 spells (incl N fireballs) and he casts 'acid splash'...and then steps up to a troll and casts a spell within its reach etc. sheesh.

Things I liked
-I like the number of spells available. Also seeing spell descriptions in that much detail is cool.
-The creature models do the job and look good enough.
-I like that spell effects are not making things difficult to follow.
-The combat log was clear and concise.

Some small concerns:
-I hope the animations can be sped up. Animations are a bit sparse.
-The music was a little meandering. I like it when battle music is more purposeful.
-No combat barks apart from creature growls.
-I hope you can turn the grid off.

Looks good, but whoever was controlling that wizard should be slapped upside the face - level 5 spells (incl N fireballs) and he casts 'acid splash'…and then steps up to a troll and casts a spell within its reach etc. sheesh.

But my beautiful web would have been immediately destroyed by fireballs!
Beside that, we've already shown the Fireball spell in a previous video.

Approaching the troll was indeed a huge tactical failure and could have easily lead to a defeat. Fortunately, the troll missed his AoOs, obviously because of the attack malus caused by the entangled state.

-I hope the animations can be sped up. Animations are a bit sparse.
You can already multiply the speed by factor 5 when pressing <SPACE>. Unfortunately I forgot to use it during the capturing :mad:

-No combat barks apart from creature growls.
Voice overs are still not fully implemented, because we still collecting use cases.

-I hope you can turn the grid off.
A slider in the options can set the grid's opacity to zero.

But my beautiful web would have been immediately destroyed by fireballs!
Beside that, we've already shown the Fireball spell in a previous video.

Approaching the troll was indeed a huge tactical failure and could have easily lead to a defeat. Fortunately, the troll missed his AoOs, obviously because of the attack malus caused by the entangled state.

Ah - so the web will actually be destroyed by fire? great! That was an issue in BG where (iirc) you could trap people with web and then just drop fireballs on them until they died. which I did ;-)

One question - what is the spell failure related to?

Is it possible to zoom out more?

Right now, the maximal zoom is shown at 0:18 in the video.

Not sure if we can go further because of the massively increased polycount caused by creatures/characters.

One question - what is the spell failure related to?

Not sure in this case, I think because the mage failed his touch attack. Other reasons could be a successful saving throw by the troll or a failed concentration check by the mage but those two would display with different onscreen messages (Fizzles and Avoided). That kind of information can be found in the detailed combat log.

Ah - so the web will actually be destroyed by fire? great! That was an issue in BG where (iirc) you could trap people with web and then just drop fireballs on them until they died. which I did ;-)?

What do you mean that was an "issue". That was working as intended! Like stealth speed boot scout with fireballs from offscreen :)

I just get a total Goldbox Games vibe out of watching that. It feels like what the series should have evolved into.

@Wisdom; - a lot of combats would have become much, much harder without those endearing (cheesy) features :biggrin:

CHEESE?

Look, if I wasnt mean to kill Drizzt or Elminster, they should not have given them 2 lootable swords and godly armor :)

A shame there's no attacks of opportunity, but overall it looks good for a D&D turnbased game.

Of course there are - D&D 3.5e combat without AoO would be pointless.
But in this combat, I tried to use a 5-foot step to get my characters out of reach.

You see some examples of AoO in the video:
8:42 The orc shaman got killed by the summoned demon when trying to get away
9:30 The barbarian dwarf provocated an AoO by the troll when moving away
17:58 The orc warrior tries to get away and caused an AoO for the dwarf and the
female elf ranger (Aewoyn) and got killed by her
21:06 Aewoyn passes the troll and provocated an AoO

Probably, we need to add an onscreen message for attack of opportunities.

gameplay looks really good, but they should hire a visual designer because graphic and color wise it looks atrocious

gameplay looks really good, but they should hire a visual designer because graphic and color wise it looks atrocious

Wut? I don't agree at all. The colors for instance are nicely muted and aren't as saturated as you see in many other modern games. A nice change if you ask me.
I went to the media page and checked out their screenshots. Looks really good to me. Feels very DnD. https://www.realms-beyond.com/media/

I already like the look of this and will buy anyway. Combat animations could be a bit faster in general, though. Always hitting Space could become tedious. I hope there will be some options.

Great job so far, hobo!

Back
Top Bottom