What's your favourite Bioware RPG franchise?

What's your favourite Bioware RPG franchise?

• Baldur's Gate

Votes: 72 43.6%
  • Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Jade Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mass Effect

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Dragon Age

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I can't choose

• I don't do franchises

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don't like Bioware

• Total voters
NWN was really good, Mass Effect kept me busy for a while but I got bored soon. Never played Baldur's Gate tough, I missed when it was released. I tried this year but could not get into it.

Wow, tough crowd in general. But I tend to agree in part. If you look at all these games without some silly mist of nostalgia, you will recognise that the old style games..even the much vaunted Planescape:Torment..of which I am a fan..is ACTUALLY light years away from the deeper emotional exploration of many later Bioware games. ME is a bit of an anomaly that splits fans into fantasy and anything that is not fantasy groups. And then you have to consider each game as a product of its time..or DO you? I think not. DA is unquestionably the best game IF you can factor out nostalgia, EA takovers (and subsequently the whole Origin debacle), and the introduction of that nefarious DISEASE - the DLC. Then there is that problematic word "franchise" again..whilst DA2 and DAI each have their merits..neither comes close to the full version of the original and its expansion. And yet everything I have written here is about a single player experience…and for that reason I stand by my original vote of NWN.

N.B. You really should keep in mind that every modern Bioware game comes with prejudice before it first leaves the shelf due to the weight of expectation and hype laid upon it. This expectation will, in turn, colour your own appraisal.

Can't you have an opinion without making it a truth for others to discover? :)

There's no "best" game here, there are opinions - that is all.

DA is unquestionably the best game IF you can factor out nostalgia, EA takovers (and subsequently the whole Origin debacle), and the introduction of that nefarious DISEASE - the DLC.

That is a lot of "IF"s :)

Ah, Bioware... how I loved their games back in good old days :) Btw, I'm not surprised JE has 0 vote...

My second pick would have been Jade Empire. Compared to Baldur's though, it just fell woefully short. Including Dragon Age Two with the first automatically disqualified the franchise for me immediately.

Unquestionably Baldurs Gate has been the most fun series for me. Lots of fun tactical combat with myriad possibilities and a world to explore. It took your character through a journey and at the end you achieved catharsis for you and your companions.

A not close second would be Kotor followed closely by Mass Effect. These games while upping the stakes in terms of setpieces felt smaller than Baldurs Gate(s) and didn't have as big a world to explore. They really didn't compare on the content front and the encounter design is so much better in Baldurs Gate 2.

I'm quite surprised no-one's voted for Jade Empire. Normally in polls you get the "Hawthorne effect (also referred to as the observer effect) [which] is a type of reactivity in which individuals modify or improve an aspect of their behavior in response to their awareness of being observed."

ie: Normally someone will vote for it just because no-one has voted for it. Poor ol' Jade can't even get that!

I suppose, for all those that considered it their 2nd or 3rd or whatever choice a better poll would have a points system. It would be quite scary if we did that and it came out top though! mwhahahaaaa

Jade empire is a fun orginal game, but it pales in comparasion to other bioware titles. Jade empire has a very nice story and I warmly recommand playing it if you enjoy kung fu films and arcade action games.

Yeah voted baldur's gate btw. :)

Selected can't choose, I don't really have a favorite. I don't consider Star Wars, Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate as BioWare's franchises, they are all licenses. This leave Jade Empire, Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Jade Empire was cliché and the gameplay was so-so, but it had the best story twists in all of BioWare's games outside of Revan's reveal. I personally wish they would bring the setting back, it had potential (and I love Wuxia).

Dragon Age started with potential, but I feel like they failed to realize it. Revealing the setting in a breadcrumb fashion is hurting the franchise now and DAI felt quite impersonal with the way you ended up learning about events by reading reports at the war table most of the time.

Mass Effect started nice too, but then it became all about real world and self-references and lets throw logic out of the window so Shepard Jesus can save the Galaxy. I'm not sure what to expect for game 4.

Although, I think I rate Mass effect over Dragon Age, but that might because I feel starved for Scifi-Fiction RPGs (and the BioWare game I replayed the most is ME2).

I'll pick I can't choose as I never played a BioWare game I didn't like. Anyway not many RPG developers can claim to have been in business for twenty years like BioWare.:cool:

I think Jade Empire is middling at best.

Agreed, the characters were fairly average at best (some of the dialogue could get pretty stilted and dull, like the "conflict" that could occur between Silk Fox and Dawn Star), the morality system (despite early and half-hearted attempts at the beginning of the game to the contrary) was essentially the same banal 'good/evil' system found in their other games, along with some of the quests being rather average (others were brilliant though, I absolutely loved the part when 'Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard', voiced by none other than John Cleese, shows up).

Saying all that, I admired the fantasy oriental setting and Bioware's gusto in tackling it, as well as the rather enjoyable combat system* and the way they integrated it into the world and story. So all up, while not their best effort, it certainly was quite enjoyable, if for the setting, story (certain aspects), combat system and overall charm of the game if nothing else.

*until I broke said system by discovering an exploit through manupulating certain styles, but that mainly worked on individual opponents and could only occur later on in the game if I remember correctly

I'll pick I can't choose as I never played a BioWare game I didn't like. Anyway not many RPG developers can claim to have been in business for twenty years like BioWare.:cool:

I can't choose either.

BTW, Couch, I can't get into your hideout at the moment. Your forum host seems to really hate VPNs, and keeps telling me my IP is banned. The VPN is setup on my router, so it's hard to circumvent.

Baldur's Gate by a country mile. Love the characters, love the world, love the combat. It's a series that I still make a point to revisit fairly regularly. <3

Baldur's Gate was my vote. Classic series. All the games were of a high standard. I would put Dragon Age, the original one, as second. That was a great last effort and love letter to all the Baldur's Gate fans before the founder guys left the company... Have not played any of the sequels or the Mass Effect series, just not interested. I did try NWN 1, but didn't think it was compelling enough to keep playing, and lost interest.

I'm not interested in social agendas being injected in rpg games, or promoting political agendas in games, (re: Biowares whole-hearted embrace of the social justice warrior agenda/garbage) so the new Bioware games just don't do anything for me and aren't appealing. Bioware is not the same great company it once was, that is for sure. I think the heart and soul of Bioware left when the founders left the company, now its just another corporate shill type company, pumping out sequels to the same tired and hackneyed franchises every year. Just like the Call of Duty series has become.

Last edited:
It's incredibly difficult to just pick one. I was going to go with Baldur's Gate but I had to choose NWN. I spent the most time with NWN, and it's the only game that made me spend countless hours learning its scripting language so I could design and DM better campaigns for my friends. It also had the longest replayability for this reason.

I actually voted for Mass Effect, even though BG2 is my all time favorite game. As a franchise, I find ME far more interesting and with a lot more potential than BG. We're lacking proper science fiction RPGs, and it doesn't seem as if that's going to change anytime soon.

Of course, Star Wars would win by a landslide if it was a matter of overall franchise, but I assume only KotOR1 and TOR are included, and they're not enough to rival BG or ME for me.

Eh...BG, though it REALLY should have been an entire game than expansion to conclude it the trilogy.
Mass Effect, had the potential, invented nothing new, but cleverly combined different sci fi material that it made it seem it's own thing... still living in denial of ME3, so it's more of a dilogy in my book.
Dragon Age is well below either of these.

I probably spend around 10k hours working on NwN modules, scripts, etc..
There will probably never be another game like it in regards to flexibility and ease of creation. You could literally design your own world.

I probably spend around 10k hours working on NwN modules, scripts, etc..
There will probably never be another game like it in regards to flexibility and ease of creation. You could literally design your own world.

Yep and I played quite a few of your worlds/campaigns. :) Long time no see, even on Skype. Welcome back.

Back
Top Bottom