Diablo 1

G

Saw the game at a finnish online store for 4eur. Remembered all the fun I had with it back then ~10 years ago on LAN. Didn't own the game - had loaned it from a friend - we did that much here those days. Diablo2 didn't have the atmosphere and it was too all over the place. There was something great about the simple dungeon diving with a dark atmosphere if you had a couple of friends to play it with.

So I ordered it among a couple of other games I bought from there. Do you know if it's still supported on battle net or something? Know anyone who (might want to) still play it?

Can't really answer your questions, but have you tried the Diablo campaign mod for Neverwinter Nights?

It's called "Lord of Terror" and it's just about the single best mod for NWN that I've tried. Had tons of fun with it during long LAN sessions, and it's pretty damn good at keeping the Diablo feeling intact - whilst being easier on the eyes and with the superb D&D character system to boot!

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really interested in mods.

And given the choice between the nice 2d graphics of Diablo 1 and the 3D camera nonsense of NWN1 (or 2, for that matter) I prefer the isometric 2D thank you very much :D

To each his own, but you don't know what you're missing my friend ;)

The original NWN had no camera issues to speak of, at least not that I can remember. NWN2 had plenty, but that's another story.

Anyway, just a friendly suggestion.

To each his own, but you don't know what you're missing my friend ;)

The original NWN had no camera issues to speak of, at least not that I can remember. NWN2 had plenty, but that's another story.

Anyway, just a friendly suggestion.

Yeah, I don't mean camera issues. I played thru NWN1 oc and all the official expansions. I don't remember having issues with the NWN2 camera either once I got it patched & configured to my liking. But isometric 2D is my only true love - Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout 2, Diablo 1, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale .. you get the picture :D I'd take that over all the 3D stuff anyday.

The atmosphere of the original Diablo is way better than Diablo II.

If you love the original you must get the official Hellfire addon and then install 'The Dark'. 'The Dark' is a truly awesome and extremely hard modification which is done properly and to perfection. You'll never want to play the original Diablo again without it. I highly recommend it to fans of the original game.

http://www.thedark5.com/

I logged into BN last year, so my guess is it's still supported.

Yeah, the original Diablo had something going for it in terms of atmosphere - I'll grant you that.

But I DID love the jungle environment of Diablo 2 - even if it did go on for too long.

I don't consider Diablo 1 entertaining any more. I loved it when it came out before the war, but nowadays it's so fugly that not much of its great atmosphere is left.

Diablo 2 never did anything for me.

Besides the link provided by Dagar (very interesting btw, thanks) all you got is graphics whore answers? How ugly the game is?!

That makes me a saaaaaaaaaaad panda.

tai_shan.jpg

Hm. My reaction was that Diablo 1 was just a dumbed-down, nerfed version of NetHack with fancy graphics...

Hm. My reaction was that Diablo 1 was just a dumbed-down, nerfed version of NetHack with fancy graphics...

Yes it pretty much was just exactly that. However it had a couple of things that, in this case, made all the difference.

- Multiplayer
- Atmosphere (the music, ambient sounds and all the dark gory stuff)
- The fact that you could play it 20h straight with a friend or two without getting frustrated dying all the time
- The item collecting hook

Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOVE roguelikes, but Diablo1 is - due to these things - something else.

Cooperative multiplayer, great production values, and an emphasis on phat l00t pretty much sealed the deal. I had a strong negative reaction to the game at first, but my brother forced me to try it, and as we got The Butcher down and I saw my first unique item, I was sold.

Blizzard are masters of stealing solid concepts and turning them into quality products for the masses. Of course, this was Bliz North - which isn't there anymore, so I'm expecting D3 to be more like WoW than D1/D2 in style and atmosphere.

I used to hold a grudge against them in the past, for stealing everything good in Dune 2 so blatantly - and basically reskinning it and adding multiplayer. But now I've accepted that's just what they do - and since they're so damn good at it, well - there's not much to bitch about I guess.

Cooperative multiplayer, great production values, and an emphasis on phat l00t pretty much sealed the deal. I had a strong negative reaction to the game at first, but my brother forced me to try it, and as we got The Butcher down and I saw my first unique item, I was sold.

You pretty much nailed it right there.
With this thread I was hoping to maybe find some diablo owner who would like to do some cooperative on a battlenet server, or maybe someone who would be interested to try the game out since the game is dirt cheap now. It runs on Xp and vista etc

...and the atmosphere... oh, the atmosphere!

AHHHHHH FRESH MEAT!

i remember the first few times i encountered "The Butcher", it was terrifying in a way. Good times!

I used to hold a grudge against them in the past, for stealing everything good in Dune 2 so blatantly - and basically reskinning it and adding multiplayer. But now I've accepted that's just what they do - and since they're so damn good at it, well - there's not much to bitch about I guess.

Dune 2 was not the first RTS game, it was just the first to really be mainstream. Besides, it's not as if other companies weren't going to start making them anyways, Blizzard just happened to be the first.

Dune 2 was not the first RTS game, it was just the first to really be mainstream. Besides, it's not as if other companies weren't going to start making them anyways, Blizzard just happened to be the first.

Actually, Westwood invented the term real-time strategy - so yeah, it was the first one. But it's true, there were games before Dune 2 with similar elements, but they don't change what Dune 2 did.

Back
Top Bottom