Cyberpunk 2077 - Interviews on Design

Well, if you don't like violence in games or the concept of a bleak future - then I think it's safe to say a Cyberpunk game is not for you :)

From what little we've heard about it - it sounds like there are ways to get around the violence and talk your way out of most fights.

That would be my preference. I don't mind violence in games - I just don't like being forced into it, if there's a plausible scenario around it.

As for superfluous violence, that's another thing. It's true that games have a tendency to glorify that stuff.

I guess it's an American thing because you can't have tits without feeling too naughty. Saturating your surroundings with brain matter is, I guess, your preferred alternative ;)

But for a Cyberpunk game, I think both are appropriate as part of the setting.

I was much more disturbed by the latest Last of Us 2 trailer. That smacked of over-the-top violence under highly implausible circumstances.

As if the first one didn't? :)

I found the first one much more subdued in that way. Violence was used sparingly to much greater effect.

Like the post-almost-rape scene, where it was highly appropriate.

Some of the kills took place off screen, too.

I'm talking about human-on-human violence, which is the disturbing part.

For non-humans, violence doesn't really disturb me in the same way.

But the trailer showed us a little girl running around slaughtering people in the most extreme ways imaginable.

Which might have worked if the game was a power fantasy, like Tomb Raider.

But Last of Us, at least to me, is a much more subtle and plausible setting - or at least it used to be.

I had some difficulty with the Ellie bow-and-arrow scenes in the first game, but I was already so invested in the story and it wasn't over-the-top violence to the same degree.

The entire section when you took control of Ellie was that way. I recall complaining about how implausible it was back then especially given her age at the time. It's not a deal-breaker, as that sequence is only a small part of the game, but it's definitely my least favorite section for sure.

The only difference is that now the visuals and animations are more realistic, so it looks even more visceral.

I thought it was somewhat odd that they only showed human foes in the trailer for Part 2. I hope it's not an indication that the infected are taking a back seat in the sequel.

Well, if you don't like violence in games or the concept of a bleak future - then I think it's safe to say a Cyberpunk game is not for you :)
Hello mr. Trump.
It's a damned videogame, not a military simulator. And it's not real people, it's dolls. It's violating ones and zeros, not living creatures.
Now, there can be a reason where a game isn't one's pair of shoes, but violence among digital barbies and kens? Meh.

I guess it's an American thing because you can't have tits without feeling too naughty.
Naughty? Eh? Whatever.
Tits rock. Real, sculptured, drawn or digital. No reason to feel naughty unless one sees them for the first time in 10 years. No, I refuse to say obsessed and naughty is the same thing. I'm just obsessed.

Last of Us 2
Neverheard. Another coop MMO?

The entire section when you took control of Ellie was that way. I recall complaining about how implausible it was back then. It's not deal-breaker, as that sequence is only a small part of the game, but it's definitely my least favorite section for sure.

The only difference is that now the visuals and animations are more realistic, so it looks even more visceral.

I thought it was somewhat odd that they only showed human foes in the trailer for Part 2. I hope it's not an indication that the infected are taking a back seat in the sequel.

I admit, I don't recall that section all that well - apart from the end of it.

I think my problem here is that the last two trailers we've seen are almost entirely saturated in violence.

Maybe when I play the game, I won't be bothered as much - because I'm invested and the scenarios might make more sense.

I'm getting that "let's shock people because it's cool" vibe from it, like I did with Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. There is such a thing as going too far without magically becoming better or more "mature".

I know they want violence to be "realistic" - but it has the opposite effect for me, when the circumstances are so laughably unrealistic - as we seem to agree on.

It simply makes me immune to it and I lose interest - which is clearly not what they're going for.

If they wanted to have an impact, then Ellie should be knocked out by the first hit - and then raped and left for dead.

That would be plausible and realistic.

As for the infected, I fear LoU2 will be much more about human versus human.

Which is a step in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

I admit, I don't recall that section all that well - apart from the end of it.

I think my problem here is that the last two trailers we've seen are almost entirely saturated in violence.

Maybe when I play the game, I won't be bothered as much - because I'm invested and the scenarios might make more sense.

I'm getting that "let's shock people because it's cool" vibe from it, like I did with Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. There is such a thing as going too far without magically becoming better or more "mature".

I know they want violence to be "realistic" - but it has the opposite effect for me, when the circumstances are so laughably unrealistic - as we seem to agree on.

It simply makes me immune to it and I lose interest - which is clearly not what they're going for.

If they wanted to have an impact, then Ellie should be knocked out by the first hit - and then raped and left for dead.

That would be plausible and realistic.

As for the infected, I fear LoU2 will be much more about human versus human.

Which is a step in the wrong direction, if you ask me.

Yeah, I share your doubt. I've been skeptical of the sequel ever since they announced that Ellie is the main protagonist and that the primary theme is about hate and revenge.

TLoU is a tough act to follow though, and sequels rarely live up to games that good. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

@Darth Tagnan; welcome back!! Is the new forum name any indication of things to come? :lol:

Also, @lostforever; - I'm glad you finally realised how fun ESO can be, even if the combat is a little clunky ;)

Could be :) But remember that even Vader was redeemed in the end!
Yes thats true! There is hope for all us still :)

Also, @lostforever; - I'm glad you finally realised how fun ESO can be, even if the combat is a little clunky ;)
Yes, being away from things completely and coming back make you see things in different light! ESO is an excellent single player game with optional multiplier :) This is exactly what I need in my life right now or more like have time for!

I've been reading that snipped from news article at the beginning of this thread, and I sense something I don't quite like : People will want to look "cool" throughout this game. I bet there'll be myriabnds of character builds almost only relying on the "cool" stat. I mean, being "cool" is something desired in RL, like with gangsta rappers. Now, this "cool" stat might turn everyone into a gangsta rapper within that game, I think. There'll be little differfence, and those trying out something different will be called "uncool" in forums, a twist on the RL meaning of the word.

I can see it : Hordes of "badass looking" = "cool" characters ...

There is a huge difference between just looking cool and behaving cool in variety of "mishaps".

Dunno about you, but I don't plan to play dress up Barbie in CP2077 and I definetly won't overthink if my choices are "cool". ;)

"Cool" was described as something context dependent: Being cool and equipped/clothed for one place would not be the best bet for others places. Some places are secluded wealthy elite zones, others are heavily tech, some are slums etc ..

Cool is just the CP version of Charisma, in a slightly more elaborate form.

I don't think D&D games made people call each other "uncharismatic" on forums. People usually don't need games to find a reason to insult each other.

No, it's a stat (one of 6) - just like it was in the PnP game.

But it's a stat that's involved in a variety of mechanisms, including dialogues and certain advantages you can gain based on how "cool" you are.

Again, it's like the Charisma stat in D&D - only more elaborate than in most D&D games.

Back
Top Bottom